BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

First successful M3 M-drive (including MDM) retrofit

My car was a very stripped down 2008 e92 that shipped without M-drive. No sport plus throttle, no servotronic steering, no M-dynamic mode (MDM).

Thanks to the technical assistance of Andy (BMWM.D.) and the coding brilliance of Mike Benvo, I am pleased to present a fully functional M-drive retrofit.

It has been a long day (and I have a track day in the morning), but more details to come. If people are interested in the retrofit, drop a message as we are going to try see about making this available to more people

And also thanks to Mike for his additional coding of:
- Euro MDM
- door chimes removed
- key gong removed
- welcome lights changed
- amber corner delete
- double high beam flash
- double emergency flash
- economy drive indicator
- auto-door unlock
- remote mirror folding
- auto-door unlock
(and anything else I may have forgotten)

Photos for proof below (sorry for the size; I'll try to resize and reupload later):
Name:  261.jpg
Views: 22155
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  262.jpg
Views: 21695
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  265.jpg
Views: 24901
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  266.jpg
Views: 22333
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  267.jpg
Views: 22627
Size:  147.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How much does this cost?

Retail on the necessary hardware is ~$700, but is available from vendors from less. I have also talked to a BMW dealer about possible group buy pricing. Otherwise, there is always the used market.

You also need to pay for coding and calibration.

2. Does the servotronic steering work?

Yes, everything works. The only differences are software (besides what is outline below; there is no steering rack difference).

3. Do you need an "M" button?

No. By default, the top button (the diamond) is the "M" button and the remaining button is still programmable (same as a standard M-drive car). One could replace it with an actual M button but it is a purely cosmetic change; the current button functions identically.

4. What hardware do I need?

That depends on if you have a rain sensor or not.

If you HAVE a rain sensor, you need: 61 31 9 123 060

If you DO NOT HAVE a rain sensor, you need 61 31 9 123 061

5. Do I need I-drive?

Undetermined. You may need it just to change settings, but this still needs to be determined.

I would say the first step is for someone to check the above part numbers against a 2011.5+ model and ensure they are the same (or if not identical, that is not just an issue of superseded part numbers).

6. Do I need anything besides the hardware?

Yes, the car requires coding and calibration. You will need to contact Mike Benvo on the forums for details on how to get this done.

Last edited by rhouck; 04-16-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
HOVM347.00
      04-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep

HOW-TO (HARDWARE INSTALL)

Please be warned that upon completion of these steps, you WILL have an error code! The system will warn you of a DSC error and calibration (as well as coding) by Mike Benvo will need to be done to remove the error and enable M-drive. The car is still fully driveable at this point, HOWEVER DSC will remain OFF until calibrated/coded! So no worries about doing this in advance, but don't drive like an idiot until Mike works his magic

99% of this process is simply following doba's performance steering wheel install DIY, which can be found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242963 If you are interested in changing wheels, this is the perfect time to do it.

Otherwise, we are not worried about all the electrical rewiring steps which makes this even easier.

1. Disconnect your battery.
2. Jump to Step 9 in doba's guide ("remove your airbag")
3. Continue following his steps THROUGH Step 14.

--
Now, the careful reader will notice doba's warning in bold: "Make sure not to pull the whole assembly out of the column. Very Important. Unclip all the clips and remove just the Coil spring cartridge and nothing else".

We are going to ignore that warning
--

4. We have one more clip to undo (note: some things look like clip but do not need to be removed/cannot; if you cannot remove it easily, leave it and make sure it is required). On the bottom of the steering wheel switch column, near where you already undid the small black connector on the right side, you will see another black connector with a grey switch over it.

Name:  255.jpg
Views: 21942
Size:  128.8 KB

Rotate this grey switch off and you will be able to remove this connector (this is the easiest of them all to remove).

5. Remove the steering wheel switch column.
6. Replace it with your new M-drive enabled unit. Note that it has these two arrows on it that I believe are supposed to line up. I haven't tried NOT lining them up, but I assume it will screw with wheel calibration later. Maybe not, but do it to be safe.

Name:  256.jpg
Views: 20591
Size:  195.4 KB

7. Follow all the steps in reverse, making sure not to miss any connectors along the way! I found that putting the airbag back in was easiest by clipping in one side by pushing, and then using the screwdriver on the other side.

That's it!! Now you just need to call up Mike Benvo (hopefully you have already reserved his services prior to starting all of this... ), he will code/calibrate your car and you are ready to rock!

Last edited by rhouck; 04-18-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

How much did that all cost you?
      04-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Awesome. Congrats on the successful retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Wow! Very interested in knowing more. But you have iDrive - is that required for a retrofit?

EDIT: I am wondering about a retrofit of the "hard coded" MDive and M-button, which exists on US M3 produced after Sept. 2010 (so model year 2011.5) and onwards which were optioned without iDrive/ Nav.

Last edited by JulieDriving; 04-15-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Oh wow - you sir are one pioneering SOB. Finally, proof-positive that it can be done. Too cool! BTW, you are now the only guy in the US (in all of North America?), with a pre 2011.5 car with iDrive, MDrive, but no EDC.

