BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #23
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
I actually had an eerily similar experience. The car was advertised as a CPO, but I opted not to pay the premium for the CPO warranty to save a few thousand dollars that I knew I'd be unlikely to recoup.

Fast forward about 8 months I had a friend of mine paint correct the car. During the process, we discovered areas on the rear bumper, front fenders, hood, and front bumper where the clear coat was literally flaking away at the edges. Needless to say, I was very upset but it was a car that I bought sight unseen so at that point I knew the odds of recourse were already not in my favor.

I politely reached out to the dealer I bought the car from and started speaking to the sales manager of the dealership. My argument was that although I didn't pay for the CPO warranty, the car went through the full CPO inspection signed off by the dealership and I had a copy of the CPO checklist showing no body repair history and that all body panels were up to standard. The sales manager had a conversation with the dealer GM and they actually agreed to cover the cost of repainting the specific panels.

So, the bottom line is that it doesn't hurt to ask the dealership if they're willing to work with you. But I've learned my lesson from it and I'm hyper-sensitive to any evidence of paint work now.
Interesting real life experience. I definitely plan on reaching out.

How much did they end up paying out?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Interesting real life experience. I definitely plan on reaching out.

How much did they end up paying out?
I don't have the paperwork anymore, but it was in the ballpark of $4k back in 2011. The only thing I didn't like was that the dealership only agreed to cover the cost if I used their body shop of choice. They wouldn't let me use the shop I wanted, but I figured a free repair was better than nothing. I think the body shop got a clear impression of my expectations before I dropped the car off because it turned out pretty well.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I had a similar experience. One time I bought something that was used and then I got it home and found out that someone owned it before me. I was like WTF you told me that this was used and then I find out that it was used.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:20 AM   #26
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
I had a similar experience. One time I bought something that was used and then I got it home and found out that someone owned it before me. I was like WTF you told me that this was used and then I find out that it was used.
That's a pathetic attempt at sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #27
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

dealerships usually have contracted body shops and the contracts are really based on a price/know someone basis, I would reach out to the sales person who you bought the car from and just give them a heads up about the poor quality repaint.

that said you aren't in a place to get anything back on your purchase, although it doesnt seem like you are, but like others said doing the research prior to purchase would usually put you in the "know" to if areas of the vehicle have had paint work done at one point or another.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #28
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

Interesting dilemma, and IMHO you have a tough road ahead, but you have some things in your favor:
1. You purchased from a BMW dealership
2. Not CPO, but certified
3. BMW dealer prefers a happy customer

From the dealer perspective, less then ideal:
1. It took you almost two years to tell us these issues
2. You have rolled up 30k km's on the car
3. You fixed the "damage" so we can't even decide for ourselves if there was an issue or not

Can you ask for compensation, and if so how much? Yes, but if I'm the dealer I'd want to see the car to confirm your claim ... is that possible? Plus now you have fixed it?

I think legally given no CPO and no aftermarket warranty you must prove fraud/misrepresentation. The burden and standard of proof is on you, not the dealer.

Your best approach is to have a conversation with the General Manager of the dealer, and no one else. He or she is the only one who can do anything with a claim like this, but it will not be his/her first rodeo. You must be polite, direct, and given almost two years after purchase, have "overwhelming" proof of your body work claims via pictures, and reports from your body shop.

Finally, the wheels not being OEM to me suggest straight fraud/misrepresentation. Provide proof of that and at a minimum you should be compensated in full.

Good luck!

Quote:
What are your opinions?
Can I ask for compensation?
If so, how, and how much?
Is there legal ground for such claims?

Thanks!

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT

Last edited by br2wdc; 07-08-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #29
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you're correct that my sarcasm is off point, however, you waited years and 30,000 miles and to top it off you've already corrected the issue and now you want compensation?

Remember all that paperwork you signed but didn't read like most of us when you bought the car? BMW has lawyers that get paid massively to write the paperwork and most importantly to protect them. Even CPO cars car can have repairs that still qualify them to be CPO. It's a used vehicle and that's what they sold you. All that certified, CPO stuff says is that the cat meets certain requirements and I'm sure you're car meet those requirements when you bought it. Even if they are in the wrong you still can't prove that there was an issue 2 years ago.

I knew a guy who bought a rare les Paul guitar that he paid $16,000 for and a while later he found out it was a fake replica made in China and had a value of maybe $600. He tried to sue the dealer he got it from by going through the court system and totally lost because he should've know what he was paying for. I realize that's a completely different situation but the point is that as a buyer you have much more limitations.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #30
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I don't understand this "certified but not CPO" business. Can anyone explain?
      07-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #31
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you're correct that my sarcasm is off point, however, you waited years and 30,000 miles and to top it off you've already corrected the issue and now you want compensation?

Remember all that paperwork you signed but didn't read like most of us when you bought the car? BMW has lawyers that get paid massively to write the paperwork and most importantly to protect them. Even CPO cars car can have repairs that still qualify them to be CPO. It's a used vehicle and that's what they sold you. All that certified, CPO stuff says is that the cat meets certain requirements and I'm sure you're car meet those requirements when you bought it. Even if they are in the wrong you still can't prove that there was an issue 2 years ago.

I knew a guy who bought a rare les Paul guitar that he paid $16,000 for and a while later he found out it was a fake replica made in China and had a value of maybe $600. He tried to sue the dealer he got it from by going through the court system and totally lost because he should've know what he was paying for. I realize that's a completely different situation but the point is that as a buyer you have much more limitations.
I don't think you've read my OP.

I asked for maintenance & service history, I was given it over email & text, and was shown minor rock chips. The resprays were never discussed.

It's also 30,000KM, not miles.

I do realize legal footing isn't exactly strong here, but suing isn't on my mind. A simple conversation in good faith is what I'll attempt once I have time to put the car on a lift and look at the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #32
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I don't understand this "certified but not CPO" business. Can anyone explain?
In Canada, to the best of my knowledge, CPO cars are limited by build dates. I bought this car in late 2018 and it was registered in 2012, beyond the window for CPO.

Certified is a BMW dealership term that should indicate complete inspection checks and pass, new tires, brakes if needed, etc.

Very similar to CPO, but without the extended warranty and financing terms. Car was bought as a cash deal too.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #33
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think you've read my OP.

I asked for maintenance & service history, I was given it over email & text, and was shown minor rock chips. The resprays were never discussed.

It's also 30,000KM, not miles.

I do realize legal footing isn't exactly strong here, but suing isn't on my mind. A simple conversation in good faith is what I'll attempt once I have time to put the car on a lift and look at the front wheels.
A polite conversation with the dealership might get you somewhere. Worth a shot for sure. If that goes nowhere, next would be a polite conversation with BMW Canada to let them know one of their dealers sold a certified car that had undisclosed issues that a proper inspection should have identified.

Hopefully someone will step up and do the right thing. If not, you are back to where you are now. So it is worth a couple nice phone calls. Biggest advice, be polite. Honey catches more flies and all that.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...

Last edited by Scharbag; 07-08-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #34
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

So what was the end result? Anything happen?
      09-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

So, as a follow up to this.

Today I replaced the battery, removed splitters and got to work on rotors as the front right wheel got bent and warped the rotor. To my dismay, the wheels are in fact replica AG wheels made in Taiwan, as I suspected.

I will be writing to them tonight and will keep everyone posted on their responses, hopefully they can act in good faith.
Appreciate 0