BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #23
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Can you please link to the incident with the fatality with a car seat not in the center position. It is important to consider what year the vehicle involved was.

Today's vehicles have numerous safety features such as anti-intrusion beams and crush resistant roofs. I wouldn't be surprised if the A3 had more of these features as compared to your 740i. Unfortunately even the most up to date safety features can't prevent all tragedies.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #24
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Don't even let me get started how car seats expire like they are food or something
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #25
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

I feel like this is a pretty easy decison- sell the 740i privately to offset the negative equity you have on the A3 and go lease or buy privately a lightly used SUV. You’ve put a ton of money into your E90, consider that money lost and consider spending that again if you decide to sell it and then buy another in a year. Probably losing/ spending more than the $5k negative equity for the A3.

Congrats on the little one on the way. I have a 7 month old girl, it’s the most rewarding thing you will have done in your life. My wife had a 2016 Ford Escape, and it was a little small for hauling the stroller, groceries, all that crap, but doable. We have the seat behind the passenger seat, that’s where the Fire Station helped us install it. Passenger seat had to be moved pretty far forward and wifey wanted to upgrade, so we got a 2018 Ford Edge with the Titanium package. Very nice little SUV, great size for a baby and will be fine for when we have a second.

I know the thought of having a child can be overwhelming and you’re thinking about all the things that need to change immediately, but don’t make an overreaction until you’ve figured out exactly what you need. Your E90 can serve as a totally practical family car for as long as you need it to, that’s the beauty of having 4 doors on this chassis. The 740i is the unreliable odd man out and while cool, it’ll be easier to add another one of those to the stable down the road if you really feel the need to. The scenario I’ve outlined above ensures you can be the badass dad with the M3 for years to come
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #26
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Sounds like this is a cash flow thing?

So you're thinking:
Sell the m3 and 740. Use the funds from that for a down payment on an suv (which one are you thinking). Drive the A3 till the lease is it? But then what? What replaces the A3?

If the A3 won't fit a kid. Get rid of it. Both of you should be able to transport the little one. I'd sell the 740 and let the A3 lease run out. Replace with SUV at that point. Put the kid in the e90 and you do the transporting for a while.

I know the situation. Many of us have been there. My wife and I had a VW golf and e46 m3 when my daughter was born. I sold both cars. Within 2 years I was back in an m3... so I guess if you have to sell it, it's just a car and there are more out there
      12-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Do you already have the car seat and have tested to make sure it’s not going to work in the A3? If not maybe give it a try. Might open up more options at the end of its lease and allow you to keep the M3.

Money - only you know your finances so can’t offer advice one way or the other. Do what is best for your family. If its best in your new situation to cut expenses and save more, well you know the drill. If there is room in the budget to keep the M3...

SUV - they really are hard to beat with kids. Got my wife a Tahoe with our first child. She loved it - easy in and out with the kid, great storage, comfortable. Was so boring for me to drive though that I moved the car seat into my truck every weekend. After our second was born i quickly got tired of moving two seats one of which was a huge PITA. So out goes the Tahoe and in a X5M and life is good.

Congrats on the new family!
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #28
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Just wanted to add you can tell when all the dads started moving around this morning by the timing of the last few posts
Appreciate 3
shimmy232350.00
m3jala543.50
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #29
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
Just wanted to add you can tell when all the dads started moving around this morning by the timing of the last few posts
Hahahaha so much truth to this
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #30
donnyblaze1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Congrats man! I was in a similar situation a couple years back... although I had a Z4M at the time, pretty much a non-starter for anything resembling family duty. I ended up selling it and picking up a Kia SUV for hauling my 2 little ones, with the intention of picking up another ///M later. Fast forward 4.5 years, and I finally got back in to an E90 M3. In my case, I didn't really have a choice but to get rid of the Z4M, but in your situation perhaps there's another decent option.

What about switching cars with your wife for the remainder of the lease? Have a conversation with her about "ruining" your M3...let her know she's free to curb the rims and ride the clutch all she wants. At the end of the 11 months, you might have a "ruined" M3...but you'll still have an M3. Sell the 740, buy some new rims and respray the rock chips, and you're back in business. Then lease/buy whatever the wife would be most comfortable in.

