BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #617
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
This alone fixed it!! THANK YOU!

Would have been a painless and straightforward install if not for the dipswitches. I'll reply to this and if there is interest a new thread might be useful as pointed out previously. The seller has been communicative in responding to me on eBay although his suggestions weren't needed in the end - so that's a plus for customer service.

- The box is very very fast

- I actually had wireless Android Auto running with no drama (first time ever, as it never ran as it was supposed to on the Carsara box) but this is a little bit buggy thanks to my Huawei phone more than the box I think (it's not a fully approved wireless AA phone)

- Wired Android Auto works very well

- I used the Carsara mic splitter from my previous box and that works very well with the OEM mic - I can say "Hey Google" and dictate messages, ask it to call people, check messages etc. (although it defaults back to the stock system when asked to make call in Android Auto).

- The standalone bluetooth player is also nice and responsive

- And yes.... the sound quality is VEEEERY good! Although my version doesn't seem to have any Eq. settings?? (probably doesn't them to be fair).

Overall a very nice upgrade, I'm a happy customer despite the slightly off instructions. For those without a Combox this will blow your mind. For those with a Carsara unit - is this worth the upgrade price? If you have a high tier stock or aftermarket system and sound quality is important while using AA or Carplay, yes definitely.
WOOOOOOT!

I’m glad I get to geek out with someone about it because the sound quality is SMACK YO MOMMA GOOD! Im actually sitting in my car right now, wireless CarPlay is streaming lossless to the Individual sound system and it just makes me want to cry happy tears! It sounds too good to believe!

Like they said, if you have a high quality audio system like Individual DIRAC or a custom setup, this is the best upgrade you will have ever given your car. I don’t think I’ve heard anything sound this good from any source, even wired USB to combox. It’s better.

No, it doesn’t have an EQ, but it does not need it whatsoever. That is actually a great thing, because EQs work by distorting the audio signal. You don’t wanna mess up that fully digital, baby! I swear this is going to make me go deaf.

Did you also notice the cool flow affects of the graphics when you first boot it up? It reminds me of the MacOS GUI effects. And completely lag-free. I have a feeling they put in a larger-than-necessary processor and RAM just so it wouldn’t feel cheap.

Nothing about this system feels cheap. I would’ve paid double what I paid, to be completely honest. I won’t be surprised to see this box go up to $400 or $500. It’s that good.

Oh, I got the password for the advanced settings from the manufacturer. The password is “688612”. I wouldn’t mess with many settings in here, but there’s a few useful ones. For example, you can change the boot loader logo from the rainbow Mr12Bolt logo to your car brand’s logo! It has about 50 different brands in there! Now mine shows the BMW roundel instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #618
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
That's my question as well. Definitely want to use the OEM mic and am not sure where we can get the splitter cable independently. They really ought to consider including it.
So, that splitter cable is impossible to find. I scoured AliExpress and eBay for hours trying to find one. No luck.

I was able to convince my carsara vendor to sell me an extra one, though. Just got it today. I’m planning on selling the carsara box, so I needed all the parts. I can reach out to my carsara vendor and see if he will let me buy a few more if you guys want me to? Let me know. They’re $30 a piece.

Appreciate 1
S55_M376.50
      08-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #619
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi guys. I think I'm owner #3 of the 12volt unit.

Hopefully I have time this weekend to install it.

Great work so far, the mic situation is the only thing lacking it seems with this unit. But I'd take audio quality over that any day. Can't wait to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #620
Msidhu1
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 IB DCT

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
That's my question as well. Definitely want to use the OEM mic and am not sure where we can get the splitter cable independently. They really ought to consider including it.
So, that splitter cable is impossible to find. I scoured AliExpress and eBay for hours trying to find one. No luck.

