BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

Mporium BMW

12-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #23
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangzta View Post
I would just like to give my opinion as well on BPM's (Mike's) tune for the e9x platform.
I recently purchased both the engine (stage 1) and DCT tunes for my car, and LOVE THEM!

For context, my car is a 2009 e90 M3 and basically stock. Only engine modifications are an AFE drop in filter and a Supersprint axle back exhaust. Super basic.

I was/am generally pretty happy with the car overall prior to the tunes, no major complaints. Of course we always want more power, but if anything my only complaints were related to drivability: the 3-2 DCT downshift being clunky coming to a stop, slow R engagement, general random slugishness in shifting (ESPECIALLY in automatic shifting mode), etc. Like any car that any of us have ever owned, we learn to drive AROUND certain bad habits that our cars have and get the most from them. BUT OOOOOOOH man, Mike's tune really woke this car up and got the tranny in order, really really.

First off, it's DEFINITELY making a bit more power. I know the whole argument about butt-dynos and subjective bullshit, yeah yeah and I agree, but it's making more power no doubt. I am breaking traction at speeds and in gears that I normally dont, and finding the car just generally having a MUCH easier time going through the rev range. I honestly wasn't expecting to really be gaining much power if any from the tune (particularly because I was still staying stage 1 with the stock cats), just given how high strung our cars are from factory and being naturally aspirated, but it definitely feels really good all around and more powerful (the extra low end grunt is really convenient). Even when you're not loading the engine, you can tell it's just running smoother and feels more "connected."
In regards to the engine tune, the standout feature for me is the revised throttle profiles. I always wished our throttle was just more responsive across the board, while being more aggressive when I want it to be like in power-mode, but also even LESS aggressive when in normal settings, which it is all of those things now. But most importantly is that the engine and throttle are now so much more linear, in all modes/settings. I hated using sport + before for my M mode, because the throttle would be so twitchy that it was a nuisance during cornering situations, but now it's truly linear in feeling which gives the car some much needed predictability when you're trying to run in aggressive power settings and do some tracking/canyon running.

For me though I really really am equally as excited by the DCT tune as I am from the engine tune. The DCT is a great transmission but has a few weird tendencies that you notice especially if you daily drive the car like shifting behaviors and lag.
The tune COMPLETELY changed the way this transmission feels, night and day difference. In automatic shifting mode, the transmission is SO much more responsive AND also smoother than it was before, both off the line and in terms of shifting. In aggressive manual modes, this thing is so crisp now and the increased shift aggressiveness in higher modes is honestly pretty great. It's so engaging and shifts so hard lol, the car almost feels like it lunges forward now at every upshift.

I am so used to doing little things to get around characteristics of our car that I didn't like, such as going into manual mode (when in auto) to downshift gears at certain times to AVOID clunking when coming to a stop, or NOT even using the throttle setting in "power mode" when canyon driving or tracking just because the throttle response was so freaking touchy and NOT linear that it became almost dangerous fast situations... NO MORE.

If ANY of you guys is like me, sitting on the fence for 3 years about whether or not to tune, just do it. It honestly has transformed the car, giving it that tiny bit of more pep that we urge for, but more than anything has eliminated nearly all of the car's bad habits/behaviors.
I really gotta say for all you DCT guys out there, if I had to do just one tune and not both, i'd choose the transmission tune. It's literally almost as smooth as a torque converter tranny now, but even more crazy when in higher settings, it's great. I can't get enough of it, it feels like the tranny really listens to you now if that makes sense.
And also if you were like me, hesitating on the tune because you can't decide if you wanna go catless or not, just do what makes you comfortable and get the tune anyways. With stage 2 you'll make great power, it's much faster (i've had the chance to drive a couple stage 2 M3's) but even with stage 1 you're getting enough to really feel it and enjoy driving the car again, with all the drivability and response improvements too.

10/10 Review from me, and Mike was very helpful and accessible throughout the process as well. Definitely recommend the product, and thank you for helping me to re-discover my love for this car Mike
Love the thoroughness of your reviews, ensuring coverage across all the BPM threads

Agreed, Mike's work is outstanding!