BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-18-2021, 12:17 AM   #67
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Second update for all you DIYer's. When you go to install the hubs make sure you have a very thin wall socket. I'm using a sonic 18 mm and I can't tighten down the lower two bolts. Just a heads up.
thanks for the update, I got an email from Strom mentioning your find with the threaded caliper mount. thank you for the leg work on that part.

which two lower bolts are you talking about? To mount the hub bearing?

thanks
No problem!

Correct. The lower two bolts to mount the upright to the bearing. I may just have some thick tools but just wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can plan accordingly.
Just installed one side. I'll install the driver side another day. Install was a easy and straight forward. I didn't have issues with the 2 lower bolts. Mainly because I had upgraded to ARP bolts and it uses a 12 point m14 socket. I did have issue with my brake cooling duct. Clearly it was made for OEM upright. So modifications was necessary.
Which bolts did you upgrade? Can you share a link to arp website? Ty!
I replace the hub bearing every year since I mainly track my car and it's a maintenance item for me. So the oem bolts are one time use. With ARP they can be reused since the strength is much higher and better fastener. so worth it.

here is a link. direct replacement and exact size, but 12 point head to make it easy to install.
https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-de...?RecordID=3050
That's a great idea. I'm a little mad I didn't think of that before install the hubs. But I got a pretty sweet new socket out of it so you win some and lose some.
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      02-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #68
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Here are some more pictures for comparison
Attached Images

///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 3
Lienrocs703.00
Move Over1256.50
ninekrpm539.00
      02-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #69
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Second update for all you DIYer's. When you go to install the hubs make sure you have a very thin wall socket. I'm using a sonic 18 mm and I can't tighten down the lower two bolts. Just a heads up.
thanks for the update, I got an email from Strom mentioning your find with the threaded caliper mount. thank you for the leg work on that part.

thanks
No problem!

Correct. The lower two bolts to mount the upright to the bearing. I may just have some thick tools but just wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can plan accordingly.
Just installed one side. I'll install the driver side another day. Install was a easy and straight forward. I didn't have issues with the 2 lower bolts. Mainly because I had upgraded to ARP bolts and it uses a 12 point m14 socket. I did have issue with my brake cooling duct. Clearly it was made for OEM upright. So modifications was necessary.
I replace the hub bearing every year since I mainly track my car and it's a maintenance item for me. So the oem bolts are one time use. With ARP they can be reused since the strength is much higher and better fastener. so worth it.

here is a link. direct replacement and exact size, but 12 point head to make it easy to install.
Great idea. Sucks I just spent 68 bucks on new OEM bolts.

Do you use any threadlock on the ARP bolts?
      02-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #70
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I am using 12.9 socket hex bolts for my F80-Core4 hubs which I had difficulties lining up the 6 point hex key.

These ARP 12 points are great for that location. I wish I knew about this option. I never knew such a thing even exist.

Thanks for sharing
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      02-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #71
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks
No problem!

Great idea. Sucks I just spent 68 bucks on new OEM bolts.

Do you use any threadlock on the ARP bolts?
Yeah I apply a little blue thread lock and oem torque. Never hurts.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      03-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #72
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Another FYI (though it's a pretty niche problem), if you're trying to use these knuckles with SPL tie rod ends and 18 inch E88's you can't without swapping out some hardware on the TRE's. There's contact.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #73
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Another FYI (though it's a pretty niche problem), if you're trying to use these knuckles with SPL tie rod ends and 18 inch E88's you can't without swapping out some hardware on the TRE's. There's contact.
Another member mentioned issues with fitment up front with one of his sets of wheels as well.

I would just grind the head of the bolt down on that corner by a mm to clearance it and you should be fine. If not I'll take the uprights off your hands
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #74
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
Another member mentioned issues with fitment up front with one of his sets of wheels as well.

I would just grind the head of the bolt down on that corner by a mm to clearance it and you should be fine. If not I'll take the uprights off your hands
I just snagged some different hardware. Problem solved.

I've got another set sitting on the shelf I'll sell you.
Appreciate 2
tsk941522.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      03-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #75
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Highly not recommend to use the SPL bump steer kit. That's another 30mm of offset. You will reintroduce bump steer on the positive side.

If you really want to use it, you will have to machine down the offset spacer
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #76
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Highly not recommend to use the SPL bump steer kit. That's another 30mm of offset. You will reintroduce bump steer on the positive side.

If you really want to use it, you will have to machine down the offset spacer
The 30mm is if you use all the bump steer spacers. If you don't use any of the spacers then everything is within 1mm of stock. I'm just using the SPL stuff, effectively at this point, to get rid of all the rubber bushings.
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      03-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #77
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Some of the above is incorrect.

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong,

The Strom upright has 30mm of correction

The SPL arms can have a total of 1/2" of washers for correction, so approx 13mm.

The SPL arms can be used without the washers, and then there is no correction, so that would be the proper setup with the Strom upright, assuming 30mm correction is what you need.