Based on my experience, I'd hate to see you give up such a great M3 to solve essentially a temporary, 11 month long problem. I jumped from the ///M ship, and then proceeded to wander in the wilderness of soul-crushing "family friendly" Korean garbage for half a decade, and I wouldn't wish it on you if it's avoidable. Especially knowing as I do now that the E90 is more than capable as a family hauler, especially with just a single car seat. Mine regularly handles 2 car seats and a trunk full of kid-related stuff.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and again congratulations!
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #31
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Dump E38 and A3. Get Volvo XC90 or Tesla Model X. Amazing SUVs. Safe and killer tech.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #32
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Sounds like this is a cash flow thing?

So you're thinking:
Sell the m3 and 740. Use the funds from that for a down payment on an suv (which one are you thinking). Drive the A3 till the lease is it? But then what? What replaces the A3?

If the A3 won't fit a kid. Get rid of it. Both of you should be able to transport the little one. I'd sell the 740 and let the A3 lease run out. Replace with SUV at that point. Put the kid in the e90 and you do the transporting for a while.

I know the situation. Many of us have been there. My wife and I had a VW golf and e46 m3 when my daughter was born. I sold both cars. Within 2 years I was back in an m3... so I guess if you have to sell it, it's just a car and there are more out there
Fortunately, cash flow isn't an issue, extremely blessed for that. However, I also look at the E90 and see what I could get out of it. Money spent on the car is never returned but I also purchased it right. I could sell it and be ahead of what I put into it wish the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
Do you already have the car seat and have tested to make sure it’s not going to work in the A3? If not maybe give it a try. Might open up more options at the end of its lease and allow you to keep the M3.

Money - only you know your finances so can’t offer advice one way or the other. Do what is best for your family. If its best in your new situation to cut expenses and save more, well you know the drill. If there is room in the budget to keep the M3...

SUV - they really are hard to beat with kids. Got my wife a Tahoe with our first child. She loved it - easy in and out with the kid, great storage, comfortable. Was so boring for me to drive though that I moved the car seat into my truck every weekend. After our second was born i quickly got tired of moving two seats one of which was a huge PITA. So out goes the Tahoe and in a X5M and life is good.

Congrats on the new family!
Thank you!!! I think its me justifying to myself its worth keeping the E90 which all of you have pushed me that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyblaze1 View Post
Congrats man! I was in a similar situation a couple years back... although I had a Z4M at the time, pretty much a non-starter for anything resembling family duty. I ended up selling it and picking up a Kia SUV for hauling my 2 little ones, with the intention of picking up another ///M later. Fast forward 4.5 years, and I finally got back in to an E90 M3. In my case, I didn't really have a choice but to get rid of the Z4M, but in your situation perhaps there's another decent option.

What about switching cars with your wife for the remainder of the lease? Have a conversation with her about "ruining" your M3...let her know she's free to curb the rims and ride the clutch all she wants. At the end of the 11 months, you might have a "ruined" M3...but you'll still have an M3. Sell the 740, buy some new rims and respray the rock chips, and you're back in business. Then lease/buy whatever the wife would be most comfortable in.

Based on my experience, I'd hate to see you give up such a great M3 to solve essentially a temporary, 11 month long problem. I jumped from the ///M ship, and then proceeded to wander in the wilderness of soul-crushing "family friendly" Korean garbage for half a decade, and I wouldn't wish it on you if it's avoidable. Especially knowing as I do now that the E90 is more than capable as a family hauler, especially with just a single car seat. Mine regularly handles 2 car seats and a trunk full of kid-related stuff.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and again congratulations!
Im thinking selling the 740 is probably the right thing to do anyway. Part of the reason Im thinking selling the E90 is because its $37kish sitting there not being used, properly. Other thought is sell both consolidate, use cash to pay negative equity, get wife new car and maybe an E63 sedan/wagon for me. Less car payments, cash flow doesn't change, wife gets new car everyting solved.

But, Im leaning toward keeping E90 and riding out the A3 as long as possible. Dumping the 740 seems logical
      12-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I don't think there is any logical situation where the 740 stays. I'd chalk that up as a definite and go from there.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90m

If cash flow really is not an issue.

•Keep your m3 as your daily
•Sell the 740 and buy a stroller and some baby stuff from the proceeds
•Buy a nice midsize SUV for your wife and child, which is your main priority.
•Turn in the A3 after the lease. No reason to over think this one.

I wouldn’t worry about this small money stuff. Just focus getting your wife and baby a safe, reliable and comfortable new vehicle. You will find out soon that extra space will be a huge plus carrying the family and all the baby related gear.

I know this a car forum, but the m3 is just a car and easily replaced.

Focus on the new family and their needs, not yours.

