BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #23
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

any word on warranty with this????
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #24
MFlight
Let's Race
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

I'm fairly new to the BMW world so I have to ask. Why can't we upload a tune via a comm port? This is done on many other vehicles. When I added a KB supercharger to my GT500 I uploaded the custom made tune via a port using my Xcal2 hand held device. There was nothing that needed to be removed. I'm just uneasy with the fact that I would have to remove a part of the M3 and send it in the mail and hope it does not get lost, especially living in Germany. In the mean time the car would be stranded while waiting.

Thanks...
Attached Images

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFlight View Post
I'm fairly new to the BMW world so I have to ask. Why can't we upload a tune via a comm port? This is done on many other vehicles. When I added a KB supercharger to my GT500 I uploaded the custom made tune via a port using my Xcal2 hand held device. There was nothing that needed to be removed. I'm just uneasy with the fact that I would have to remove a part of the M3 and send it in the mail and hope it does not get lost, especially living in Germany. In the mean time the car would be stranded while waiting.

Thanks...
Because not all the data on the OEM computer can be accessed with a generic OBD tool. You need a special (and expensive) tool to access some of the data that is being modified.
      12-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #26
MFlight
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Because not all the data on the OEM computer can be accessed with a generic OBD tool. You need a special (and expensive) tool to access some of the data that is being modified.
I guess I have to wait until I get back to the US to have it done.

Thanks for the info.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #27
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

yeah unfortnatly it isn't as easy as that. i have the SCT for my truck too and like you said it is a breeze not to mention a friggin beast

much more complicated software etc on this from what i have read. i had Dinan do mine and love it especially after i did the catless midpipe. i didn't have to send it out anywhere they did it right there, that was another reason i chose them. if your just lookin for all out power i believe the powerchip gives more, but i wanted my warranty etc still.

Quote:

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

The tune can be uploaded via the OBD-II port. My car was tuned by AA and they only used the port to upload the tune. The problem is the companies that have the ability to tune BMWs don't wish to give us the ability to tune our own cars. I would give anything for one of the companies to step up and produce a program and programmer that would let us tune our own cars.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #29
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The tune can be uploaded via the OBD-II port. My car was tuned by AA and they only used the port to upload the tune. The problem is the companies that have the ability to tune BMWs don't wish to give us the ability to tune our own cars. I would give anything for one of the companies to step up and produce a program and programmer that would let us tune our own cars.

I agree, when I had my mazdaspeed6 I had the CP-e tuner (also have it for the 135/335)which was great for custom tunes but it was a standback so it basically tricked (manipulate) the computer... I eventually switched to the Cobb tuner because of its simplicity of 'off the shelf' tunes and it would flash the computer rather than trick it. what I really enjoyed about it was being able to switch back to the factory tune without issues. Cp-e does make a standback for the 335/135 so I think the issue is not that it cant be done, just that the tuning companies want to stay as lucrative as possible.

personally I would enjoy a cobb like tuner, where you plug it in, flash the computer, unplug it and forget about it. I would even dare to say I would pay per map in addition to the tuner.

also my car is still screaming like a raped ape. thanks again powerchips!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Why don't any of you users invest in before and after dyno runs?

Butt dynos only work for shit.

Dave
      12-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

bc some don't care and 99% of the time you post a dyno report it just gets trashed anyway bc people say they cheated they did this they did that and if that is true then the numbers work for shit just like a butt dyno as you put it

me personally i am one that doesn't care about a number report. i did my mods one at a time and i was able to feel the difference from each one and some gave more then others. my midpipe gave amazing gains compared to the rest i did and my butt dyno worked quite well for me actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Why don't any of you users invest in before and after dyno runs?

Butt dynos only work for shit.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Think of others. Dyno reports are valid, so long as the dyno used and methodology are consistant.

Coming on here and raving about what your butt told you is pretty useless information. Your judgement seems better than the average forum participant, but many here put out bogus info unintentionally. When objective data is available at reasonable cost, I think that we should at least consider availing ourselves.

Dave
      12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
MFlight
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
So the tune can be uploaded through the OBD-II port? So in a sense, they are only having you remove the module and send it through the mail just so that their tune won't fall into the wrong hands.

The handheld computer can be locked to your individual car which prevents a person from using it elsewhere. The tune itself can also be locked as to prevent any manipulation and/or unauthorized use.

I think they should sell the tune with a handheld. This way it would be easy to get updates just in case there are issues with the A/F, timing, etc. The handheld would also be perfect to have to read any codes that might occur.

I guess BMW and the Tuners wants us to be completely dependent upon them.

Just a thought...

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #34
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
So the tune can be uploaded through the OBD-II port? So in a sense, they are only having you remove the module and send it through the mail just so that their tune won't fall into the wrong hands.

The handheld computer can be locked to your individual car which prevents a person from using it elsewhere. The tune itself can also be locked as to prevent any manipulation and/or unauthorized use.