Now - as Julie said - the next hurdle (for the community, not for you ) is retrofitting the non-iDrive-dependent MDrive functionality found in many non-iDrive-equipped M3s (including all the ones sold in the US) from MY2011.5 onward. I suspect there are a lot more of us out there with no iDrive and no MDrive than there are with iDrive but no MDrive. The big question remains, were there hardware changes made to support this feature or not? Unlike in your situation, we have to rely on holding down the M Button to program and it is not clear whether our current steering wheel button can support that (though it seems such a minor detail on the surface). Even if we could not get the programming, though, I would be happy with all of my settings hardcoded (which would also inlude the two additional DCT settings that you do not have). Presumably the hardcoded settings could be determined and set as part of the coding (it was claimed this is possible with the M3 GTS).

So tell us, how does it feel to have this functionality now that you have been so accustomed to driving an M3 without it for all these years? Do you now immediately hit the M Button when you get in the car (which I assume you have left set to MDM, Sport, Sport as show in the pic)? Do you find Servotronic Sport much more suited to the car? What about Sport+ "Power" have you tried it?

And what about the button on the wheel? Have you considered or investigated getting one that says "M"? And were you able to choose which or the two "wildcard" buttons was to be transformed into the M Button?

Last edited by mkoesel; 04-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Realized I made a small mistake in first paragraph
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Very impressive - unless you're talking some kind of outrageous price tag.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Nice! Does the Servotronic option actually make the steering heavier or no? I'm curious whether the steering wheel with the M button also includes a different rack that has configurable levels of power steering assist or whether it's really just software to get that option enabled.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Nice! Does the Servotronic option actually make the steering heavier or no? I'm curious whether the steering wheel with the M button also includes a different rack that has configurable levels of power steering assist or whether it's really just software to get that option enabled.
As I remember, it is all software according to the "after sales brochure" and past discussions on the topic (which always takes me 10 mintues to find when I need to look it up - or I'd post the link for you).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

if it's all software related to activate MDM and Servo, then shame on you BMW for making us pay for this upgrade, when all cars should have all this as a standard feature.
I recongize after 2008 or 2009, it was standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

sweet!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
if it's all software related to activate MDM and Servo, then shame on you BMW for making us pay for this upgrade, when all cars should have all this as a standard feature.
I recongize after 2008 or 2009, it was standard.
It only became standard on (US) cars, as of MY 2011.5.

(BMW Canada chose to keep it as an option, and keep electric seats and that right rear view mirror that tilts down when you park as standard, which the US lost as standard equipment in getting the MDrive standard.)
      04-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
It only became standard on (US) cars, as of MY 2011.5.
Yep. And I'll add that the simplified system that allowed BMW to make MDrive standard without also making iDrive standard was not developed until the GTS came about, which did not ship until mid-2010. That's sort of the history behind why we had to wait for standard MDrive, although I agree with mdosu that they really should have had it from the beginning. It isn't rocket science after all, just hold the M Button to program your current Power, EDC, Drivelogic, and shift-light settings to it.

Now, for the cars out there with iDrive but no MDrive, the fact that BMW USA allowed people to spec it that way to begin with was bogus at best. Stand-alone iDrive really should have added 2MD automatically in the US. And what's most ridiculous is that some people actually got confused into paying for iDrive and EDC seperately instead of spec-ing ZTP which would have essentially gotten them MDrive for free or just about. In other countries where you can add any option to the car ad-hoc, I sincerely doubt that there were more than a handful of cars (if that) where the buyer specs iDrive but chose not to select 2MD. I.e. most of us avoided MDrive because we did not want the double hump, not because we were not cool with the idea of paying for the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

So, yeah, this is great news for guys like this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365988
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580933
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Mike is the man!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Color me impressed! Cant wait to hear all the details!

I do not have MDM if you couldnt tell.
      04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Impressive, but like others have said the true hurdle will be implementing this on non-iDrive cars.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Very impressive indeed. Great job!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
How much did that all cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
Very impressive - unless you're talking some kind of outrageous price tag.
The retrofit costs less than $1000 for everything -- that's buying the parts new and the necessary coding (but including swap labor, though that would not be much). And that estimate is on the high side (possibly by as much as a couple hundred bucks even...). Regardless, very worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Nice! Does the Servotronic option actually make the steering heavier or no?
It's all software, no difference in rack (i.e., yes, it works).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
It is not 100% software in that you can't JUST code for it... but the necessary hardware costs the same with and without M-drive. There is no reason BMW needed to make a non-M-drive version; it is absolute bullshit and was an asshole move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yep. And I'll add that the simplified system that allowed BMW to make MDrive standard without also making iDrive standard was not developed until the GTS came about, which did not ship until mid-2010. That's sort of the history behind why we had to wait for standard MDrive, although I agree with mdosu that they really should have had it from the beginning. It isn't rocket science after all, just hold the M Button to program your current Power, EDC, Drivelogic, and shift-light settings to it.
I think you are being too kind That really just reeks of laziness on BMW's part; if nothing else, they could have had an M button with just default settings (e.g., M-drive, power sport, and servo sport) and people could take it or leave it on whether to use it. That would have cost them nothing and at least allowed people an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Oh wow - you sir are one pioneering SOB. Finally, proof-positive that it can be done. Too cool! BTW, you are now the only guy in the US (in all of North America?), with iDrive, MDrive, but no EDC.

