BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Which is more valuable to you?
ZCP 34 20.36%
6MT 133 79.64%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

07-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #133
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Nowhere near as nice as an Accord for daily chores. In addition, and even worse, the E9XM is not "fun" when driven like an Accord.
Huh, I was completely with you up until this. My DD is a Altima 3.5SL (company car) that gets 40k+ miles per year. I don't hate it, but there's no way I'd ever choose it over my M3 in any situation other than hauling people--but that's like a 2% of the time thing, and I already have better vehicles than either for that.

Quote:
And so if you're driving it like an Accord 90% of the time, what's the point of the car at all, is my main point. In other words, if you're not enjoying the car in a spirited manner, OFTEN, then I personally don't see why someone would drive it everyday.
What's the point of any of these cars? I'm pushing for a vehicle allowance at work so I can turn in my Altima and use my M3 or 911 (most likely a newer version of either) for daily driving.
      07-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #134
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Have we decided which is better yet? No? Ok, please let me know when we do.
DCT, duh!

Drove manuals for 20 years and I kind of still miss those but I also don't...hard to explain.

Personally, I think we should resurrect manual windows for all you manual-ites

30-40 rotations each way will get you all wound up!
Still not enough? Time for a manual watch!

All kidding aside in an ideal world I'd have one of each but the bitchy wife (who also drives manuals) won't allow it...
Appreciate 1
tooloud10789.00
      07-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #135
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Huh, I was completely with you up until this. My DD is a Altima 3.5SL (company car) that gets 40k+ miles per year. I don't hate it, but there's no way I'd ever choose it over my M3 in any situation other than hauling people--but that's like a 2% of the time thing, and I already have better vehicles than either for that.

What's the point of any of these cars? I'm pushing for a vehicle allowance at work so I can turn in my Altima and use my M3 or 911 (most likely a newer version of either) for daily driving.
Yeah, I guess I didn't convey my actual point.

In response to some of the posts that suggest that they don't rev the motor past 4K most of the time, I'm arguing that this car is pointless and not fun and thus worse than an Accord.

In other words, if you never/rarely drive the car in heat, then why own it? It's not good for normal, mundane driving - uncomfortable, low torque,,loud,,etc. it's not bad, per se, but definitely there are much better choices for that. Why not just drive a super refined car in that case?

I rip on the car every time I drive and so it's fun and THAT'S why I grab its keys. If I know I'm not going to have fun I'd way rather take my HD pickup.

Last edited by EricSMG; 08-01-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
scrammer422.50
      08-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #136
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:

In response to some of the posts that suggest that they don't rev the motor past 4K most of the time, I'm arguing that this car is pointless and not fun and thus worse than an Accord.
I think you conveyed your point just fine. You're just going to be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks an Accord is better in any significant way than any model BMW, let alone a flagship model like the M3. Don't forget that the M3 is still a refined luxury car at it's core. It can act like a 328i if you ask it to, and a 328i is a better car than an Accord. You're acting like we're driving race cars here while the M3 is not nearly as raw and single-purposed as you seem to think. It's an exceptional car in many ways and for many purposes.

IMO, driving a nimble manual car is fun in and of itself under all circumstances other than sitting in traffic. That is precisely why I didn't even consider a DCT which as you pointed out needs to be thrashed on to be enjoyed properly.

Quote:
In other words, if you never/rarely drive the car in heat, then why own it?
The simple answer is because it's a badass car and we as car enthusiasts love badass cars! It's also one of the very few choices in the segment and price range that offers a manual transmission, which may not be important to you but is for others. That, together with the V8 engine, are huge selling points that very few cars can match. What else can you get that meets the criteria? Truth be told, if the C63 offered a manual there is a strong chance I'd be driving one.

Why does anyone own anything excessive? Let's just limit all cars to 150hp since most people don't really use more than that anyway, right? Perhaps you live in a place where you can't relate to this, but where I live it's not practical to unleash a 414hp 8400RPM V8 everywhere I go (let alone 625hp in my case). That doesn't mean I don't want to do so every now and then and find appropriate opportunities to enjoy the car's capabilities. Those opportunities are enough to justify owning a car like this instead of an Accord.

