BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #23
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
I am not sure, but yeah those numbers seems little off. I have been told this will be 1:1 swap from e9x lenses.
They are the experts, looking forward to the results. I finalized spacing and focus today. Quick shot at 75ft, good color but I’ll have to drive a bit to confirm.
Attached Images

09-15-2020, 02:51 AM   #24
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
They are the experts, looking forward to the results. I finalized spacing and focus today. Quick shot at 75ft, good color but I'll have to drive a bit to confirm.
Bubbles can you show me exactly where you shaved your lens holder? I have having the same issue as you where the lens is just barely too big in diameter and is not flush with the holder. I have already shaved some of the inside but it is not enough. Thank you!

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #25
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadenick View Post
Bubbles can you show me exactly where you shaved your lens holder? I have having the same issue as you where the lens is just barely too big in diameter and is not flush with the holder. I have already shaved some of the inside but it is not enough. Thank you!

I took down the high points around the lens holder up to the metal fold tabs to get the diameter close enough. Also trimmed the the notch bump that lines up with the lens notch (highlighted in yellow) otherwise the lens will not sit flush. Keep in mind, slow and steady otherwise you’ll punch a hole through the metal.

To minimize light bleed, you may have to rotate the lens some.
Attached Images

09-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #26
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

Quote:
I took down the high points around the lens holder up to the metal fold tabs to get the diameter close enough. Also trimmed the the notch bump that lines up with the lens notch (highlighted in yellow) otherwise the lens will not sit flush. Keep in mind, slow and steady otherwise you’ll punch a hole through the metal.

To minimize light bleed, you may have to rotate the lens some.
that is weird my zkw-r fit just fine, but i haven't tested the cut off yet, will test and revert
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #27
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

I’ll post more info soon but I switched to an OEM ZKW lens and the fit is significantly better, the lens has a bifocal line that is oriented near the top of the lens. I believe this limits the foreground lighting improving visibility. Cutoff line is crisper as well, although I do appreciate the squirrel finder included with the stock unit.

ZKW OEM lens (top pic) nearly identical to stock lens sizing.

ZKW-R lens (second pic) larger than stock diameter

ZKW OEM bifocal pictures
Attached Images

09-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #28
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Nice, it has been almost 5 years since i have done, because of that i am about to get full carbon set from my buddy bavgruppe to redone the headlights for fresh look. My lenses are in brandnew shape due to low mileage and laminx clear protectors, so what i found out is BavGruppe actually now providing a lens made for e9x . ZKWR s made for e46 which i am running currently.

I will remove the single washers i have installed on each leg and will use this . This should solve the problem as well.

I did more testing comparing the stock lens, ZKW-R clear lens and OEM ZKW clear lens. Based on output, I’ll be pulling the ZKW-R clear lens out and replacing with OEM ZKW clear lens. While the zkw-r provided a very crisp cutoff, the OEM ZKW clear lens was superior (based on my preference) for night driving performance by providing more visibility while not blinding other drivers.

I initially removed the RV shield but felt the performance suffered so I plan to keep the RV shield intact to keep uplighting for street signage.

Comparison shots with the same projector, bulb and cutoff with RV shield intact @ 70 ft

Top: Stock
Middle: ZKW-R
Bottom: ZKW OEM
Attached Images

09-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #29
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

^ Wow! I had BayOptics rebuild my lights with ZKWrs and Osram CBIs and I love them (did the same thing on my E46 years ago) but didn't know the OE ZKWs were another step up for in-fill (ZKW-R having a modestly sharper cutoff). How much are those? Not that I'll tear apart these lights again to swap, just curious.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 12:26 AM   #30
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
^ Wow! I had BayOptics rebuild my lights with ZKWrs and Osram CBIs and I love them (did the same thing on my E46 years ago) but didn't know the OE ZKWs were another step up for in-fill (ZKW-R having a modestly sharper cutoff). How much are those? Not that I'll tear apart these lights again to swap, just curious.
You have to find them at salvage yards or eBay look for zkw labeled BMW headlights used for 330 sedans 2001-2005. BMW used several manufactures like Bosch headlights and AL. ZKW headlights have a white label not yellow (Bosch). I pulled apart 80$ of working headlights to extract the clear zkw lens. Look for the infamous ZKW burnt bowls.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 09-30-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
SaNGRia984.50
      09-30-2020, 02:52 AM   #31
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Oh, wow. Well I love your commitment and information! Even with "just" ZKW-Rs and CBIs, the headlights are a serious upgrade. Too bad the work is so involved compared to on the E46s. After the same upgrades on my E46, the stock E9x headlights were unacceptable.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 01:28 AM   #32
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Oh, wow. Well I love your commitment and information! Even with "just" ZKW-Rs and CBIs, the headlights are a serious upgrade. Too bad the work is so involved compared to on the E46s. After the same upgrades on my E46, the stock E9x headlights were unacceptable.
The zkw-r seem to work for a lot of people, but I could not get the output I wanted. Pro lighting shops do have the tuning experience with the lens.

I ended up using projector bowls from a donor X5, zkw OEM lens and an ece cutoff shield. It’s all preference after meeting safety specs. Very happy with the result.

Last edited by Bubbles; 10-03-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #33
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Ah, makes sense. Perhaps I am so pleased with the ZKW-Rs is because BayOptics did the work and wizardry tuning. I'd post pictures but the quality isn't nearly comparable to yours. What's your bulb of choice? I also love the CBIs matched with the lenses.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #34
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Ah, makes sense. Perhaps I am so pleased with the ZKW-Rs is because BayOptics did the work and wizardry tuning. I'd post pictures but the quality isn't nearly comparable to yours. What's your bulb of choice? I also love the CBIs matched with the lenses.

Ran osram night breakers for a year, great output slightly more yellow than stock but terrific distance. Maybe the best bulb on an empty road as far as visibility distance and very easy on your eyes. All go no show.

Tested osrams cool blue boost, which is more white than blue (a good thing). Good distance but the more bluish white is not as comfortable on the eyes. This bulb provides the best blue cutoff (if that’s your goal). Plenty of show and decent go.

Currently running Phillips Extreme Vision which was the same brand as the stock bulbs I took out. The bulb is still going through a burn in, but the output is whiter than stock and osrams night breakers, distance seems to be slightly less than the nighbreakers but the intensity is better all around. Easy on the eyes with less yellow than the night breakers. My track buddies swear by Phillips for endurance events and I am beginning to understand why.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 10-04-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2020, 12:30 AM   #35
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

I used this one in 2016. Love it. (Same one from Ebay)
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 10-13-2020 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #36
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Not an easy fit, but the results are coming together. Osram CBB bottom Vs Phillips top Xtreme vision.

A lot of grinding to keep optic visibility at 75-100 ft with a clean cut off.

Ended up building a bench power supply to run power for tuning. Both projector bowls exhibited blue hot spots so I replaced with buying damaged headlights from salvage yards, two out of the five I pulled were in good shape.
I need help getting salvageable parts too
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #37
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I used this one in 2016. Love it. (Same one from Ebay)
Done. Output exceeds what I was expecting, the light throw is terrific to the DOT specs.
Attached Images

09-18-2022, 08:29 AM   #38
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Where are you guys purchasing the ZKW clear oem lenses? I only see the R online. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #39
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Where are you guys purchasing the ZKW clear oem lenses? I only see the R online. Thanks!
i got it from bavgruppedesigns.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1