Now - as Julie said - the next hurdle (for the community, not for you ) is retrofitting the non-iDrive-dependent MDrive functionality found in many non-iDrive-equipped M3s (including all the ones sold in the US) from MY2011.5 onward. I suspect there are a lot more of us out there with no iDrive and no MDrive than there are with iDrive but no MDrive. The big question remains, were there hardware changes made to support this feature or not? Unlike in your situation, we have to rely on holding down the M Button to program and it is not clear whether our current steering wheel button can support that (though it seems such a minor detail on the surface). Even if we could not get the programming, though, I would be happy with all of my settings hardcoded (which would also inlude the two additional DCT settings that you do not have). Presumably the hardcoded settings could be determined and set as part of the coding (it was claimed this is possible with the M3 GTS).
There is hardware. The secret (which was uncovered by Andy (BMWM.D.) after he scoured the factory diagrams to determine what was different between M-drive and non-M-drive cars) is simply the steering unit switch column. There are four varieties:
1. M-drive and Rain sensor
2. M-drive, no rain sensor
3. No M-drive, rain sensor
4. No M-drive, rain sensor

This is the part that is asinine as there is no reason to have more than TWO varieties (since I assume the rain sensor does require additional hardware). The pricing is identical across all four. You can see these here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...eering_column/

So my car shipped with 61 31 9 123 049 -- no M-drive but with rain sensor. I swapped in 61 31 9 123 060 (M-drive with rain sensor), did the necessary coding (well Benvo did!), and voila!

I can't see why it wouldn't work on a non-iDrive BMW, with the caveat that you may likely need to pick hard-coded settings (that is, until someone donates an M3 GTS or a 2011.5+ model for Mike to play with). That is something that will need to work out with Mike, however, as the non-iDrive does make it more of a pain to double-check whether things are working, etc.

Quote:
So tell us, how does it feel to have this functionality now that you have been so accustomed to driving an M3 without it for all these years? Do you now immediately hit the M Button when you get in the car (which I assume you have left set to MDM, Sport, Sport as show in the pic)? Do you find Servotronic Sport much more suited to the car? What about Sport+ "Power" have you tried it?
It feels like the car I always wanted it to be. I actually had pretty bad buyer's remorse for awhile solely due to this issue (I was not aware that iDrive with no M-drive was even an option... uneducated buyer ). The servotronic steering is kind of overrated. I went to the track yesterday and while it feels heavier, it mainly just made my wrists tired faster But I can see how it probably smooths out steering inputs so I will leave it.

I haven't even tried Sport+ as everyone seems to say it is too sensitive. Plus I am so used to regular Sport, that I don't really want to relearn throttle control (I leave it on Sport all the time as even going back and forth between Normal is annoying). It does seem like it would be easier to rev-match... but not sure if that is worth it being touchier. I'll have to experiment with it.

The MDM though is really the bread and butter and worth it alone. I got used to driving with DSC off on the track, but there are certain SoCal tracks that are not particularly safe IMO and having that extra insurance is nice. And on the street, DSC on is fine a lot of the time (i.e., sitting in rush hour traffic on the way to work), but there are times where you want to get on it a little bit and the complete power cut off DSC ruins the car (and I don't turn DSC off on the street).

Quote:
And what about the button on the wheel? Have you considered or investigated getting one that says "M"? And were you able to choose which or the two "wildcard" buttons was to be transformed into the M Button?
The top button automatically becomes the M button and only the bottom one is a wildcard. I could get one that says M, but that really is the only difference... the label I need to replace my trim anyway at some point due to a cosmetic blemish, and if I do then I will look into it then. Otherwise I'll have M-drive sleeper mode
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The age old question has finally been answered!

I need this in my life. Do I have to drive to CA?

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I was not aware that iDrive with no M-drive was even an option... uneducated buyer

I leave it on Sport all the time as even going back and forth between Normal is annoying.
iDrive with no M Drive technically IS an option, but I'm amazed that any dealer or buyer would have opted for that configuration. The Tech Package doesn't add much more to the cost especially when you consider you get EDC and Comfort Access with that bundle. Bummer that you got that car OP, but awesome that you got M Drive in the end!

As for Sport vs Normal throttle, I too have driven full-time in Sport because rev matching is easier, although at my most recent track weekend I came to the conclusion that Sport isn't ideal for precise throttle control while cornering. Sport is great because a sharper throttle makes the car feel more "on edge" and faster (yes, I know it's actually not), but by definition it's less linear, and linearity is what you want on the track.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0