BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Rode in a GTR on the track....

HOLY GRIP BATMAN!!!

I was at the Glen this weekend and got an opportunity to ride with my instructor in his GTR for a 30 minute session. I was blown away by the levels of grip through the corners. The car shifts its weight through the corners like one that weighs thousands of pounds less. While I was not driving the car, I was pleasantly surprised by how balanced the car was through the corners without excess understeer or oversteer. The pace is just mind blowing. By the end of the S section, my instruction was pushing 150 and the car was still pulling strong.

I was driving my M3 at the track as well and while my abilities are nowhere near that of my instructor's, from the cockpit, the M3 felt a bit more raw, almost as if it was easier to make a mistake. The GTR felt like it was on rails.

To put it simply, in many ways the GTR defies some physics and standards for performance for cars in its price segment. I always had immense respect for the car and came away with my sentiments validated and then some.

That said, would I trade my M3 in for a GTR? I don't think so. My driving abilities wouldn't justify the improved performance and I believe the higher possibilities of making mistakes in the M3 will make me a better track driver than the GTR will.

However, if I could afford it would I get one? Yes! The straight line speed, the mind blowingly quick transmission, and the rationale defying levels of grip easily warrant a space in my garage.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it, mate. Sounds like you had a blast! And yes, the GT-R is a monster... and I agree, it is basically bullet proof. Catch you next time on the track.
No worries at all man, it was a gorgeous day for the track. We will definitely hit it again.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

GTR is obviously a good car, but if the instructor is driving, that makes a huge difference in any car as well. Just my 2 cents.
      10-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
GTR is obviously a good car, but if the instructor is driving, that makes a huge difference in any car as well. Just my 2 cents.
My reference point comes from the instructor driving my car as well. He drove my car for almost an entire session as well so that I could learn a bit from the passenger's seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Calamity
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Lucky lucky man. Wish I could get behind the wheel of one of these
Appreciate 0