BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Wind noise - question on potential adjustments

2008 Coupe
So at highway speeds, getting a nasty wind noise from drivers side window. Upon inspecting for any gaps, worn rubber seals, etc. I noticed the gap between the glass and the B pillar seems a little wide.....and is a bit wider at the top than the bottom. There are no issues with open and closure.

I guess I could try adjusting the stryker first to just make the glass sit firmer against the rubber seal.....but was curious if there is an adjustment from fore to aft for either the door or the window itself. Door alignment seems okay in terms of gap at leading edge and trailing edge in terms of meeting the body panels. So adjusting the window glass itself would be preferred.

Thanks for any insights!!
Attached Images

10-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Its adjustable. take it too a shop that has the right tool.
      10-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

Subd
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I notice when I open my door the window cracks open a touch, then when I close the door it also closes that gap you identified. I have a e93 so im not sure if the coupe is different but it seems to me that the last step of window closing is not completing for some reason and that is allowing your window to stay open a touch letting that wind noise in. Try opening the passenger side and see if the window cracks up and down a little as I tried to describe.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I notice when I open my door the window cracks open a touch, then when I close the door it also closes that gap you identified. I have a e93 so im not sure if the coupe is different but it seems to me that the last step of window closing is not completing for some reason and that is allowing your window to stay open a touch letting that wind noise in. Try opening the passenger side and see if the window cracks up and down a little as I tried to describe.
So I adjusted the Stryker inward about 1-2mm. I also used a little leatherique on the rubber trim/seal. The vertical section between the glass and B pillar was definitely harder and not as flexible as the rest around the door. Heck, probably supposed to be to a certain point but did feel dried out.
Wind noise is gone. Of course now I can hear a l little plastic rattle I need to resolve.