BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Help With Interview!

Hey guys and gals,

A fellow member needs some help. I have a phone interview with a relatively big ad agency and and then another face-to-face interview. I have been the in- house Marketing Director for a few small companies. I never had to interview for any position but this opportunity is too good to pass up. Does anybody have a similar experience or advice of any sort? I would appreciate it. I am just looking for what I may encounter.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

It's an interview... expect to answer these questions on the phone screen:
Why do you want to work here?
Why are you looking to make a move?
Explain your recent and past experience in detail, relevant to the prospective job
Current/desired salary

I'm in a different industry, so expect some industry-specific questions.
      08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Learn from this guy

08-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU
It's an interview... expect to answer these questions on the phone screen:
Why do you want to work here?
Why are you looking to make a move?
Explain your recent and past experience in detail, relevant to the prospective job
Current/desired salary

I'm in a different industry, so expect some industry-specific questions.
Thanks. They are curious as to why I have a B.S. and am doing marketing.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
Learn from this guy

Ha wow.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

okay, not sure how to take the video, not sure if it real or not. However, I have interviewed lots of people during my career and there are some like that kid but never that bad. Some have no clue and you have to drag everything out of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335itwinsedan View Post
Thanks. They are curious as to why I have a B.S. and am doing marketing.
To be more dynamic or versatile.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I am now at least 10% dumber because I watched that video.

However the questions that the interviewer asks are common and typical and you should be prepared to answer them.

Your attitude, body, posture, all come through even on the phone, so in addition to knowing the basics about the company, having solid answers for tough questions (like the one about your B.S. degree), and having solid answers for basic tenets of the skillset required for the job you are interviewing for, it's equally as important to be awake (don't sound like you just woke up), alert, polite, courteous, try and build a rapport with the interviewer, be natural, don't be sitting in your bathroom, have the TV on, or be lying down in bed or on the couch, etc.

You are selling yourself to the company; you want to sound enthusiastic about you and your skillset, and why you're the man when it comes to their needs. That's what gets you from a phone interview to a face-to-face interview.

All this stuff comes through just much as your actual answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Make sure you're in a quiet room with less or no destruction. Relax your self during the interveiw. I had few interviews in the past few months on the phone and one also recently.
Most likely they will ask your career history and you will let them know in chornological order. No need to go into details but make sure you talk about the highlights in the position you had/have. Be enthusiastic, don't be a monotone or talking silent.

Also one of the best things you can do for a phone interview is to have a headset or earpeice. So that you wont get tired holding the phone and you can make notes.

The good thing sometimes in a phone interview is you can have you notes or cheat sheet infront of you all the time.

Some good/simple questions to ask...

1) Any taining involve
2) Travel (if not mentioned) if so what %?
3) Where do you see the copany in the next 3-5 yrs. (One of the best questions IMO)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it. My interview is Friday morning so I will spend some time this evening putting a sheet together. I like the idea of asking where the company will be in few years and the B.S. allowing me to be more dynamic and versatile. I am usually quite confident so I think I can convey that. Thank you again everyone I will utilize all of the information, I will let you guys know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Viick
Chief Executive
India
Rep
Drives: --> $/ : \$

lol idk if this will help but sell your self as your already in the position your trying to get into...obvious?, yes....but dont be the dude in the vid haha stopped watching it after the response for the ap question...its the state of mind, also then more ideas will come to mind on what to say/Impress(Selling your self) so you know they/interviewer will bring you on aboard for your work ethics/communication rather then experience..jus saying lol..Good Luck..its all in your hands..your the change the agency is looking for

Last edited by Viick; 08-22-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

I like the idea of picturing myself as in the position already. Thank you Viick!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Viick
Chief Executive
India
Rep
Drives: --> $/ : \$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335itwinsedan View Post
I like the idea of picturing myself as in the position already. Thank you Viick!
Glad I can help
do let us know how everything went

Last edited by Viick; 08-22-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Be prepared for this question: tell me/us about yourself. Most people struggle with that. Many don't know what to say so they ramble on and on. If you do get a face-to-face interview you should ask the following questions (found them in an article but couldn't find the link):

1. What attributes do the high performers at the company have in common?
2. What do you expect me to accomplish in the first 2-3 months (or 60-90 days)?
3. What would you say are the factors that drive success for the company?
4. What are the challenges as well as opportunities do you see the company facing in the future?

There are 2 or 3 more but I can't remember them all. But the point is you need to have a 2 way convo. You're finding out about the company too. Make sure it's the right fit.

Edit: the question "what are some of your strengths and weaknesses?" is a pretty difficult one to answer as well. The bottom line is to not literally name your weaknesses. Always say things that are not really weaknesses but kind of make them into weaknesses. For example, a "weakness" could be "I care about my work so sometimes I could end up overworking myself. I suppose that can be a weakness."

Last edited by BMW F22; 08-23-2013 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help! The interview went OK. Since the company I work for is relatively new, the interview could have been better due to the fact that we do not have any real statistics so far. I communicated this, but the position I was interviewing for required more direct results from our marketing efforts which we do not yet have. They mostly asked me about my background. They said they would get back to me after two weeks, so we will see. I did learn what to say though that communicates what I have accomplished thus far with my current company. I probably talked too long about my background, I will keep the responses short and concise so I dont ramble for the future.

I asked about where the company would like to be in the next 3 - 5 years and also how they manage situations where the customer is not satisfied (nobody is ever 100% happy with marketing campaigns haha).

I will let you guys know how it turns out. I will definitely use your help for additional interviews.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep

I will use these great suggestions. Thank you BMW E90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Be prepared for this question: tell me/us about yourself. Most people struggle with that. Many don't know what to say so they ramble on and on. If you do get a face-to-face interview you should ask the following questions (found them in an article but couldn't find the link):

1. What attributes do the high performers at the company have in common?
2. What do you expect me to accomplish in the first 2-3 months (or 60-90 days)?
3. What would you say are the factors that drive success for the company?
4. What are the challenges as well as opportunities do you see the company facing in the future?

There are 2 or 3 more but I can't remember them all. But the point is you need to have a 2 way convo. You're finding out about the company too. Make sure it's the right fit.

Edit: the question "what are some of your strengths and weaknesses?" is a pretty difficult one to answer as well. The bottom line is to not literally name your weaknesses. Always say things that are not really weaknesses but kind of make them into weaknesses. For example, a "weakness" could be "I care about my work so sometimes I could end up overworking myself. I suppose that can be a weakness."
Appreciate 0