BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-12-2021, 02:50 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Ground Control Camber Plates

I recently installed ground control camber plates (street) on stock zcp suspension. Only took the car out a handful of times since the install. No odd or new noise whatsoever until today.

After a long drive this morning, the car was fully warmed up, I heard a few clicking sound, kinda like a clunk, when I was turning the wheel while stationary. No noise when the car was moving, even at low speed. Took the car out again at night when it was much cooler out, no noise whatsoever, even while stationary.

Is this normal? I don’t mind the noise, as long as it is normal. I kind of expected there will be some added noise, even though ground control claims their street camber plates don’t make noise.

Also dumb question:
To change the camber, I just need to jack the car up and loosen the three strut nuts right? Then tilt to the desire angle and tighten the 3 nuts back up. What’s the torque value for the 3 strut nuts or just snug?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
I recently installed ground control camber plates (street) on stock zcp suspension. Only took the car out a handful of times since the install. No odd or new noise whatsoever until today.

After a long drive this morning, the car was fully warmed up, I heard a few clicking sound, kinda like a clunk, when I was turning the wheel while stationary. No noise when the car was moving, even at low speed. Took the car out again at night when it was much cooler out, no noise whatsoever, even while stationary.

Is this normal? I don't mind the noise, as long as it is normal. I kind of expected there will be some added noise, even though ground control claims their street camber plates don't make noise.

Also dumb question:
To change the camber, I just need to jack the car up and loosen the three strut nuts right? Then tilt to the desire angle and tighten the 3 nuts back up. What's the torque value for the 3 strut nuts or just snug?
Yes they make noises, could be Springs binding or the bearing. Just double check everything is tight.

18 lbs, don't over torque as they can break around 30 lbs.
      04-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some settling occurs.
      04-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Yes they make noises, could be Springs binding or the bearing. Just double check everything is tight.

18 lbs, don't over torque as they can break around 30 lbs.
Can I just tighten the center strut nut from the top? Or do I need to hold the strut in place so it doesn't spin?

I took the car out again yesterday and heard the same noise. When the car is cold, no noise whatsoever. Once everything is nice and hot, then the noise is back. Wouldn't the noise always be there if something isn't tight?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Update:

Just spoke to the shop who did the install. They assured me everything was torqued to spec and that some spring binding noise do occur on some setup. However, they asked me to bring the car by and they'll put it on the hoist to check everything over again.

So all good for now. I'll stop by next week for them to have a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Update #2:

Just came back from the shop. They double checked the install and everything is torqued to spec. Found nothing wrong. Everything is in good shape. They said it is normal to have a bit of play on the bearing in the camber plate, and they are certain that is what making the noise. It'll likely go away a bit once everything settles in. After all I only put like 200km on the car since the initial install.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

you should be fine. Put in GC plates earlier this year and was making noise under many different conditions. 1000 miles later most are gone. you need to give it some time
MaximusB1393.50
      04-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I find it weird that they are noisy when new when everything is supposed to be solid. If anything, they shd make noise as they wear.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      04-27-2021, 10:31 PM   #9
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have GC plates in my F30, they make noise especially when you are cruising or doing parking lot maneuvers. They love to creak and buzz (esp when cruising). It's gotten a bit more noticeable as time and settling occurs. I would not put them in a street car, I drove daily. Weekend warrior I could settle for.
Appreciate 1
a5m612.50
      04-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The Dinan non adjustable camber plates are the best for a street car that occasionally goes to the track. They give -2.5 degrees of camber with zero noise as it is a solid piece of metal and use the stock upper mount.