BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

06-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #177
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

M3_Jay Move Over MisterClutch888 rTrackM3 shootnjunky rsuhandy
Is there any interest in getting a group buy together? If I can get 5-10 email addresses PM'ed to me with commitments I have a lead on someone that can make more like these for us!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      06-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #178
rTrackM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Is there any interest in getting a group buy together? If I can get 5-10 email addresses PM'ed to me with commitments I have a lead on someone that can make more like these for us!
PMed!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #179
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
I’m in
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #180
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Quote:
I’m in
As long as they are quickly removable with an Allen key, yes i am in. I trailer my car frequently and need to be able to remove them (not snap in and fight with a screwdriver to pry them out)
      06-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #181
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Are they just going to copy the OPs design, or is it a contract manufacture shop using his files?
      06-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #182
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
As long as they are quickly removable with an Allen key, yes i am in. I trailer my car frequently and need to be able to remove them (not snap in and fight with a screwdriver to pry them out)
I will have to see. They shouldn't impact trailering, I have a current set on my car that was really low and has been trailered a couple times and they haven't scraped or gotten in the way at all.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #183
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Are they just going to copy the OPs design, or is it a contract manufacture shop using his files?
The plan with the current lead would be to create a similar, but new, design. If he wants I sell the files I would be open to talking about purchasing and doing myself, but would need some commitments either way.

Appreciate 1
DRLane3985.50
      06-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #184
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will have to see. They shouldn't impact trailering, I have a current set on my car that was really low and has been trailered a couple times and they haven't scraped or gotten in the way at all.
It's not about scraping, it's about the tie down points. I use the T hooks that the jack points are fastened into and the plastic ones are such a pain to put in and out
      06-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #185
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not about scraping, it's about the tie down points. I use the T hooks that the jack points are fastened into and the plastic ones are such a pain to put in and out
Ahhh interesting! I'll see what we can do

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #186
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
The plan with the current lead would be to create a similar, but new, design. If he wants I sell the files I would be open to talking about purchasing and doing myself, but would need some commitments either way.
Very cool. Would be a huge asset to community if somewhere did. Surprised he hasn't sold them. I guess IND could recreate with ease if they wanted to.

Good luck!
      06-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #187
rTrackM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I am in the same boat with the T-hook..... For whatever reason the e46 plastic pads could be pulled out with my hand or little effort with a flat head screwdriver and reinstalled with a firm press. Now with the e92 they break way too easily and when I try to put them back in they won’t stay because the clip is compromised.

These sound like they might be tougher to install and remove than expected? Maybe there is a better solution?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #188
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rTrackM3 View Post
Quote:
I am in the same boat with the T-hook..... For whatever reason the e46 plastic pads could be pulled out with my hand or little effort with a flat head screwdriver and reinstalled with a firm press. Now with the e92 they break way too easily and when I try to put them back in they won’t stay because the clip is compromised.

These sound like they might be tougher to install and remove than expected? Maybe there is a better solution?
If you find one let me know 😀. I would think these would be good to take on and off since there's just an Allen bolt that fastens them. Way easier than the plastic removal method i use
      06-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #189
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rTrackM3 View Post
Quote:
I am in the same boat with the T-hook..... For whatever reason the e46 plastic pads could be pulled out with my hand or little effort with a flat head screwdriver and reinstalled with a firm press. Now with the e92 they break way too easily and when I try to put them back in they won't stay because the clip is compromised.

If you find one let me know 😀. I would think these would be good to take on and off since there's just an Allen bolt that fastens them. Way easier than the plastic removal method i use
I use these. I also trailer my car using the T hooks.
Stock jack point inserts with the tabs cut off, and some aluminum jack pad inserts off eBay. They stick together well. Epoxied neodymium magnets into the top of the plastic insert so it stays put while positioning the jack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #190
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
looks really great..
question though. The original plastic ones will prevent hard damage on to the frame.(somewhere in TIS said it I think) Won't a solid Al block be the a problem when there is a big shock or some mishandling?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #191
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

If I'm using jack stands, the plastic bits go in.
If using a floor jack, the plastic bit fits in the hole in the rocker panel, the aluminum piece fits in the plastic piece, and the jack lifts on the aluminum piece. (At least that was the approach before the roll cage - now there's a jack point from the roll cage I usually use.)
Most of the time, there's nothing there and the holes for the T hooks are readily accessible while trailering.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #192
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

I could maybe be convinced to run another batch of these. I wouldn't be able to get to it until later in the summer. I've received a few requests for them for sure. I had lots of interest on that first run, but ended up with 5 or so left over that took a while to finally sell.

They are not "cheap" but I think they provide a lot of value, and the price reflects what it cost me to make them the way I want. I entertained making them for a few vendors, but they felt the price was already high and needed me to give them a bunch of margin as well, and that didn't pencil, it certainly wasn't worth me making them at the cost they wanted.
2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      06-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #193
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I could maybe be convinced to run another batch of these. I wouldn't be able to get to it until later in the summer. I've received a few requests for them for sure. I had lots of interest on that first run, but ended up with 5 or so left over that took a while to finally sell.

They are not "cheap" but I think they provide a lot of value, and the price reflects what it cost me to make them the way I want. I entertained making them for a few vendors, but they felt the price was already high and needed me to give them a bunch of margin as well, and that didn't pencil, it certainly wasn't worth me making them at the cost they wanted.
I'd definitely be interested to get a set if you decide to make them again. Sorry that I had to back out on the first batch. I purchased a set of wheels and F/R BBK around that time, so timely wasn't the greatest.
Appreciate 0