Quote:
It's not good for normal, mundane driving - uncomfortable
This point is absurd to me. How is it uncomfortable? In comfort mode it rides as smooth as a 3 series, it has softer leather seats, a fantastic sound system, great ergonomics, very good cabin sound deadening, great visibility, etc. I've never met anyone who thought any modern BMW 3 series was uncomfortable.

Quote:
low torque,,loud,,etc. it's not bad, per se, but definitely there are much better choices for that.
Plenty of torque for a street car, though a supercharger doesn't hurt. Not very loud inside due to sound deadening and not loud outside when you don't want it to be. There are no better choices that strike the same balance and do everything as well as the M3.
Quote:
Why not just drive a super refined car in that case?
Well for starters, because they don't come in manual . They normally also don't look or sound as good and are objectively less cool. Plenty of other reasons but you get the idea.
Quote:

I rip on the car every time I drive and so it's fun and THAT'S why I grab its keys. If I'm know I'm not going to have fun I'd way rather take my HD pickup.
That's great for you but are you really incapable of seeing any other use case for this car or why anyone with different priorities may still like it? You realize the vast majority of people who buy these cars are using them as daily drivers with occasional spirited drives and track days? A lot of people can't have more than one car like you and must compromise on one car to do it all. Just because those people don't drive like a boy racer every time they go out doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense to own an M3.
      08-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #137
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
This point is absurd to me. How is it uncomfortable? In comfort mode it rides as smooth as a 3 series, it has softer leather seats, a fantastic sound system, great ergonomics, very good cabin sound deadening, great visibility, etc. I've never met anyone who thought any modern BMW 3 series was uncomfortable.
It's nowhere near as comfortable as a regular 3 series - how can you even suggest that. It's an M3 - it's stiff and harsh. Yes, it's very refined for what it is but it is NOT a standard 3 series. That said, you're probably in your 20s (guessing based on your comments here, totally fine, nothing wrong with that) and so your 'comfort' tolerance is much higher. As you get older your tolerance drops off immensely. I simply cannot drive my E46 M3 every day - it's too raw, to rowdy, too much. A younger man could easily. The E9XM is borderline - I could drive it everyday but it would get annoying. The F80Z is super hardcore.... VASTLY less comfortable than an F30.

And the standard 3 series is a poor value relative to an Accord. Have you driven late model Accords? As nice as a base 3 series but cost WAY less. I can't see a case at all for the base 3 series with all of the awesome cars available today. But I digress.

Look - not trying to debate with you. Just sharing/comparing opposing opinions. I agree that the M3 is badass and that's a large part of owning one. And if you can only have a single car then by all means, the M3 is great for that. I lived that way for many years. It's all good.

I'm simply saying that YOU should enjoy the car more than it sounds like you do. Putting around town in an M3 is not fun (E36 M3, yes.... high strung E9XM with super long 6MT gears..... not really). So make the ownership worth it and enjoy the car.... is all I'm saying. Find a canyon run on the weekends. Take the long way home from the office.

Good debate

Last edited by EricSMG; 08-01-2018 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #138
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's nowhere near as comfortable as a regular 3 series - how can you even suggest that. It's an M3 - it's stiff and harsh. Yes, for it's very refined for what it is but it is NOT a standard 3 series.

And the standard 3 series is a poor value relative to an Accord. Have you driven late model Accords? As nice as a base 3 series but cost WAY less. But I digress.

Look - not trying to debate with you. Just sharing/comparing opposing opinions. I agree that the M3 is badass and that's a large part of owning one. And if you can only have a single car then by all means, the M3 is great for that.

I'm simply saying that YOU should enjoy the car more than it sounds like you do. Putting around town in an M3 is not fun. So make the ownership worth it and enjoy the car.... is all I'm saying
I don't find the M3 stiff or harsh in comfort mode, like at all. It's only truly stiff/harsh in Sport EDC mode. I actually think it rides better than most of my friends/family members' "regular" cars. I guess this is somewhat subjective.

I'm not trying to debate you either, I'm sharing and comparing opinions just like you are. It's all in good fun.

I enjoy my car every single time I drive it. I get sad when I have to drive anything else for any length of time. It just so happens that I enjoy my car in different (more?) ways than you do. Like I mentioned earlier, my car sees it all and is used in every way BMW designed it to be used, which means not just sitting at or near redline at all times.