Congrats on the new baby!

Last edited by GT3fan; 12-15-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #35
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

I agree, sell the 740 for sure. It's time to let it go. My wife and I will be in your position probably sometime in 2019. 🤞🏼

Our current stable is as follows:
- Msport F31 wagon: my current daily and I love it. Decent gas mileage at 28-32mpg, decent pick up, plenty of cargo space, and option to use roof rails for a cargo box if a road trip with tons of gear is necessary. If you went with the diesel version, more torque and you'll get 40mpg+. You can snag a CPO for high 20's-low 30s, which makes them quite affordable. Maybe test drive one?
- N54 swapped E91 wagon 6MT: (not the E91 M3 conversion I built in my sig, btw that has a S65) this is the "fun" project car for now that is just as versatile as the daily. It's "cheap" and gives the option to go, though I know it's not an M but gives me the option to tinker.
- Msport F15 X5: wife's car. Safe, easy to drive and plenty of space for in laws who prefer a more cush ride. Might be too big for you guys but it gives you room to grow into. Quite nimble for an SUV. Eventually may consider a Macan GTS when lease is up. Wife really misses her Cayenne GTS, but we're saving for an investment property so have to be more budget conscious. I basically decided to always give the wife the newest, safest, and usually most expensive car.. for now.
- Prius V: "beater" car though it was 32k when purchased new. I know.. Prius, but it really serves its purpose and is a great utility car. Helps with multi car discount for insurance.

We consolidated and bought the current stable in anticipation for future baby hauling, in law/parent chauffeuring, and Costco anytime ready with 3/4 vehicles. Granted there is no M, but cars will always come and go, and I'll just wait for the right time to upgrade.

I say for you guys, sell the 740 now, test drive the Macan, a F31 wagon, X3/5 and Q3/5 and see how they compare to what you guys need/like/want. Then drive the A3 till lease ends while shopping best pricing for what you liked out of the test drive.
      12-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #36
EnVe46
Major
Rep

Truly appreciate everyone chiming in and giving their advice. Im going to sit down with the wife and come up with a plan. Each person has helped manage my decisions and now I have a path I can think through, or a couple rather. It'll ultimately mean which is going to make the most sense to get through the next 12 months.
m3jala543.50
      12-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #37
MikeyDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - MT

I'm not sure of your age or financial well-being but my overarching advice would be to make the best financial decision for your family.

In my previous post I forgot that I not only had to sell my Jeep but I also sold my S2000. It was a dark time in my car Enthusiast life but I made it through and don't regret putting my family first for the last few years.

You can also use this opportunity to add a nice SUV to your stable, I would personally recommend a Lexus GX or Lx

Best of luck with your decision and congratulations on the baby
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #38
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Uhh. Listen here my new bro-Dad. 11 months to go on the lease, yes?

How long till the baby comes? Then, how long till you guys decide you want to go out into the world with said child? For my wife and I, it was a solid month of sitting home and getting used to everybody. Granted it was cold out, but still, it's not like you'll be running around all over with the baby. Food shopping? The park? The mall maybe? A3 would be fine for that.

Now, once it's time to actually go far, it'll just be a few months left on the lease. At that point, sell the 7 to even out the negative equity, or just get a new lease. I'm sure they will give you a deal at that point.
shimmy232350.00
GRUESOM31092.00
EnVe461037.50
tooloud10766.50
      12-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #39
EnVe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Uhh. Listen here my new bro-Dad. 11 months to go on the lease, yes?

How long till the baby comes? Then, how long till you guys decide you want to go out into the world with said child? For my wife and I, it was a solid month of sitting home and getting used to everybody. Granted it was cold out, but still, it's not like you'll be running around all over with the baby. Food shopping? The park? The mall maybe? A3 would be fine for that.

Now, once it's time to actually go far, it'll just be a few months left on the lease. At that point, sell the 7 to even out the negative equity, or just get a new lease. I'm sure they will give you a deal at that point.
That's our exact discussion last night. My wife does really like the idea of getting an E63 wagon to replace the E90 though. Plus I spoke to a buddy of mine who runs a few Audi dealers and rumor has it the new Q3 is coming July/August. Audi also will cover your last two payments if getting a new lease so that's perfect timing.

So looks like if we do anything it'll be getting rid of the E90 and 740 to get an E63 wagon.
      12-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #40
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Pm me if you also want to save about 2-3k for the formula in the first 12 months, can show you how not gonna post on public forum
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #41
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

There’s a lot of shit flying at you getting ready to be a new parent. Can cause short term thinking. Time for car decisions passes in a flash. But the time when car seat arrangement is super critical passes quick too.

