BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Update #3: Just got a call from the service advisor & he said they noticed there was a little bit of oil leaking so it turns out there's a bad O-ring (they have a new one in-stock) that was manufactured in the DCT. Thus, there wasn't enough pressure to physically shift the gears (or something along those lines he said) & the reason why almost everytime I hit the paddles there was no gear shifting. There is no damage to the DCT other than the bad O-ring however they have to replace the DCT oil fluid which as you all know isn't the same as a regular 6MT oil fluid. He's going to call on Monday to make sure one of the national warehouses has this oil in stock then have it shipped overnight & if everything goes according to plan I should be able to get the car back on Tuesday. I hope this is the situation & nothing more. On a good note, they gave me a 750Li as a loaner.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Update #3: Just got a call from the service advisor & he said they noticed there was a little bit of oil leaking so it turns out there's a bad O-ring (they have a new one in-stock) that was manufactured in the DCT. Thus, there wasn't enough pressure to physically shift the gears (or something along those lines he said) & the reason why almost everytime I hit the paddles there was no gear shifting. There is no damage to the DCT other than the bad O-ring however they have to replace the DCT oil fluid which as you all know isn't the same as a regular 6MT oil fluid. He's going to call on Monday to make sure one of the national warehouses has this oil in stock then have it shipped overnight & if everything goes according to plan I should be able to get the car back on Tuesday. I hope this is the situation & nothing more. On a good note, they gave me a 750Li as a loaner.
wow, that is a better result than most of us expected. hopefully you don't have any more problems after the o-ring is replaced. enjoy that 750Li!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Now I am back on track for an M-DCT. Oh it is late, the car is waiting in Welt for pickup. I just hope that, that is the only problem and it looks like the service manager is on top of it. Nice loaner also.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #26
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
wow, that is a better result than most of us expected. hopefully you don't have any more problems after the o-ring is replaced. enjoy that 750Li!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
Thanks for the update. Now I am back on track for an M-DCT. Oh it is late, the car is waiting in Welt for pickup. I just hope that, that is the only problem and it looks like the service manager is on top of it. Nice loaner also.
Thx guys! I'm crossing my fingers this is the only issue but we'll find out on Tuesday for sure. Yeah, that 750Li is a bad mofo!!! Silky smooth v8, lots of interior room, handles good for such a large vehicle. I can't imagine how much better the new one debuting on July 5th will be. The only thing I didn't like was the iDrive menu. If anyone thinks iDrive on an M3 is confusing (it's not really once u play around w/it for 5-10 mins) then they'll think the iDrive in a 7-series is just plain whack...After playing w/it for 15-20 mins, I still can't find the audio (bass, treble, etc.) settings & how to extend the thigh support on the seat, lol. They usually let M3 owners get a 335i or a Z4 but this time was an exception b/c of the obvious.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Final Update: Picked up the M3 yesterday mid-day & everything runs fine now, phew! Dealership was suppose to get the M-DCT oil/fluid this past Tuesday since it was to be overnighted on Monday. However, it didn't arrive until Friday afternoon due to the fact it came directly from Germany & it contained biohazardous material (BMW NA only has 2 storage contrainers nationwide or something like that the service advisor said). The problem was just like I said earlier...O-ring was crushed and/or manufacturered incorrectly thus it cause a loss of pressure so gearshifts weren't possible. While the car was at the dealership waiting for the fluid this whole week, a high ranking engineer from BMW NA came by to make sure nothing else was wrong w/the transmission & rest of the car. The dealership wanted to make sure this issue was handled as careful as possible thus the shop foreman was the only one who worked on the car. They didn't even have to take apart the transmission to replace the O-ring. All they had to do was take off one small undertray & replace the O-ring (on transmission oil line of some sort). I've driven it for roughly 90-miles & have tried to replicate the issues but thankfully I haven't been able to. I'd like to thank Classic BMW & Patrick Arnold (Service Advisor) for such a professional job since I was really getting impatient (when I picked up yesterday, I've owned it for 11-days & outta those 11-days, the car was in the shop for 8-days).

