BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #661
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
Thanks for your replys.
Yours looks a little better than mine originally did. I cut mine up and reduced the angle. Unfortunately it lifted slightly and now is too close to the top, which cuts the top of the screen off.
I don't know how they are IP68/67 rated! The CCD circuit board is held in position on the lens with a dob of silicon, and in turn held in the housing with a dob of silicon.
I think I will try another one (maybe a different brand) and see if I can improve it.

Buy the way I fitted an INDUKTIV Wireless Charger. Very, very pleased!
An update on my rear view camera.

I originally purchase and installed this camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE7NQH6/
It is certainly not waterproof with only a few drops of silicon to seal the unit.
It's claim to fame is it has the the narrow connector and is easily fed through trunk rubber tube, but the image parking lines points too close to the ground.

I purchased a replacement camera (cyberdemon): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3NV68D..._ztn9FbZA689DG
I'm very happy with this camera, better resolution and is waterproofed properly in a pot of silicon like material.
Unfortunately the camera image parking lines also points too close to the ground and unlike the camera above, it has a wide connector (hard to get through the trunk rubber tube).
I re-ran the cable and had to keep the big video connector and line switch in the trunk. No big deal.

Using a Dremel, I worked out by trial and error I could cut a narrow slot in the camera housing which repositioned the camera angle up.
This left a wedge shaped gap between the camera and the trunk housing.
I used some butyl windscreen sealant and was able to able to seal the camera to the trunk.

The camera lines are much better now - not quite as good as the factory fitted cameras in my other cars, but OK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #662
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Old Carsara and New Carsara AUX input.

I'm trying to understand how the audio from the Carsara is moved around the vehicle. Any clarification or corrections would be appreciated.

Old Carsara
1. Carsara audio out is fed into the AUX input in the centre console via a 3.5mm plug. From there it doesn't appear to go to the quadlock connector.
Does the AUX input in the centre console feed directly to amplifiers in the rear of the vehicle in ANALOG. ie. Not through the CIC Headunit?

2. Looking at the information supplied by Cyberdemon, an improved audio sound can the achieved by directing the Carsara audio output to the CIC Headunit using:
CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

I am assuming the audio out of the Old Carsara is ANALOG and is directed through the quadlock connector into the CIC Headunit. ?? (Possibly the same way SocialM3 is using for the New Carsara)
From there, it is DIGITISED ?? and streamed over the MOST fibre bus to the rear of the vehicle where it is amplified and fed to the speakers ??

New Carsara
The new Carsara does not have a quadlock connector, and only has an ANALOG output which is fed into the centre AUX connector via a 3.5mm plug as in the first example above.

SocialM3 in post #551 shows how 3.5mm socket can be connected via the quadlock connector to CIC Headunit and programmed as in the second example above.
If this is the case, would this improve the sound quality of the New Carsara and effectively make it similar to the second example of the Old Carsara ??

I have purchased a plug and connector similar to what SocialM3 did and are ready to pull the dash to bits again and fit an input to the quadlock connector. Will it be worth it ??

Looking at Mr12Volt, I guess the DIGITISED audio would be streamed directly onto the MOST fibre bus, keeping the audio digitised all the way ??

Thanks for any help and clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #663
drwankel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Looking at Mr12Volt, I guess the DIGITISED audio would be streamed directly onto the MOST fibre bus, keeping the audio digitised all the way ??

Thanks for any help and clarification.
yes that is the beauty of it. No extra DAC in the mix. Digital all the way to the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #664
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your replys.
Yours looks a little better than mine originally did. I cut mine up and reduced the angle. Unfortunately it lifted slightly and now is too close to the top, which cuts the top of the screen off.
I don't know how they are IP68/67 rated! The CCD circuit board is held in position on the lens with a dob of silicon, and in turn held in the housing with a dob of silicon.
I think I will try another one (maybe a different brand) and see if I can improve it.

Buy the way I fitted an INDUKTIV Wireless Charger. Very, very pleased!
An update on my rear view camera.

I originally purchase and installed this camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE7NQH6/
It is certainly not waterproof with only a few drops of silicon to seal the unit.
It's claim to fame is it has the the narrow connector and is easily fed through trunk rubber tube, but the image parking lines points too close to the ground.

I purchased a replacement camera (cyberdemon): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3NV68D..._ztn9FbZA689DG
I'm very happy with this camera, better resolution and is waterproofed properly in a pot of silicon like material.
Unfortunately the camera image parking lines also points too close to the ground and unlike the camera above, it has a wide connector (hard to get through the trunk rubber tube).
I re-ran the cable and had to keep the big video connector and line switch in the trunk. No big deal.

Using a Dremel, I worked out by trial and error I could cut a narrow slot in the camera housing which repositioned the camera angle up.
This left a wedge shaped gap between the camera and the trunk housing.
I used some butyl windscreen sealant and was able to able to seal the camera to the trunk.

The camera lines are much better now - not quite as good as the factory fitted cameras in my other cars, but OK.
That angle does look much better. Strange that in the Amazon pictures it shows the small connector, same as the first camera, but in your pictures it appears to use a full size RCA.
      10-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #665
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
That angle does look much better. Strange that in the Amazon pictures it shows the small connector, same as the first camera, but in your pictures it appears to use a full size RCA.
It has a small connector on the cable from the camera to the guide line switch (on the left), but this cable is not long enough to get through the rubber tube into the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #666
Bungers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 M6, E91 335d

Glovebox USB

Anyone know if the glovebox USB should stop functioning after fitting this?

Trying to update the CIC's maps and it's not recognising a map file on the USB, nor the 1B script on a separate USB stick (both drives flash when plugged in).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:23 AM   #667
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungers View Post

Trying to update the CIC's maps and it's not recognising a map file on the USB, nor the 1B script on a separate USB stick (both drives flash when plugged in).
I'm not sure if the Carsara bypasses the USB, but you cannot code the CIC with the Carsara plugged in.
See post 641 on how to bypass the Carsara and try USB again.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #668
Bungers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 M6, E91 335d

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Carsara bypasses the USB, but you cannot code the CIC with the Carsara plugged in.
See post 641 on how to bypass the Carsara and try USB again.
Good luck.
Thanks, turns out that having the Carsara installed doesn't interfere with the glovebox USB port comms with the CIC.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #669
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Anyone figured out how to use oem mic with new box
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #670
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have an older carsara box for sale, the one with the quadlock connector.
Brand new in box, didn't install it.

I went with the Mr12Volt instead.

PM if interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #671
Hivand_M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Does anyone know how I can fix below issue?:

My phone connects to the box right when I unlock my car, or if i'm walking by and my door is open but headunit has been off for some time. This is very annoying and the only flaw for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #672
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivand_M View Post
Does anyone know how I can fix below issue?:

My phone connects to the box right when I unlock my car, or if i'm walking by and my door is open but headunit has been off for some time. This is very annoying and the only flaw for me.
Unfortunately as long as the car has power your phone will want to Bluetooth to it. I just recommend locking your door because that'll stop extra drain on the battery anyway. The iPhone has a quick setting to disconnect from Bluetooth temporarily if that helps.
      11-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #673
mike5124
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungers View Post

Is the flash drive formatted to FAT32?
Appreciate 0