I think they should sell the tune with a handheld. This way it would be easy to get updates just in case there are issues with the A/F, timing, etc. The handheld would also be perfect to have to read any codes that might occur.

Just a thought...
Depending on who you deal with, you don't have to send off your ECU or go into the tuner. Some (like Powerchip) will send you the flashing equipment.

I think the main issue is you are selling into a luxury car brand that as such has different types of customers with different types of needs. I honestly think the US is really the only market where anything like what the Cobb AccessPort does for Subaru might succeed, even then, I think it would be a struggle.

I think another issue is most, if not all, of the tuners don't actually have an in depth knowledge of the OBDII/CAN interface to the car. This is probably only well understood by a handful of European companies, so lots of R&D, possible patent infringements etc to deal with....add to that a hand held tuner that needs to compete against other software-only tunes likely means lower margins, I just don't think it stacks up...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh i def agree with you there about people just spouting out bogus info and some don't even have the product or part and will say something about it for whatever reason

i guess in my case i should have done one from the beg and then one each time but i didn't so i kept saying ah next time etc. now i am to the point where i don't care anymore. but to others starting out with mods yes it is a good tool as long as it is done right like you said

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Think of others. Dyno reports are valid, so long as the dyno used and methodology are consistant.

Coming on here and raving about what your butt told you is pretty useless information. Your judgement seems better than the average forum participant, but many here put out bogus info unintentionally. When objective data is available at reasonable cost, I think that we should at least consider availing ourselves.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that is how they do the Dinan software. they put it in my car right there at the shop. it puts your car in there system so if the dealer ever flashes it off (which has happened to me many times when at the dealer) Dinan puts it back in for you for free. good thing for me the dealer and the dinan place are only 15 min apart from each other lol

some you send out the ECU like AA etc. there are some other ways too, just depends on who you go with

Quote:

Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Some dynos of powerchip vs dinan flashes would be nice. Also does powerchip get rid of the CEL running no cats triggers?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #38
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
Some dynos of powerchip vs dinan flashes would be nice. Also does powerchip get rid of the CEL running no cats triggers?
I do not have any DINAN vs PC charts, but can give you the info of a few customers of mine that switched and you can ask them what they think.

I used to have DINAN Stage I ECU software on my E60 M5.

We can remove the check engine light at the customers request.

Our flashes are through the OBD II port and program both sides of the ECU. Our flash kits are said to be released shortly, and will allow the customer to purchase a cable and use their laptop to upload our tune into their car. Although these are supposed to arrive soon, I am not sure exactly when.

Depending on the car and ECU family, it may require a replacement chip or chips or it may allow an OBD II program. Sometimes a BDM program is the only way to do it - this procedure is a bit more in-depth than the other two. In the case of the M3, the OBD II flash is the best way to go on the E46 and E9X models.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
srobmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Just did a Powerchip flash last night. I only got a chance to go for a quick run afterwords, but, damn, this is good shit..
      12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobmw View Post
Just did a Powerchip flash last night. I only got a chance to go for a quick run afterwords, but, damn, this is good shit..
Represent!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #41
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

does the check engine light work for the rest of the car if there is a problem like the Dinan or does it remove it entirely??

the laptop upload will be great. i use that now for my race bike to upload maps. the tool was expensive though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
I do not have any DINAN vs PC charts, but can give you the info of a few customers of mine that switched and you can ask them what they think.

Our flashes are through the OBD II port and program both sides of the ECU. Our flash kits are said to be released shortly, and will allow the customer to purchase a cable and use their laptop to upload our tune into their car. Although these are supposed to arrive soon, I am not sure exactly when.

Depending on the car and ECU family, it may require a replacement chip or chips or it may allow an OBD II program. Sometimes a BDM program is the only way to do it - this procedure is a bit more in-depth than the other two. In the case of the M3, the OBD II flash is the best way to go on the E46 and E9X models.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #42
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
does the check engine light work for the rest of the car if there is a problem like the Dinan or does it remove it entirely??

the laptop upload will be great. i use that now for my race bike to upload maps. the tool was expensive though
The light is removed ONLY for Catalyst Efficiency. Any other fault that's present (including issues with the PRE cat 02 sensors) will log a fault and trigger the SES light. We would never jeopardize the safety of the car by removing the light completely. Only the code related to catalyst monitoring is modified.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #43
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

sweet good to know, i will let my friend know who asked me. thanks for the info

H

Quote:
The light is removed ONLY for Catalyst Efficiency. Any other fault that's present (including issues with the PRE cat 02 sensors) will log a fault and trigger the SES light. We would never jeopardize the safety of the car by removing the light completely. Only the code related to catalyst monitoring is modified.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #44
MFlight
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I like being able to upload a tune through the OBII port, especially if we only need to get an approrpiate cable and use the Latop. This way we could datalog if necessary and send the information back for analysis. I used to do this all the time with my GT500. Lund racing would send me a tune. I would upload it to the Shelby then do a couple of runs while datalogging. After sending the info back he could then adjust the A/F and timing accordingly. The potential is there.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0