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #28
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Final Update: Picked up the M3 yesterday mid-day & everything runs fine now, phew! Dealership was suppose to get the M-DCT oil/fluid this past Tuesday since it was to be overnighted on Monday. However, it didn't arrive until Friday afternoon due to the fact it came directly from Germany & it contained biohazardous material (BMW NA only has 2 storage contrainers nationwide or something like that the service advisor said). The problem was just like I said earlier...O-ring was crushed and/or manufacturered incorrectly thus it cause a loss of pressure so gearshifts weren't possible. While the car was at the dealership waiting for the fluid this whole week, a high ranking engineer from BMW NA came by to make sure nothing else was wrong w/the transmission & rest of the car. The dealership wanted to make sure this issue was handled as careful as possible thus the shop foreman was the only one who worked on the car. They didn't even have to take apart the transmission to replace the O-ring. All they had to do was take off one small undertray & replace the O-ring (on transmission oil line of some sort). I've driven it for roughly 90-miles & have tried to replicate the issues but thankfully I haven't been able to. I'd like to thank Classic BMW & Patrick Arnold (Service Advisor) for such a professional job since I was really getting impatient (when I picked up yesterday, I've owned it for 11-days & outta those 11-days, the car was in the shop for 8-days).
do you know if they updated the software of the M-DCT? Mine is in the shop right now and they are waiting to hear back from BMW NA before they proceed...they seem to have no clue since it is the first M-DCT M3 they are servicing.

thx
      06-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #29
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Great news! I hope you can enjoy your baby now. Thanks for keeping us updated...I'm sure this will be useful for someone else down the line.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
do you know if they updated the software of the M-DCT? Mine is in the shop right now and they are waiting to hear back from BMW NA before they proceed...they seem to have no clue since it is the first M-DCT M3 they are servicing.

thx
I know they updated some type of control module but not sure if it was also the M-DCT control module (DME/ECU). There was an update for all M3's to address issues w/the oem alarm. I'm going back to the dealership later this week (to get something) so will ask the service advisor. What issues are you having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Great news! I hope you can enjoy your baby now. Thanks for keeping us updated...I'm sure this will be useful for someone else down the line.
Thx & you're welcome. I feel as if I'm obligated to keep the forum updated since this forum has given me so much knowledge.

Slightly off-topic: The Valentine1 DIY was very useful. Only advice I'd add to that DIY (on e90post) is to buy a 5/16" x 3/4" bolt since the M3 (w/o sunroof option at least) doesn't have any bolts in the console area up there. Also, quickest way to pop open the console is to unscrew sun visor screws (inner side on both). Whole thing took about 15-20 mins & that was taking my sweet time.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #31
Lycon
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT Sparkling Graphite

Hey Nucking Futs, thks for your post, I have exactly the same problem as you. My car is only 420km and have not gone for the 1st servicing as well and had transmission problems, so I brought it in before my 2000km service to get the upgraded software, however my SA called me after that when the TA test drove the car, the transmission problem still occurred and I could only use gears 2,4 and 6. the rest could not be used. My car is still in there and hope it is exactly because of the O- ring you mentioned so at least I dont have to wait too long as opposed to wait for a whole new transmission. will keep u guys posted
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #32
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycon View Post
Hey Nucking Futs, thks for your post, I have exactly the same problem as you. My car is only 420km and have not gone for the 1st servicing as well and had transmission problems, so I brought it in before my 2000km service to get the upgraded software, however my SA called me after that when the TA test drove the car, the transmission problem still occurred and I could only use gears 2,4 and 6. the rest could not be used. My car is still in there and hope it is exactly because of the O- ring you mentioned so at least I dont have to wait too long as opposed to wait for a whole new transmission. will keep u guys posted
You're welcome & I hope it's just the O-ring for your sake. FWIW, I haven't had any issues since then & just got the new DCT s/w update 2-weeks ago.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #33
Lycon
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT Sparkling Graphite

finally got my car back after 4 working days at the dealer!!! Thank god they didnt have to replace the transmission nor was there a a faulty O-ring, as they said there was no oil leak after i mentioned nucking futs problem to them. Turned out after they upgraded progman 31.1, there was still the transmission problem as in only my even gears could engage. and were still confused and clueless until they spoke to the M division engineers. There were 2 SIB bulletins there were already out, which were already mentioned in this forum, but the most important was that even if u think they instealled progman v31.1 for you, make sure they have performed an integration level E89x-08-09-520 or higher. some of u may have only had E89x-08-09-515 installed. which the TA may have upgraded for you instead as it solves previous known promblems with the gear shift as well. Now my car runs perfectly. so make sure your integration level is the latest one. Hence when I was reading the other treads about the DCT upgrade difference, some people were comparing their service sheet and had different SIB numbers but yet said their problems were resolved and were still confused if the difference meant the same upgrade.
Appreciate 0