BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

UPDATE: Center support bearing was replaced and vibrations gone

Shop assumed it was good but it was slightly loose. Replaced and all good. No markings on the diff (so paint dots at all) so there were no special balancing bolts/washers required.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #24
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m235boy View Post
UPDATE: Center support bearing was replaced and vibrations gone

Shop assumed it was good but it was slightly loose. Replaced and all good. No markings on the diff (so paint dots at all) so there were no special balancing bolts/washers required.
That's great news that you found the culprit! Did your driveshaft rebuild company replace the center bearing after the rebuild the first time, or were you still on the original? From my understanding that support bearing can only be changed out when the shaft is taken apart.

GM
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #25
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
That's great news that you found the culprit! Did your driveshaft rebuild company replace the center bearing after the rebuild the first time, or were you still on the original? From my understanding that support bearing can only be changed out when the shaft is taken apart.

GM
It was deemed to be "fine" by the driveshaft rebuild company when they initially took it in, changing only the u-joint and cv joint. So yes it was still on the original center bearing.

Obviously something was not right so they replaced the center bearing the 2nd time around and re-balanced. And yes to install the CSB the driveshaft needs to split in half. Maybe upon re-assembling it the 1st time the CSB was not put back properly and forcing it made it loose or it was just weak and needed to be refreshed anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #26
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Update: still no clues in which way to go from the folks that rebuilt the shaft or did the work...I wouldn't expect it either since my case seems to be so bizarre.

Anyways, I fixed the problem by upping the 4 gram weight to 6 grams. Actually 6 grams seems to be a little bit more like what the balancing washers would weigh given the photos and the size of my diff flange bolts. I can drive well beyond 1XX and the feels smooth and mostly quiet, no more drone or vibration...my tires are close to needing replacement so that will make things even more quiet and smooth.

I guess my diff output shaft was balanced with the driveshaft at the factory? I'll never know.

GM
Appreciate 1
jvictormp912.00