EDIT: Ahhh you got me with the edit again . I live in Wisconsin. There are no canyons here . The long way home from the office is the 35mph scenic route along Lake Michigan. That doesn't mean I don't find time to go out of my way for some fun though! And to reiterate my main point and the purpose of this thread: driving manual is fun!
      08-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #139
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If I could justify owning two cars for separate duties, I agree that the new generation Accords and Camrys are actually super nice. I'd probably go with that over 3 series if I needed an "I don't care about cars car."

My second car for weekend/track/hooligan purposes would likely not be an M3 though. A pure sports car with far fewer creature comforts would be my pick, and that's not what the E9x M3 is or was ever intended to be. The M3 shines as a do-it-all compromise car, not so much as a pure toy car IMO. Sure it can be used that way, but there are many better options for a second toy/fun car that are purpose-built and not practical for any other purpose. There are no better options for a do-it-all car as far as I'm concerned and that's why I use my M3 that way.

Last edited by Iyzmi; 08-01-2018 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #140
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't live at redline all day AND I certainly use the M3 for normal day to day things.

BUT - I'm heavy on the throttle quite often. I use the entire tach but I'm deep in the throttle and do spend a lot of time between 4k and 7k. I definitely agree that there is no better option for an all around sporty car than the M3 - that's why I've owned nothing but M3s for the last 15 years, starting with E36 M3s

That said, if I need to run over the Target and fight for a tight parking spot with the soccer moms, it's nice to have an "I don't care" vehicle to hop into. Or if I know I'll be at the office late and stuck in super heavy stop n go traffic on the way home.... won't take the M3. It sucks for that. Or if I know I'm taking coworkers out to lunch... no M3. Sucks for that. Or if I have to go somewhere with really bad roads... no M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #141
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That said, if I need to run over the Target and fight for a tight parking spot with the soccer moms, it's nice to have an "I don't care" vehicle to hop into. Or if I know I'll be at the office late and stuck in super heavy stop n go traffic on the way home.... won't take the M3. It sucks for that. Or if I know I'm taking coworkers out to lunch... no M3. Sucks for that. Or if I have to go somewhere with really bad roads... no M3.
Don't get me wrong either, I'd love to have a zero shits given vehicle for situations like that. I just can't justify it right now for a number of reasons. I tend to disagree that the E9x M3 "sucks" for anything other than hauling 5+ people or maybe Home Depot runs. It's fine/good for everything, and really exceptional at a few things. Hell, it's even fine in the snow with proper tires! That's what makes it the ultimate compromise, which we seem to have agreed upon.

My coworkers LOVE when we take my car out to lunch. Most people never get to experience the thrill of a supercharged M3.
And the folks who don't care think it's just another BMW when I drive normally. Never had anyone complain about volume or harshness, even my 89 yr old grandfather who complains about *everything* .
      08-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #142
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
It's nowhere near as comfortable as a regular 3 series - how can you even suggest that. It's an M3 - it's stiff and harsh. Yes, it's very refined for what it is but it is NOT a standard 3 series. That said, you're probably in your 20s (guessing based on your comments here, totally fine, nothing wrong with that) and so your 'comfort' tolerance is much higher. As you get older your tolerance drops off immensely. I simply cannot drive my E46 M3 every day - it's too raw, to rowdy, too much. A younger man could easily. The E9XM is borderline - I could drive it everyday but it would get annoying. The F80Z is super hardcore.... VASTLY less comfortable than an F30.

And the standard 3 series is a poor value relative to an Accord. Have you driven late model Accords? As nice as a base 3 series but cost WAY less. I can't see a case at all for the base 3 series with all of the awesome cars available today. But I digress.

Look - not trying to debate with you. Just sharing/comparing opposing opinions. I agree that the M3 is badass and that's a large part of owning one. And if you can only have a single car then by all means, the M3 is great for that. I lived that way for many years. It's all good.

I'm simply saying that YOU should enjoy the car more than it sounds like you do. Putting around town in an M3 is not fun (E36 M3, yes.... high strung E9XM with super long 6MT gears..... not really). So make the ownership worth it and enjoy the car.... is all I'm saying. Find a canyon run on the weekends. Take the long way home from the office.