Would be great if we knew exactly how much correction is needed for a given amount of lowering. Shouldn't be too difficult by removing the coil spring, and measuring the change as the upright is moved throughout its range. Or, an engineer with the measurements can model it for us!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #78
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post

The SPL arms can have a total of 1/2" of washers for correction, so approx 13mm.

The SPL arms can be used without the washers, and then there is no correction, so that would be the proper setup with the Strom upright, assuming 30mm correction is what you need.

Would be great if we knew exactly how much correction is needed for a given amount of lowering. Shouldn't be too difficult by removing the coil spring, and measuring the change as the upright is moved throughout its range. Or, an engineer with the measurements can model it for us!
I'm not debating Strom corrections of 30mm vs spl correction of 13mm, or whatever the numbers may be. My point is using the spl arms with zero spacers is effectively like using oe parts as far as dimensions go (to the best of my knowledge that is).
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      03-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #79
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Second update: if you have E88's, Strom knuckles and SPL TRE's the TRE will contact the barrel of the wheel so you either need to get different wheels, Oem TRE's or file down the edge of your shiny SPL part.

(My wheels are 18 by 10.5 et 18 for reference. I think a narrower E88 may not have an issue but don't quote me on that.)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #80
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

SPL with 2 washers = 6~7mm, not 13mm
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #81
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
Quote:

Depends on how old your SPL stuff is, mine has two small and one large washer, which I will have to measure when I put the car back on the rack.
      03-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #82
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
Quote:

Depends on how old your SPL stuff is, mine has two small and one large washer, which I will have to measure when I put the car back on the rack.
The spl TRE's come with one 1/4 inch spacers and two 1/8 inch spacers. So 12.7mm of potential adjustment.

I do know the older version was less bulky but I think they sent with the same spacers as the newer, beefier version so I think regardless of newer or older you will have the same relative height of the spacer stack.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      04-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #83
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Finally got around to testing the uprights and getting an impression. I went out to Laguna Seca where previously my best lap was 1:39.8. I started the with the same shock damping as prior and I struggle with rear grip. The car felt it had less rear grip. Maybe the front was just hooking up more. Right in the morning I ran 1:39.2.
Through out the track day I played with shock damping to tune out some of the oversteer. I couldn't add more rear camber which was suggested by Strom. But I got the car to feel a little more hooked in the rear but didn't result in a faster lap. I got consistent 1:39~ but 1:39.2 was my best. I ran all stock component and removed my SPL bump steer kit.
My overall goal with the upright wasn't lap time but better tire wear. This was achieved well. The overall tire wear was improved. Laguna is hard on tires, destroys the outer shoulder. I didn't have any damage to the shoulder other than normal wear. At this rate I think I'll be able to save one tires set per year. If so It will pay off the upright cost in 4 years. Overall worth it, in my opinion.
Appreciate 5
dmitriyo246.00
DRLane3988.50
Exclusivs542.00
slcook541863.00
      04-11-2021, 09:19 PM   #84
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Finally got around to testing the uprights and getting an impression. I went out to Laguna Seca where previously my best lap was 1:39.8. I started the with the same shock damping as prior and I struggle with rear grip. The car felt it had less rear grip. Maybe the front was just hooking up more. Right in the morning I ran 1:39.2.
Through out the track day I played with shock damping to tune out some of the oversteer. I couldn't add more rear camber which was suggested by Strom. But I got the car to feel a little more hooked in the rear but didn't result in a faster lap. I got consistent 1:39~ but 1:39.2 was my best. I ran all stock component and removed my SPL bump steer kit.
My overall goal with the upright wasn't lap time but better tire wear. This was achieved well. The overall tire wear was improved. Laguna is hard on tires, destroys the outer shoulder. I didn't have any damage to the shoulder other than normal wear. At this rate I think I'll be able to save one tires set per year. If so It will pay off the upright cost in 4 years. Overall worth it, in my opinion.
If you're seeking the SPL bump steer, I'm interested.
      04-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #85
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
If you're seeking the SPL bump steer, I'm interested.
Not selling thanks for the inquiry

Mighty use it later.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #86
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Anyone here that's replaced their uprights with these storm units have the stock ones they'd be willing to sell? I need a set of stock M3 front spindles/uprights for a different project. If anyone has a pair they sell me for a decent price let me know!

Edit: Got some, thanks!

Last edited by tsk94; 05-11-2021 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #87
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Anyone here that's replaced their uprights with these storm units have the stock ones they'd be willing to sell? I need a set of stock M3 front spindles/uprights for a different project. If anyone has a pair they sell me for a decent price let me know!
Pmed
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #88
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Handling

To all Strom Upright track cars. Have you struggle to gain grip, what setting are you using and what is the handling dynamics.

Alignment?
Front Camber: -3.2 (maxed out) need to maybe change out camber plate.
Front Toe: 0
Front Spring Rate: 600lbs

My car Understeers a lot, totally plows the corner.
any one have a different result?

please share.
Appreciate 0