BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

04-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Automobile Mag: X5/6M Prototype Driven

Quote:
The arrival of the controversial X5 M and X6 M might be confirmation that BMW has dumped every engineering principle that made its M cars so distinctive and consistently good for the last thirty years. Until now, all M cars have had a high-revving, normally aspirated engine, a manual or automated manual gearbox, rear-wheel-drive, and a sedan or sports car shell. You won't find a single one of these qualities in M's latest efforts.The M versions of the X5 and X6 sport-utes go on sale in the fall, but BMW allowed us to drive prototypes at their winter test center in northern Sweden several months ago. Under their skins, the two trucks are the same: both use an M-massaged version of the twin-turbocharged V-8 and the trick rear differential from the X6 xDrive50i. The 4.4-liter V-8 engine has been boosted from 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque to 550 hp and about 500 lb-ft of torque.Unlike other M cars, there's no delicate balancing of clutch and revs to hinder a clean getaway, and no fiddling with the launch control system, either. Engage 'D' in the regular six-speed automatic transmission, boot the throttle, and the mighty engine slings you forward with a loud, raspy roar - and complete disregard for the behemoths' 4800-pound mass. BMW promises their wundertrucks will be quicker and cheaper than the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo.The xDrive all-wheel-drive system has been reprogrammed to send more torque to the rear axle and keep it there. It lets you indulge in long drifts that an M3 would be proud of. Low-grip surfaces emphasize the precision and delicacy of the steering and brakes.
One engineer slipped - doubtless deliberately - that in testing, the X6 M is as quick around the Nürburgring as an M3. You can be as upset as you like about the inherent absurdity of a 550-hp sport SUV, but it's hard to argue with how good these particular ones are to drive.
Price: $95,000 (est.)
Engine: 4.4-liter turbocharged V-8
Power: 550 hp
Torque: 500 lb-ft
Drive: 4-wheel

http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and.../photo_04.html

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

they look nuts but am i alone when i say the regular X6 and X5 4.4 exhausts look better and more muscular than those small quad tips?

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
You are not alone. The tips themselves look way more beefy with the rectangle shape. The rear bumper on the X6 M looks very badass.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

X6 looks good, X5 is hideous

My bro has a "normal" 3liter diesel X5 with M package 20" rims etc.. and that thing looks so much better than the actual "M" :/ really don't get it. The front looks like something you can find at a tokyo drift convention.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
There are no "engineering principles". It's all about marketing.
      04-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
There are no "engineering principles". It's all about marketing.
Hm?
Okay, there are some things you tend to associate with a certain name after having many years of the same. The M Division distinguishes itself with high revving NA engines and a Special focus on making road cars into machines that place an astonishing amount of emphasis on driver involvement.

These Contraptions are none of those things by nature. You cannot have an SUV Sports Car. Yes, the mags will be singing praises on how good they are over the standard but you will never hear them being compared to a normal car.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
These Contraptions are none of those things by nature. You cannot have an SUV Sports Car. Yes, the mags will be singing praises on how good they are over the standard but you will never hear them being compared to a normal car.
The X5andX6-M outrun an E46 M3 on the ring. <--normal car.
      04-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
The X5andX6-M outrun an E46 M3 on the ring. <--normal car.
Leaving my (rather weak) initial argument aside, i don't know, why should a car designed in the mid to late 90's be compared to one that has not even hit the dealer forecourt yet?

I understand you are a huge proponent of anything that garners increased market share and revenue but i would rather they built the Kubelwagen instead.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

In very difficult economic times a good business model would be to rely on products that sell in large quantities (3 Series, 5 Series). These two new models will not be seen on the road very often. I suspect that they have been greenlit before the recession and it was too late in the development to cancel them. Niche market products make sense only during good economic times.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0