Good debate
I agree man. I actually hate when I have to drive normally for more than 20 minutes consecutively in this car. Feels like such a waste. And if you don't have exceptional roads the ride is definitely rough, especially around Seattle. If I never/rarely drove it spiritedly I'd drive something non-performance oriented, and it definitely wouldn't be a bmw...Probably a Toyota SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #143
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I agree man. I actually hate when I have to drive normally for more than 20 minutes consecutively in this car. Feels like such a waste. And if you don't have exceptional roads the ride is definitely rough, especially around Seattle. If I never/rarely drove it spiritedly I'd drive something non-performance oriented, and it definitely wouldn't be a bmw...Probably a Toyota SUV.
You think Seattle has bad roads? Come check out the midwest where the only two seasons are winter and road construction.

I look forward to commuting in my M3 every morning. Just hearing it start up puts a smile on my face. I love hearing the exhaust blip of a perfectly executed downshift just cruising around town. Feeling the thick soft leather steering wheel while sitting in the perfectly bolstered seats and gripping the rifle bolt-action Autosolutions shifter make me happy. Letting it stretch its legs a couple times a week is more than enough to justify it as a perfect do-everything car. There are plenty of ways to enjoy a car without ripping it to shreds at all times and you would experience none of those in a Toyota SUV. You guys need to appreciate the little things that add up to make the M3 what it is instead of preaching that it's only good for one thing.
      08-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #144
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
You think Seattle has bad roads? Come check out the midwest where the only two seasons are winter and road construction.

You guys need to appreciate the little things that add up to make the M3 what it is instead of preaching that it's only good for one thing.
I don't know man, road quality has never really bothered me until I moved to Seattle...

I drive the M3 because it's good at more than one thing. I'm just saying that if I rarely enjoyed the aspects which made me purchase it, then the compromises would no longer be worth it. Simply put, I bought the car for the *performance driving experience and not just to look at or sit in and feel good (not saying either of those apply to you, but they do to many).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #145
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I drive the M3 because it's good at more than one thing. I'm just saying that if I rarely enjoyed the aspects which made me purchase it, then the compromises would no longer be worth it. Simply put, I bought the car for the *performance driving experience and not just to look at or sit in and feel good (not saying either of those apply to you, but they do to many).
You and I are on the same page my friend. I bought this car for a number of reasons and the driving experience was most definitely near the top of the list. I'm just saying there were many other aspects on that list which I am able to enjoy regardless of how well this car performs, which I've briefly mentioned above (6MT being one of them). Looking at it, sitting in it, and feeling good in it factored in quite heavily for me and I would rank those "X factors" equally as important as the driving experience. I don't think any of us would be here if BMW nailed the driving experience but the car looked and felt like a Pontiac Aztec...

I'm also not trying to paint a picture where my car is always babied and never sees any spirited driving. I mean, it's supercharged for a reason . I'm just saying I use it the way I feel safe and responsible, and that means I don't get to flog it during every single drive. YMMV but that doesn't mean I'm enjoying my car any more or less than the next guy.
      08-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #146
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:

OK, but that's already what I thought you meant.

Quote:
In other words, if you never/rarely drive the car in heat, then why own it? It's not good for normal, mundane driving - uncomfortable, low torque,,loud,,etc. it's not bad, per se, but definitely there are much better choices for that. Why not just drive a super refined car in that case?
Hmm, I disagree. I don't need to stay above 4k RPMs to enjoy the car (though it helps). I think it's very comfortable vehicle--though the E93 seats are a little lumpy and have *nothing* on the BMW multi-contour seats in my E70)--and I don't mind the ride quality at all. I greatly prefer a stiffer ride and the improved handling that usually comes with it, and if one can live with that, the E9x is just like a top-of-the-line 3-series...aka a 'normal' car.

Quote:
I rip on the car every time I drive and so it's fun and THAT'S why I grab its keys. If I know I'm not going to have fun I'd way rather take my HD pickup.
Actually sold my loaded '15 F150 for my M3. Don't really miss it.

Anyway, no worries with any of this, it's just interesting to talk about what we all like/dislike about these cars.
      08-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #147
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:

I look forward to commuting in my M3 every morning. Just hearing it start up puts a smile on my face. I love hearing the exhaust blip of a perfectly executed downshift just cruising around town. Feeling the thick soft leather steering wheel while sitting in the perfectly bolstered seats and gripping the rifle bolt-action Autosolutions shifter make me happy. Letting it stretch its legs a couple times a week is more than enough to justify it as a perfect do-everything car. There are plenty of ways to enjoy a car without ripping it to shreds at all times and you would experience none of those in a Toyota SUV. You guys need to appreciate the little things that add up to make the M3 what it is instead of preaching that it's only good for one thing.
First, the northeast roads are pitiful, potholes and cracked, lumpy, bumpy roads everywhere....especially in and around the cities. We may have you beat.