I was able to convince my carsara vendor to sell me an extra one, though. Just got it today. I'm planning on selling the carsara box, so I needed all the parts. I can reach out to my carsara vendor and see if he will let me buy a few more if you guys want me to? Let me know. They're $30 a piece.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/cXgkgrR/4-DDF763-F-...-B96417-BA.jpg[/IMG]
Count me in to purchase a splitter. Ordered my unit yesterday and delivery is expected in October.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 10:24 PM   #621
danielm4653
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:

I was able to convince my carsara vendor to sell me an extra one, though. Just got it today. I’m planning on selling the carsara box, so I needed all the parts. I can reach out to my carsara vendor and see if he will let me buy a few more if you guys want me to? Let me know. They’re $30 a piece.

When you end up selling that Carsara box I'd be interested in purchasing it.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:49 AM   #622
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
I was perusing through some German BMW forums and discovered my issue with the individual audio system isn’t that uncommon. Many folks over in Deutschland suggested adding an amp to power the individual audio subs. I think I may give that a try, as I have an extra one lying around.

Also, I just ordered this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr12volt-M-...-127632-2357-0

It’s a new CarPlay box with built-in MOST connection. Looks promising.
Nice job with the Mr12Volt - Looks great.
I installed the updated Carsara - I'm happy with the features, even through the AUX.
I got a reverse camera for my setup, but it points too low to the ground!
I noticed yours, can you post me the link?
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #623
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:

Definitely interested in getting another cable. Will shoot you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #624
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

One thing I would love better pictures of with the MR12volt unit is where folks are physically mounting it. The install video completely skips that part.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #625
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to mention, do not change the DIP switches. Leave them ALL off. The instructions are wrong. The only DIP switch you might need to change is the one for E/F series, depending on if any of you has an F-chassis car. Upon digging through the developer menu, I learned this box automatically senses your display’s resolution and aspect ratio and will auto-adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
This alone fixed it!! THANK YOU!
Can you clarify which way is off? All down or all up? I tried both I think.

Cic controller works but I am not getting the CD changer to show up even after removing the connectors like mentioned before.

I haven't coded the CD changer yet. If I can't get it to work I guess I'll do that.

But holding down the menu doesn't take me to the 12volt UI. I just see the CIC UI. When I remove the LDVS cables the screen does go blank so that should be connected fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #626
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Got it working.

As soon as I coded CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc everything connected and started to work.

So I think that is a big mistake from 12Volt. They probably tested on a CD changer car and assumed it works the same on all cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #627
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Got it working.

As soon as I coded CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc everything connected and started to work.

So I think that is a big mistake from 12Volt. They probably tested on a CD changer car and assumed it works the same on all cars.
Has anyone received any firmware updates from the seller?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #628
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Got it working.

Exactly my experience, changing the dip switches to all off AND coding to activate the CD changer activated it. I was actually given advice to uncode the mp3_cdc line while I was troubleshooting!

A few things I wish they would fix having used it for a day or two and then it's perfect would be:

- to allow users to toggle between the CIC interface and the 12 Volt interface. At the moment, you get a 20 second window unless you switch to a different source, which is ultra aggressive

- for some reason while using Android Auto, if you go into reverse it doesn't swith to the reversing screen automatically. So have to come out of it into the stock system and then be faced with the 20 second timeout before it goes back to the Android Auto interface. Not deal breakers and I'm sure a software update could fix this.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #629
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Has anyone received any firmware updates from the seller?
Not yet, but I was told I would be sent a new beta version soon. I've also made some minor life quality improvement suggestions to them.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      08-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #630
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Created a separate thread for the Mr12Volt unit: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...3#post27949003

Let's continue that discussion over there.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #631
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm4653 View Post
When you end up selling that Carsara box I'd be interested in purchasing it.

Thanks,
You got it! Send me an email

rlitt636@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #632
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I can share some notes for the 6MT install.

