BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #45
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey SFP, are you working for BMW after all...?
Heh...nah I used to work for Audi/VW though...so I have a fair idea how the system works.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #46
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Heh...nah I used to work for Audi/VW though...so I have a fair idea how the system works.
Btw was in London last weekend with the family hoping to see you or some of the M3 buddies. Not a single one during 4 days. Seems to be equally rare over there as in Sthlm.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #47
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I have been through similar issues with a German car, and I think the dealer and BMW are treating you well. You got a nice loaner (worth as much as a 65k 2012 M3), you obviously pile on miles so you are saving miles on the Mercedes and the BMW M3, they fixed the car for free and gave you a gratuitous $1,500 which they were under no obligation to do so at all. Cars fail, its a fact, and some failures are partially the owner's fault. You could of accidentally tried to close the top with something blocking, slightly warping the system, causing the leak...Some owners over rev or do not wait to warm up, some fail to follow the initial break-in period, and some cars are built poorly (they save never buy a Monday or friday built car...). The engine costs $24k and the install is 9k (at least that was what I was quoted when mine was flood damaged). So you more than got your extended warranty back. I hope all ends well and in the end you vote with your wallet.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #48
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

What dealership is performing the work ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #49
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83
Greetings,

I dunno...to be honest, I understand how frustrated the OP feels. New cars aren't suppose to do that. And I also worked my tail off to get my M3 and it was a huge event for me to acquire one.

I wish the best outcome for the situation for the OP. BMW I think is trying to do therigt thing, but it's still something that would wear on anyone of us..I think it's important to give the OP some latitude and empathy for having to deal with this.

On the plus side, dude! The pics of the vert look great ! The car still looks amazing, try and ride it out with BMW, I think they are trying hard to make it right.

Cheers,
Merlin
I don't consider 50k miles on a car new by any means. Doesn't matter what year the car is .
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #50
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

OP, I remember coming across your video on youtube when I was in the market for my car. I too have a white e93 in NYC so I feel horrible you have to go through this with your car. While this situation absolutely sucks, I think it could've been way worse. Good call purchasing the extended warranty, because if you haven't you would most likely be faced with a $25k bill or try to sell the car as is and lose even more $. At this point, I would just count my blessings and try to look at the bright side: you are getting a new engine (which was the main issue from the beginning), you get to drive a nice 535 to keep the miles off the M (instead of a base 328i), and you are getting $1500 compensation (which could've been $0).

Just curious, what do you think BMW should do differently to make you whole in this situation? What would you be satisfied with? Do you want them to buy your car back and get you into a new car? If this was a Audi or MB, do you think they would have treated you better? Anyway, keep us updated on what happens and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #51
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I don't consider 50k miles on a car new by any means. Doesn't matter what year the car is .
50k miles is relatively new. No car at 50k miles should need a new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
OP, I remember coming across your video on youtube when I was in the market for my car. I too have a white e93 in NYC so I feel horrible you have to go through this with your car. While this situation absolutely sucks, I think it could've been way worse. Good call purchasing the extended warranty, because if you haven't you would most likely be faced with a $25k bill or try to sell the car as is and lose even more $. At this point, I would just count my blessings and try to look at the bright side: you are getting a new engine (which was the main issue from the beginning), you get to drive a nice 535 to keep the miles off the M (instead of a base 328i), and you are getting $1500 compensation (which could've been $0).

Just curious, what do you think BMW should do differently to make you whole in this situation? What would you be satisfied with? Do you want them to buy your car back and get you into a new car? If this was a Audi or MB, do you think they would have treated you better? Anyway, keep us updated on what happens and good luck!
I think he expects bmw to make an engine that doesn't fail after a mere 50k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #52
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

You mean bmw didn't include a dinner for 2 at Peter Lugers ?

Is this thread a joke
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #53
7500rich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
You mean bmw didn't include a dinner for 2 at Peter Lugers ?

Is this thread a joke
That's what I thought, although I stopped reading after I watched the video of the op picking up the car, SMH. That's why everyone who owns a bmw is a "douche" when in fact it's just a few super douches and we all get the bad rap.

Then again maybe I'm the super douche for posting this...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #54
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I have been through similar issues with a German car, and I think the dealer and BMW are treating you well. You got a nice loaner (worth as much as a 65k 2012 M3), you obviously pile on miles so you are saving miles on the Mercedes and the BMW M3, they fixed the car for free and gave you a gratuitous $1,500 which they were under no obligation to do so at all. Cars fail, its a fact, and some failures are partially the owner's fault. You could of accidentally tried to close the top with something blocking, slightly warping the system, causing the leak...Some owners over rev or do not wait to warm up, some fail to follow the initial break-in period, and some cars are built poorly (they save never buy a Monday or friday built car...). The engine costs $24k and the install is 9k (at least that was what I was quoted when mine was flood damaged). So you more than got your extended warranty back. I hope all ends well and in the end you vote with your wallet.
+1 It could be a lot worse.
      01-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #55
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Btw was in London last weekend with the family hoping to see you or some of the M3 buddies. Not a single one during 4 days. Seems to be equally rare over there as in Sthlm.

