BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM
View Poll Results: do you give money to homeless people
YES 29 29.59%
NO WAY 69 70.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

05-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #45
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
what are they meant to buy? a house? that's teh point, they don't save money, they buy alcohol
      05-09-2007, 02:51 AM   #46
OhhaiAlex
Oh hai :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

It depends for me. I dont want them spending my money on beer and cigs. Thats just a waste
      05-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #47
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo View Post
I am so sorry you were injured in AFghanistan - your country appreciates your sacrifice for what it is worth and I salute you!
Amen, X 2 !!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #48
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
One of the worst experiences was the time I saw a homeless woman who appeared to be at least 6 months pregnant. She caught me as I was leaving a fast food restaurant. I was still in med school at the time and had VERY limited money. She told me that she was pregnant and needed some money for food. I didn't have any money left on me, but I gave her the food that I had just purchased. She took the food, looked back at me, and threw it on the ground saying, "what the f*** am I supposed to do with that?!?!"

I was seriously hoping that was an isolated incident, but I have had several other similar episodes where people react with anger if you actually give them food.
My wife and I were walking in midtown Baltimore, and a woman (and her ~5 year old son) asked us directions to a specific women's shelter, and for some money. Little boy said, on queue, "Mommy I'm hungry". My wife handed the woman her leftover dinner, feeling good about herself; I was mildly annoyed she gave away my breakfast (mmmmm....Indian). A week later, same part of town, same question for directions to the women's shelter, same kid, "Mommy I'm hungry" - I kept walking and my wife stopped to yell at her. So many scammers out there.

I don't think charities are doing a good job helping the homeless; seems to be all handouts (soup kitchens, shelters). It's almost unheard of to find programs that get the homeless back on track, off the street.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #49
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
I ask myself, who am I to judge or even attempt to think what a person is going to spend the money I give them on. After it leaves my hand, it’s theirs to do what ever.

So I give, not thinking what they are going to do with the money, but because I try to help my fellow human beings when asked.

If we were all judged by what we spend our money on, whether it be given to us or we earn it. None of us would have very much at all.

Even when you give to some charities, only a portion and sometimes as little as 10% goes to the actual people in need.

The main thing is to show empathy and sympathy for your fellow human beings on this earth.

Remember, you get what you give!
      05-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #50
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I hate Baltimore.

Was there for a conference 2 years ago, stayed in downtown Baltimore. FULL of scammers, my colleagues and I were encountering several of "oh, I need some money to take the bus, will ya spare some change please?" and "I'm from out of town, and I lost my wallet, can I have some money so I can buy a bus/train ticket to go home?"

And to top it off, some f*cker at the hotel stole my credit card number and regularly made charges to it. The credit card people asked me how I was certain that those charges are fradulant? they were all made AFTER I got back to Canada

Baltimore sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
My wife and I were walking in midtown Baltimore, and a woman (and her ~5 year old son) asked us directions to a specific women's shelter, and for some money. Little boy said, on queue, "Mommy I'm hungry". My wife handed the woman her leftover dinner, feeling good about herself; I was mildly annoyed she gave away my breakfast (mmmmm....Indian). A week later, same part of town, same question for directions to the women's shelter, same kid, "Mommy I'm hungry" - I kept walking and my wife stopped to yell at her. So many scammers out there.

I don't think charities are doing a good job helping the homeless; seems to be all handouts (soup kitchens, shelters). It's almost unheard of to find programs that get the homeless back on track, off the street.