BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Drivelogic and EDC (Power Button)

New to the M3 (and DCT) world, coming from a 5-speed 330Ci.

Did some searching, but just want to confirm my understanding...

1. EDC (The power button) controls the throttle response right?

2. Drivelogic (the button below the shifter) controls the transmission responsiveness? Or transmission and engine?

3. Can anyone please point me to a good post or an article that describes the 6 different drivelogic programs.

Thanks, and again I did search (and go through the manual), but couldn't find a definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

EDC controls the shocks, making it more firm or plush. The POWER Button is its own button, and that controls the responsiveness of the throttle bodies at a rate that it makes one cream their pants. At least for me, it did.

As for Drivelogic, I don't have that. Sorry.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Drivelogic = Shifting points and shifting agressiveness.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

you're all over the place, you're mixing it up

1. EDC = Electronic Damper Control , has nothing to do with power button. changes the harness of the ride when goin over bumps. In short, the system in comfort or normal mode (and in sport mode for the ZCP package) adjusts dynamically to road conditions at different shock-rate speeds to allow intended ride comfort for each level. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...r_control.html

2. Power button - In current M3 is only for throttle sensitivity only. HP does not increase, 414hp is consistent and always on tap regardless of any M3 model or option package you choose. Read this on why people choose the different settings on this: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...sport+throttle

3. Drivelogic - http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ivelogic1.html

Overall computer program that learns your driving habits in "auto" mode. It also has the feature where you can change the harshness and speed of the shifts (the buttons you're referring to). Also includes mutiple factory presets for auto and manual modes for shifting speed and harshness.

4. You want additional Drivelogic literature, here's all that you can handle:
http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/mdctinfo.PDF
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...13&postcount=9

Last edited by mdosu; 08-14-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
you're all over the place, you're mixing it up
Sorry, the manual used the term "M Engine Dynamics Control" so I incorrectly abbreviated to EDC, thanks for the correction.

Quote:
4. You want additional Drivelogic literature, here's all that you can handle:
http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/mdctinfo.PDF
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...13&postcount=9
Fantastic info, exactly what I was looking for

So...
1. The "Power" button affects the throttle response
2. The Drivelogic (button under the DCT shifter) affects shifting aggressiveness (and throttle blip in downshifts)
3. EDC (Dampening) affects the firmness/softness of the ride

Thanks for all the responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

When driving 140mph+ on the autobahn, I much prefer the EDC to be in comfort as it seems much smoother. But on a track such as the Nurburgring, I like it in Sport as it really allows you to be agressive in going into and coming out of corners.

Comfort = more body roll, but smooth sailing (best for straight stretches)

Standard = less body roll, ok on the autobahn, ok on the track

Sport = sucks at high speed on a straight stretch (too bumpy), but absolutely fabulous in the corners.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
Sorry, the manual used the term "M Engine Dynamics Control" so I incorrectly abbreviated to EDC, thanks for the correction.

Fantastic info, exactly what I was looking for

So...
1. The "Power" button affects the throttle response
2. The Drivelogic (button under the DCT shifter) affects shifting aggressiveness (and throttle blip in downshifts)
3. EDC (Dampening) affects the firmness/softness of the ride

Thanks for all the responses.
Just to clarify, Drivelogic isn't a button, it's an entire package of concepts of the DCT programming. That button is just part of the package that allows driver to adjust shift speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Just to clarify, the power button does not quicken the throttle response, but rather increases the amount of response. In other words, the time it takes for the engine to react to throttle input remains the same (regardless of Power mode), but the amount of reaction increases in sport or sport plus mode. Most prefer the power mode being in normal, as this gives the most linear amount of response, which gives finer control of the engine.

With regards to EDC, note that each setting is not fixed i.e. comfort has its own soft to stiff setting, normal has its own soft to stiff setting, and in ZCP, sport also has its own soft to stiff setting. So let's say you are in comfort mode, the damping is soft when you are on a smooth road, but upon more aggressive driving or upon hitting a bump, the damping instantly firms up based on a number of sensors around the car. For simplicity sake, you could say that the stiff setting within comfort mode would be about the soft setting of normal mode.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-14-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0