Cheers
Was in Stockholm several times many years ago...what i recall is that folks there take their drinking very seriously, there are lots of American classic cars cruising around and expensive cars are quite rare.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #56
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

I was in London a couple of times last year and saw a few new Ms and a couple of older ones too....by older I mean E9x.....ha!

I think it is obvious the dealer is doing well by the OP. Question answered.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #57
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
50k miles is relatively new. No car at 50k miles should need a new engine.

I think he expects bmw to make an engine that doesn't fail after a mere 50k miles
the average miles people put on there daily driven cars per year is around 15k. according to a few sources i googled. that is also the amount i drive.

That means it would take me 4 years to hit 60k miles. a 4 year old car inst OLD, but it inst new.

OP has 60k+ miles on a high perforuamce engine. i agree the engine should not fail! but i am not shocked also. because these cars are not hondas. and the op does not have a low mile car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #58
raunchm3
MauPechi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Why are you guys all assuming his dealership had nothing to do with that "slight indentation on one cylinder wall". To the OP : did you see that indentation yourself ? could you post a picture of it, instead of focusing on the emotional side of things which is real but is useless at the end.

High idling can have many causes (fuel supply system, idle actuator, ..) but i would not that easily accept a "slight indentation on one cylinder wall" as being a reason for that.

There is a possibility this damage was caused by a mechanic mistake at the dealership and what's happening here is just a settlement without revealing it's a dealership mess up.

In any case,
To benefit the M3 owners community could you get picture of that indentation ? It would create a precedent should anyone else found the same in their engine and bmw to assume responsability.
I will take pics of the cylinder wall damage to show you guys. I am not a mechanic or BMW expert but some of you are and will see things a bit different than me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #59
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Petros I agree, "50k miles is relatively new. No car at 50k miles should need a new engine." unless the prior owner did not properly follow the break-in, constantly over revved, missed shifts on a manual and did too many launch controls.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #60
apollo322
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1999 M coupe, 2003.5 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Petros I agree, "50k miles is relatively new. No car at 50k miles should need a new engine." unless the prior owner did not properly follow the break-in, constantly over revved, missed shifts on a manual and did too many launch controls.

OR there's a flaw in the engine that causes more than should to blow up way before their time. In anyones book 50K is way before its time. I still think the poster was treated as fairly as he could be under the circumstances, but there is no reason we should have this many blown engine threads in this forum. They didn't all abuse them IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #61
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Guys, there's no evidence this is a rod bearing related issue from what the OP has described. Believe it or not, there are occasionally other things that can happen to a cars engine that cause failure. The speculation on this stuff is getting crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #62
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

It sounds like a very inconvenient experience but IMO, BMW has responded very well and probably better than I would have expected. $1500 cash is pretty damn nice. In my business, writing a check is never an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #63
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

So everyone make sure you print this thread and run to the dealer and say where is my 1500$ bonus

Your 1500$ was "stfu" money
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #64
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
It sounds like a very inconvenient experience but IMO, BMW has responded very well and probably better than I would have expected. $1500 cash is pretty damn nice. In my business, writing a check is never an option.
"Better than expected" is what I think is the issue. After various mess about with BMW's dealer (trained and controlled by BMW) they eventually accept there is an issue. After another good number of weeks BMW finally decide to wake up and respond. Taken action to change the engine is obviously fine.

What I simply can't understand however is how that makes BMW overall great here. The car broke down and only after significant efforts from the owner (their customer!) a solution proposal was made. I don't know of any other businesses involving this level investment that not only get away with it but earn good rating on top.

I'd say we spoiled them folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #65
raunchm3
MauPechi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post

so many replies with an answer to each but let me just keep it general instead. What would I like? I would like to get credited for the extended warranty cost as a way for BMW to back up the top quality vehicles that they ensured me they are they make before i purchased my car and throught all of the issues that i've had since i bought the car brand new.

Am I an unreasonable individual for expecting to have a reliable and high quality vehicle? Then let me just say that i am a very unrealistic person if that's the case. Since i bought the car i followed every recommendation by BMW on how to baby my car. Broken in properly, rearly over revved, NEVER tracked, never launched, always services by my BMW dealer as recommended and often over jealous on the services that were performed. There has beem a series of issues with the car since i purchased it; just thought that it was not necessary to outline them here.

I appreciate all of your input as most of them have beem very helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #66
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
And that's why BMW and other car manufacturers can get away with selling increasingly disposable cars.
Appreciate 0