Second, I 1000% agree with you that you don't have to drive near the limit regularly to enjoy this car. Iyz, you said it perfectly. So many subtle things to enjoy in this car without exploring the limits on every outing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #148
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If I could justify owning two cars for separate duties, I agree that the new generation Accords and Camrys are actually super nice. I'd probably go with that over 3 series if I needed an "I don't care about cars car."
I figure there's no need to settle for a Camcord-type car when a slightly used 3-series is the same price. I loathe FWD.

Quote:
My second car for weekend/track/hooligan purposes would likely not be an M3 though. A pure sports car with far fewer creature comforts would be my pick, and that's not what the E9x M3 is or was ever intended to be. The M3 shines as a do-it-all compromise car, not so much as a pure toy car IMO. Sure it can be used that way, but there are many better options for a second toy/fun car that are purpose-built and not practical for any other purpose. There are no better options for a do-it-all car as far as I'm concerned and that's why I use my M3 that way.
Yep, I really want to get something that's rougher around the edges than an E9x M3. I know that a lot of owners like to think of these as hardcore sports cars, but I just don't see it--it's always felt like it's too far over the line into being a luxury/GT-type car.

I really regret not picking up an Exige S when they could be had for $35-40k all day long (maybe 8-9 years ago?). My wife urged me to go ahead and get one, but I figured I'd take my time and find the 'right' one. Next thing you know we had another kid, added the E93 as a family weekend car, and I'm out of space for more cars--not to mention that my wife would probably reach her limits if I showed up with a fourth frivolous car.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong either, I'd love to have a zero shits given vehicle for situations like that. I just can't justify it right now for a number of reasons. I tend to disagree that the E9x M3 "sucks" for anything other than hauling 5+ people or maybe Home Depot runs. It's fine/good for everything, and really exceptional at a few things. Hell, it's even fine in the snow with proper tires! That's what makes it the ultimate compromise, which we seem to have agreed upon.
It's a great all-around car. If I could have only one of my cars, I'd probably keep the M3.

Quote:
My coworkers LOVE when we take my car out to lunch. Most people never get to experience the thrill of a supercharged M3.
And the folks who don't care think it's just another BMW when I drive normally. Never had anyone complain about volume or harshness, even my 89 yr old grandfather who complains about *everything* .
Yeah, nobody ever really seems to notice or care about my car. A few months ago my neighbor thought it was an I4/FWD car and looked bewildered when I told him it was V8/RWD. The strangest thing is that my old beater Land Rover probably gets the most attention of anything I've ever owned.
      08-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #149
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the E9x is just like a top-of-the-line 3-series...aka a 'normal' car.
See, I disagree here. It's not at all a top of the line base car. To be top of the line means loaded with features and that is not what defines an M3. An M3 is a hardcore sport version of the base car - totally different driveline, bushings, mounts, wheels, brakes, suspension, tires, steering, etc.

They drive very, very differently although it is obvious they are based on the same platform.

Quote:

Actually sold my loaded '15 F150 for my M3. Don't really miss it.
Oh, I would never drive a pickup instead of an M3 in most cases, but when you have both the M3 is that much more special. A little time away makes the heart grow fonder.... very true with special cars.

Quote:
You and I are on the same page my friend. I bought this car for a number of reasons and the driving experience was most definitely near the top of the list. I'm just saying there were many other aspects on that list which I am able to enjoy regardless of how well this car performs, which I've briefly mentioned above (6MT being one of them). Looking at it, sitting in it, and feeling good in it factored in quite heavily for me and I would rank those "X factors" equally as important as the driving experience. I don't think any of us would be here if BMW nailed the driving experience but the car looked and felt like a Pontiac Aztec...
Very good, post. Agreed on all counts.

I LOVE the feel of the car around me and do enjoy the many subjective qualities it has to offer.

But if I had to drive it 5 days a week in heavy traffic, under 35mph it would not only suck, but be totally pointless to be in. There is simply no way you can call that "fun" in any car.