I installed this camera and am happy with the quality, price, and ease of install (connector size):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE7NQH6/
I suspect there is not much, if any, difference between something like this an an "HD" camera given the CIC screen resolution, but have not compared cameras directly to say for sure.
Hi purchased one of the cameras. Everything worked well - easy to route through car due to small connector.
However, when installed, reverse selected, I noticed the camera points too close to the ground. All the lines on the screen finish about 1 - 2 metres behind the car. If I put a block of wood about 3 inches high under the open trunk, I feel this is about the correct angle position for the camera lens.
Did you have any issues like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #633
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
Quote:

I installed this camera and am happy with the quality, price, and ease of install (connector size):
I suspect there is not much, if any, difference between something like this an an "HD" camera given the CIC screen resolution, but have not compared cameras directly to say for sure.
Hi purchased one of the cameras. Everything worked well - easy to route through car due to small connector.
However, when installed, reverse selected, I noticed the camera points too close to the ground. All the lines on the screen finish about 1 - 2 metres behind the car. If I put a block of wood about 3 inches high under the open trunk, I feel this is about the correct angle position for the camera lens.
Yes, that's the drawback to these trunk latch cameras. They all point too far down and the lines are not accurate. I actually disabled the lines because I'd rather not see them at all if they're wrong.
      08-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #634
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's the drawback to these trunk latch cameras. They all point too far down and the lines are not accurate. I actually disabled the lines because I'd rather not see them at all if they're wrong.
I wouldn't say that all of these have an issue.

Also from what I've seen it's very hard to get them installed fully seated which sometimes means it will point down more because it's not installed correctly.

I haven't measured the lines on my wide angle but they are pretty close to accurate. I'm not using them as a deciding factor on curbing wheels just whether or not I'm about to hit another car.
Attached Images

08-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #635
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also from what I've seen it's very hard to get them installed fully seated which sometimes means it will point down more because it's not installed correctly.

I haven't measured the lines on my wide angle but they are pretty close to accurate. I'm not using them as a deciding factor on curbing wheels just whether or not I'm about to hit another car.
Mine looks basically the same but with a bit less fisheye distortion. Snapped in very easily as well. It is pointed too low in my opinion and they all have the issue because they all use the same trunk latch mold. Still better than nothing and worth $30 though.
      08-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #636
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your replys.
Yours looks a little better than mine originally did. I cut mine up and reduced the angle. Unfortunately it lifted slightly and now is too close to the top, which cuts the top of the screen off.
I don't know how they are IP68/67 rated! The CCD circuit board is held in position on the lens with a dob of silicon, and in turn held in the housing with a dob of silicon.
I think I will try another one (maybe a different brand) and see if I can improve it.

Buy the way I fitted an INDUKTIV Wireless Charger. Very, very pleased!
Attached Images

Last edited by blk33; 08-28-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #637
Cyeh93
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 228i

Quote:
Code it before installation. The CarPlay box interferes with getting the connection to the CIC. It's written up in my installation tips.

[mrvedit](contact:204748)
It is best to complete the programming before starting; or, if you already have the new harness installed, before removing the jumper D.

Cyberdemon mrvedit

Hello to both Cyberdemon/mrvedit. Quick question, if the unit is already installed and everything works through the aux in the armrest; is it too late to code? Can I uninstall the unit and do the coding?

I finally found someone to code for me but with the unit already installed. He confirmed the parameters are coded, but the aux in the armrest still works and the aux behind the CIC unit doesn't work.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #638
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyeh93 View Post
Cyberdemon mrvedit

Hello to both Cyberdemon/mrvedit. Quick question, if the unit is already installed and everything works through the aux in the armrest; is it too late to code? Can I uninstall the unit and do the coding?

I finally found someone to code for me but with the unit already installed. He confirmed the parameters are coded, but the aux in the armrest still works and the aux behind the CIC unit doesn't work.

Thank you.
The Quadlock connector needs to be disconnected in order to code the CIC. So if the unit was still connected then the settings didn't take.

You can soft-uninstall the unit if the person can code it where you are. Remove the CIC, uninstall the quadlock connector and put back the original wire configuration, you don't need to remove the Carsara box completely to do this and you can leave the CIC dangling out while you confirm that the coding went through. Once you see "AUX Front" on the CIC, reinstall the Carsara box.