We had an E90335xi when kidbot one came home. Ordered a slightly larger sedan shortly after and that’s what babies for us for 5 years until we got her E63.

Kept my E90M. Now Have two kids. They both came home in it and hopefully they’ll both learn to drive stick on it too.

Sensible Risk assessment is hard and it’s especially hard as a parent AND ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WHEN YOURE CARRYING A BABY so accommodating her is obviously top priority.

But The likelihood that you’ll be in an incident in which the kind of car you’re in will make the difference between injury and not for the kiddo is low, much more likely to get hurt in a Suburban with a mis-installed or wrong seat for the kid’s size, wrong belt arrangement, yada than just energy differences between cars. So focus on that
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #42
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Talking over with the wife, trying to figure out our car situation. For those who don't know, I've got my adored E90, 740i and wife has an A3. Her car has about 11 months remaining and also a good chunk of negative equity. Her prior car needed about 4-5k in work so rather pay cash on that, we rolled into lease. No big deal.

Well, we are expecting our first child in May. My car situation is perfectly fine, both the 740 and E90 will do its job. Matter of fact, I planned this situation so Id be able to keep the E90. Here is our dilemma, the wife's car is too small for rear facing car seat. She can drive the 740 without a problem and its safe but lets be honest, its a 17/18 yr old car, anything can happen. If its me that breaks down or something, I can manage. She works about 40 minutes from home, while I work 5 miles from home. She wont drive the E90, she knows how I feel towards it and she'd be constantly worried about something happening and it being her fault hahaha. Plus she likes to kiss curbs with the wheels

Most of you, myself included, say do whatever you can, keep the E90 and thats the ultimate goal. But, I also have a good amount of equity in the car and can sell it, put cash in my pocket and get her a larger vehicle. Id drive her A3, , until lease end and hopefully get another E90 or something else. If selling the E90 does happen, Id sell the 740 too and consolidate. I REALLY dont want to sell the E90 and didn't plan to until my conversation last night with the wife. I definitely wouldn't have just spent a couple grand getting the body 100%. But, I also have to think about what makes the most financial sense. With the equity in the car, plus the drop of the 740 off insurance with the M3 and getting her a new SUV, it'll put 8-10k in cash in my pocket and save me about $250/mth. When planning for a kid, this HAS to be considered.

So lets put aside our love for cars and my love for mine. Does selling the E90 make the most sense?
I was in a very similar situation about 2 months ago. We had our first child together August 30th 2018. My wife had a 2012 Acura TSX, I have my 2011 e90M and my 2008 Audi a4 DD. We sold her TSX and leased a 2019 SH-AWD MDX because i have a 12 yr old stepson as well. The Acura is great on trips and in sport dynamic mode with the paddle shifters and 9 speed automatic, it's really quite fun to drive. It also has a really solid, stable, feel to it. It's our family wagon and I love it.

In your case, I would get rid of both the elderly 740i and newer A3 and lease a nice, dependable SUV for your wife and family and keep your e90M. At the end of the lease term, you may no longer need an suv so swich it up or you can keep the one you leased. My current plan is to keep the MDX after the lease term is over. Good luck with with whatever you decide and congratulations!

My infant son's first car ride ever (from maternity ward to the house) was in my 6mt e90M. That was something special. He immediately went to sleep, its the sound of that amazing s65 V8! Even babies love it..
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      12-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #43
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

For the record x5s don’t have a ton of space... we are a tall family as well I can’t image an x3, Macan etc.. sized suv with car seats.

My two cents for what it’s worth... keep the e90, when you all need to drive some wear it will fit you all.

You will be surprised how little you drive with a small infant, it is such a pain. By the time your wife is off mat leave there will be not much time left on your a3 then get an suv then. And sell the 740
EnVe461037.50
      12-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #44
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

I have a two year old and an infant.

I’ll tell you my advice, don’t overplan. You can try to anticipate how you will use your cars, why you think you need a bigger or smaller car. The reality is you probably are going to get it wrong.

I would tell you to wait 6 months at least after you have your first child and then you will be able to tell what you do or don’t need.

For now, remain calm, change nothing (unless you swap out the 740 which I would personally and replace with an suv because I like suv more than large sedans) and see how things go.

This will allow you to get whatever you really need based on experience, instead of guessing now and possibly making the wrong decision.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50