BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

The big detail coming up!

So as I recently acquired a 2009 E90 M3 and it is time for a little detail! I finally got my order(s) and I am planning on getting it done one of the coming week ends.

Below is a picture of what I just picked up. I have only used CG's shampoo and wash products; I have the citrus wash that I used with my two buckets and the honey dew foam together with the foam gun/lance. I saw this new optical series that seems pretty good, and figured that I would give the line-up a try. Just briefly what I got (from left to right):

Four new 5.5" pads (will use with with Porter Cable DA)
Polishing pad conditioner
Optical grade V34, V36 and V38
Lava Glow Wax (was planning on applying the wax with the black pad as recommended by CG)

In the background just some new MF towels, as well as the dual xenon lamp. I got so tired of rolling the car in and out of the garage to see if I had gotten all the swirls!

Please feel free til chime in with any general advice or something specific to the M3. I searched the forum and found a couple of interesting pointers that I wouldnt have thought of myself. Also if you have any experience with the products that I am about to try please let me know how you liked them, and how to best utilize them (pad combo etc.)

Detailed write-up will follow for sure. Till then take care!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Well best of luck. I just did my Jetta; took me 2 weeks. Only because I work too darn much, and I barely have time. It's a good thing I finished.
Post some photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i'm sure your car will turn out great but for future projects experiment with some other polishes! cg polishes are generally not a favorite but I have no doubt they will do the job
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I suggest more pads, especially if you're doing the entire car at once. 2 or 3 more each (or even more) of the orange and white pads will be helpful.

Oh and haven't used the CG polishes, but I've read a few comments similar to what has been said above.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking about picking up some Menzerna products (seems to be very popular), but from what I have read they don't seem to do too well with DAs. You need at least a machine with forced rotation or even a high speed polisher. Please correct me if Im wrong... So far I've been using something called Glare which has been great, however it does not provide a great cut with a regular DA. The feel and longevity of the product was awesome though, it's not actually wax based but contains glassplexin; pretty interesting product!

Anyways, all I am hoping for with the new CG products is improved cut with my Porter Cable to get rid of the great majority of the swirls. I am afraid I might have to upgrade the machine to get the desired cut, and at that time I might give Menzerna a try!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It really depends on the paint on the car. Some paints like Jet Black are notoriously soft. You can do correction with an all in one like Werkstat Prime let alone pure polishes. Others are harder. I find that the Porter Cable with the 5 inch pads can do some good correction if you work it well.

My go-to combo is the low profile lake country hydrotech 5 inch pads with Carpro Fixer. Just by varying the pads, you can have a lot of cut or a finishing polish and no dust at all. Works great for simplicity and ease of use.

Menzerna SIP works great as well, but you really need a rotary polisher to make use of it. With the rotary you have to be really careful, you can burn paint easily. I've seen it happen and the end result is you need to repaint the panel... not fun. SIP and most Menzerna products also dust a lot.
      06-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
darnelld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mystic Blue ZCP E46

good luck. I am looking forward to the pics
      06-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It really depends on the paint on the car. Some paints like Jet Black are notoriously soft. You can do correction with an all in one like Werkstat Prime let alone pure polishes. Others are harder. I find that the Porter Cable with the 5 inch pads can do some good correction if you work it well.

My go-to combo is the low profile lake country hydrotech 5 inch pads with Carpro Fixer. Just by varying the pads, you can have a lot of cut or a finishing polish and no dust at all. Works great for simplicity and ease of use.

Menzerna SIP works great as well, but you really need a rotary polisher to make use of it. With the rotary you have to be really careful, you can burn paint easily. I've seen it happen and the end result is you need to repaint the panel... not fun. SIP and most Menzerna products also dust a lot.
Thanks for the insight! But really!? I didnt know the different colors would have a different "hardness". I thought it was all in the clear coat, which I would imagine being the same across all the colors. Any insight on how the interlagos blue paint is?

But as you mention about the rotary and burning the paint is why I havent taken that step quite yet. I have lots of training with my PC but Im afraid of damaging the paint with a rotary. Thats' why I was considering something like the Makita BO6040 or the Flex 3401 as a happy medium, never tried it myself or seen it in use.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

SIP works great with a porter cable. Their powergloss 1000 is the one that they recommend a rotary with. Not sure about FG400
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

So to continue the discussion about the soft vs. hard paints... From what I have heard/read the Jet Black paint is notorious for being soft, however some people claim that the remaining colors are very hard.

I was curious to see what type of experiences people have had with the different colors. Especially with Interlagos Blue!
Appreciate 0