Quote:
I figure there's no need to settle for a Camcord-type car when a slightly used 3-series is the same price. I loathe FWD.
Used, yes. But not new - zero contest. Spending $40k on a new 3 series vs. a $25k on a new Accord is crazy and yet TONS of people do. And the irony is that the vast majority of people who do couldn't tell you the differences in how the two cars drive, which means that they're paying $15k extra for status.

I don't know about you, but $15k is a shitload of money. And in this case, down the drain.

Quote:
It's a great all-around car. If I could have only one of my cars, I'd probably keep the M3.
Agreed - this is precisely why I've owned nothing but M3s (about 10 of them... I have a serious problem) over the last 15 years. Always with a pickup on the side, of course (home owner, dirt bike rider = mandatory truck)

There is no better all around car than the M3.

Last edited by EricSMG; 08-02-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #150
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But if I had to drive it 5 days a week in heavy traffic, under 35mph it would not only suck, but be totally pointless to be in. There is simply no way you can call that "fun" in any car.
FWIW, my commute options are either 15 miles at 70mph down the highway with light traffic, or the 35mph scenic route by the lake with the windows down and moonroof open. Either way I’m not driving like a mad man, yet still enjoying the M3. I rarely sit in heavy traffic.

Even if I agreed with you that driving “normally” can’t be fun, I’d rather not be having fun in a badass BMW M3 than not having fun in a lame Accord or Camry.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10789.00
      08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #151
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't live at redline all day AND I certainly use the M3 for normal day to day things.

BUT - I'm heavy on the throttle quite often. I use the entire tach but I'm deep in the throttle and do spend a lot of time between 4k and 7k. I definitely agree that there is no better option for an all around sporty car than the M3 - that's why I've owned nothing but M3s for the last 15 years, starting with E36 M3s

So I just tried to drive as you do, living between 4K and 7k RPMs. Not sure how you do that.
Appreciate 4
Iyzmi802.00
jiggz2148.50
PACarGuy685.00
Ab28592.50
      08-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #152
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
So I just tried to drive as you do, living between 4K and 7k RPMs. Not sure how you do that.
Not to say I don't get it up in the revs, but I just got back to the office and I felt bad bringing it up to 3k going through the parking lot. My exhaust makes a good bit of noise, though.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #153
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one here who isn't "enjoying" their car everywhere they go and perpetuating BMW driver stereotypes.

08-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #154
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:

I have 2 other vehicles (a 2018 Chevy Malibu used some for work, carrying people and rainy/snowy days and a 2001 Lexus GS, fully modded, my original toy from 8 years ago, still running, 310,000 miles), but I still drive my E93 DCT A LOT, for everyday errands, and for special occasions and trips...and half the time, to work in traffic.

Some days, I never crest 4000 RPMs, and I STILL love driving this car. Why?

First, it's rolling art. My car (along with most E9Xs), it's just utterly sexy - lowered on aftermarket 19s, silverstone, with a bulldog stance. Just beautiful. So, when I exit, I look back 95% of the time, and just shake my head. BMW penned a great shape....not overdone and subtly aggressive. I had an F82 as well, tanzanite, and it was lowered, and it was sexy too....but my E93 is just as.

Second, contrary to what most say, I think it's plenty quick enough up to 4000 RPMs in most situations. I'm not in full racing mode most times, so it's plenty swift enough to move faster than most cars without beating on it.

Third, my music sounds damn good, though I do have the upgraded Individual audio aka the Dirac. Base under the seats, and the mids are decent too. No complaints for a factory system, it's about as much as I could ask for in a M.

Fourth, I have a convertible, with the Akro Evo Titanium exhaust. Heaven for me, especially with the top down, even at 20 MPH.

So, given this, I drive my M3 ALL the time, in most situations....leaving it home only if I need to carry 3+ people or if I think it's going to rain. Other than that, I use the M, in all situations, even in traffic, and even on crappy roads (and we have plenty of those in the Northeast/Midatlantic region), and even in the winter as long as the roads are salt-free. I know how to dodge potholes, and I just drive slower.....while still enjoying this car.

In my M, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey....and in many cases, the longer the journey, the better.

Last edited by KevinGS; 08-03-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
Iyzmi802.00
tooloud10789.00