BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

BMW M Experience @ Lime Rock Park 10/8 to 10/11

Is anyone on the forums attending? I am signed up for Oct. 9. I called the PC and was told this is a much more intense version of M School as it is being held on a proper race track. Drivers will rotate between the M6, M5, M3, and 1 M Coupe. I have never had any formal training other than CCA HPDEs so I am really looking forward to this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

$2,500 per day is pretty pricey.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Pricey, but pretty much in line with similar experiences with Porsche at Barber Motorsports Park or the Skip Barber High Perf Driving Schools at Lime Rock. You get to use their cars, and consume their tires and brakes. Plus, where else can you drive the brand new M5 on a track without having bought one?
      09-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
. You'd learn more at 5 normal DE days.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
. You'd learn more at 5 normal DE days.
This is what I am wondering. I am really just starting out, and have only been to three total DE days and I thought some more formal instruction would be beneficial. Is it worth the extra cash to get out and drive their cars? Is the instruction better/more intensive? Or am I better off sticking with DEs? I was thinking about Skip Barber or M School at the PC, but since LRP is close to me I don't have to deal with the travel to SC.

I know the comments will likely vary widely on this so I am interested in what some of the more experienced drivers think. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
This is what I am wondering. I am really just starting out, and have only been to three total DE days and I thought some more formal instruction would be beneficial. Is it worth the extra cash to get out and drive their cars? Is the instruction better/more intensive? Or am I better off sticking with DEs? I was thinking about Skip Barber or M School at the PC, but since LRP is close to me I don't have to deal with the travel to SC.

I know the comments will likely vary widely on this so I am interested in what some of the more experienced drivers think. Thanks.
This is all just my opinion. You will get more track time at $2500 worth of de's; that is a fact. You can get excellent instructing, depending on who you run with. I think it helps to learn on your own car and with DSC off, which, unless they changed the rules, they don't allow at BMW schools (MDM only in Spartanburg when I was there).

The learning curve is very steep the first few days and the additional track time is more beneficial IMO. You need awesome racing instructors more and more as you get fast actually; the first few de's are about getting comfortable on track, learning flags and rules, and generally gaining car control and proficiency.

Come to a Rezoom event and I will make sure you get some time with some excellent instructors, (and when they're not around, me!).

Aside from Rezoom (which I'm partial to since I love the crowd that goes and the way they run their events), Tarheel BMWCCA has many great instructors.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If you are in the CT area, try events with SCDA (www.scda1.com). They run at Lime Rock, NJMP, NHMS and Watkins Glen. The instructors are all SCCA/NASA racers and of excellent quality with a lot of racing experience. I have found them to be a little less conservative than 'owner club' instructors (with the exception of VZ and another guy with First Settlers PCA), but the sessions seem to be under better control with less cars going off.
      09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

I think the best reason to try the M Experience would be to try the other M cars and compare them to the M3. They may also do some skid pad time which you usually don't get at HPDE events.

You will learn,but it is comparatively expensive
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

I am not saying the CCA instructors are inadequate, in fact I had very good instructors for the events I attended. They provided very good feedback and encouraged me to push. My thought was that I might develop more quickly after an event like this. I know it's expensive and if my money is better spent in additional HPDEs then that's great I'll do that. Just trying to gauge the value of these driving schools. Thanks for the feedback - its extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter
I think the best reason to try the M Experience would be to try the other M cars and compare them to the M3. They may also do some skid pad time which you usually don't get at HPDE events.

You will learn,but it is comparatively expensive
My primary motivation is not to drive other M cars, just to develop skills, but it would be cool to rip around LRP in brand new M5s and M6s! Just don't know if it's $2500 cool.

Agree on the skid pad. They also have timed auto x which I am not sure if you can get through the car clubs.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
Quote:

This is all just my opinion. You will get more track time at $2500 worth of de's; that is a fact. You can get excellent instructing, depending on who you run with. I think it helps to learn on your own car and with DSC off, which, unless they changed the rules, they don't allow at BMW schools (MDM only in Spartanburg when I was there).

The learning curve is very steep the first few days and the additional track time is more beneficial IMO. You need awesome racing instructors more and more as you get fast actually; the first few de's are about getting comfortable on track, learning flags and rules, and generally gaining car control and proficiency.

Come to a Rezoom event and I will make sure you get some time with some excellent instructors, (and when they're not around, me!).

Aside from Rezoom (which I'm partial to since I love the crowd that goes and the way they run their events), Tarheel BMWCCA has many great instructors.
Thanks. If I'm down in your area I'd run with you anytime! Thanks for the offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
My primary motivation is not to drive other M cars, just to develop skills, but it would be cool to rip around LRP in brand new M5s and M6s! Just don't know if it's $2500 cool.

Agree on the skid pad. They also have timed auto x which I am not sure if you can get through the car clubs.
There are much better places to run cars like that than Lime Rock...the straights aren't long enough! Although the auto-X track looks fun!

Local BMW CCA's run auto-X and auto-X schools. Boston BMW CCA runs a couple of schools at Deven's airfield which isn't too far and a good chance to throw the car around with the DSC off!
      09-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
There are much better places to run cars like that than Lime Rock...the straights aren't long enough! Although the auto-X track looks fun!

Local BMW CCA's run auto-X and auto-X schools. Boston BMW CCA runs a couple of schools at Deven's airfield which isn't too far and a good chance to throw the car around with the DSC off!
So it certinaly sounds like there are cheaper and just as effective ways of getting this type of seat time. Thinking of canceling now...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I've thought about this for a month, also had signed up for Tuesday 10/9. This morning i went ahead with hotel, flight, and rental reservations.

Yes it is expensive, especially since lodging, etc is not included, but it is a unique opportunity. Plus I'm staying an extra day or so to sight see. My first time in the area.

I do have HPDE experience from years ago but am using M Schools to get back up to speed and improve my skills.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC
I've thought about this for a month, also had signed up for Tuesday 10/9. This morning i went ahead with hotel, flight, and rental reservations.

Yes it is expensive, especially since lodging, etc is not included, but it is a unique opportunity. Plus I'm staying an extra day or so to sight see. My first time in the area.

I do have HPDE experience from years ago but am using M Schools to get back up to speed and improve my skills.
Sounds good. Don't forget to check in after and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0