BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #67
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecio84 View Post
sorry man but DCT is boring as hell, I first got a DCT M and got rid of it 6 months later and ordered a manual. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. Not to mention for roll racing a 6 speed is better geared
Oh for sure. Whenever I roll race, I always wish I had a 6MT. Getting bogged down with automated clutch engagement killlls me.

OP - 6MT or DCT? I still think this is a really good thread because these two cars are so evenly matched.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #68
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
The faster shifts in the DCT will out perform the gearing of the 6MT.
      04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #69
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Shhhhh. Apparently, some folks are incredibly entertained by flailing that elbow around. I have several manual shift cars and don't generally consider the shifting part all that entertaining compared to other aspects of driving, but everyone has their "thing". Then there is the latest generation of drivers that never learned to drive a stick, so shifting is considered a badge of honor among some crowds.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #70
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
not really, every time I have gone out roll racing, the quicker shifting in the DCT doesn't compensate enough for the gearing. I pull on DCT's all the time with same exact mods as my car except different transmission

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5

Last edited by Lucrecio84; 04-23-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #71
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Shhhhh. Apparently, some folks are incredibly entertained by flailing that elbow around. I have several manual shift cars and don't generally consider the shifting part all that entertaining compared to other aspects of driving, but everyone has their "thing". Then there is the latest generation of drivers that never learned to drive a stick, so shifting is considered a badge of honor among some crowds.
I would have to agree with you in regards to shifting being a badge of honor. Knowing you can drive your car better than most is rewarding in my opinion. Like you said, everyone has their "thing" though. I guess I can only see DCT being a little more fun if other things come into play. For instance if you are tracking the car and constantly needing to shift going as fast as you can around a turn. Anyhow, not trying to thread jack, just saw others giving an opinion and gave mine.

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #72
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I've owned a 2014 C7 Z51 6MT. Great car. I could not get over the seats, though, they were extremely uncomfortable for me. Beyond that, the interior felt fine when new, but they do age quite a bit. The navi/infotainment in the gauge cluster is cool and works well, but the navigation screen itself is horrible to navigate through and is slower and clunky if that matters.

It's faster, sticks better, and stops better. I found it just as rewarding on a curvy road, especially with the top off (but I'm a sucker for convertibles) without the weight penalty of a porkster E93. The C7 is faster around a track, and has much more aftermarket support as well.

That said, the build quality on my early one was kind of bad - the paint was terrible had some noticeable runs and orange peel like crazy. The interior materials looked nice but felt blah. Even my 3LT with the full leather interior looked great, but the seams were crooked, the leather felt cheap and panels felt like a rental car. But, they are cheaper than the e9x was new.

Compared to the F8x, the F8x is faster in a straight line, and nicer inside for a similar price. I'd be hard pressed to get a regular C7 over an F8x. (especially with the M4s going for near invoice or below!) Z06 is a different story, but you're making a very different trade off - do you want insanely fast with little practicality or do you want a nice car that happens to be pretty quick?

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #73
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
That said, the build quality on my early one was kind of bad - the paint was terrible had some noticeable runs and orange peel like crazy. The interior materials looked nice but felt blah. Even my 3LT with the full leather interior looked great, but the seams were crooked, the leather felt cheap and panels felt like a rental car.

You mean that UAW quality... When you have drunk and stoned autoworkers building your car, what did you expect? I have no qualms about the questionable quality of some things on my Ford truck, I expected it
Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level 2 SC / StopTech ST60/40 BBK
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #74
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
This makes no sense as they are 2 diff cars. I have only owned stripped down M3s. Real performance enthusiasts don't care about options and all the other stupid gizmos that are just more stuff to go wrong.
Post a pic of your car. Unless it's got a cage and no panels and has your option $ savings times four dumped into making it a track car, your argument about stripped down stock cars being a true enthusiast's car is ridiculous. Stripped down cars that are driven on the street absolutely suck and the only valid reason to order a car that way is that it's going to be turned in for mostly track duty or you simply couldn't or did not want to pay for options (no judgment for that reason).

Quote:
sorry man but DCT is boring as hell, I first got a DCT M and got rid of it 6 months later and ordered a manual. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. Not to mention for roll racing a 6 speed is better geared
Cool story. And who roll races M3s? teenagers. You onlt have a longer gear to ride out in the gera you are likely starting in. you'll lose a 1/2 car length by the time you get to your first shift.

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
not really, every time I have gone out roll racing, the quicker shifting in the DCT doesn't compensate enough for the gearing. I pull on DCT's all the time with same exact mods as my car except different transmission
If you want to row your gears to feel manly relic, that's cool. Just be a bit more reasonable about your justification for doing so. It's not a faster car under any circumstances unless my DCT overheats and I go into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #75
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
Me personally would maybe take a C7 over a regular M3.

However if it were a limerock.. absolutely not. Ive seen probably a good 100+ C7s since they came out here in WI and have yet to see a limerock M3 here

To me the the limerock M3 is a better looking car, much better interior and with similar (ish) performance.
Where in Wisco are you?
      04-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #76
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114 View Post
Where in Wisco are you?
Milwaukee area. North Prairie to be exact
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #77
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
6MT vs DCT, but I guess it's the scoops winning this roll race -
      04-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #78
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I've decided to go with the limerock. Offered the dealer some cash on top of my car and see where that goes
      05-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #79
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3
You can drop a turd out of an airplane, and it will accelerate to 60MPH in under 3 seconds..... and so it goes with a Corvette.

There is just so much more to a car than what GM is selling.
Truth or not, this is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on a car forum. My biggest issue with the Vette is that there are too many around. I am in the search for the next car to replace my e92 and I am really having a hard time finding anything under like $150k that provides a significantly better subjective and objective driving experience. I want something to come along and just blow me away but it just hasn't happened yet.
      05-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #80
StraightUpFitness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

Larthal I've been in your situation before.. I found that you'll never get 'blown away' if you keep buying the highest performance car out there.

Sometimes you just have to go from 'really-nice' to 'whatever', then you'll appreciate the 'really-nice' when you get back in one.

And mentally you'll look at this purchase in a whole other way. You won't have high hopes of it, and you'll drive it like you stole it.. reaching its' limits much faster.

And we all know that reaching a cars' limits = pure bliss

I'm talking something like..

- 14-15 Camaro 1LE 2SS (drive one before you judge)
- 13 Boss Laguna Seca
- BMW M235i
- Previous gen Cayman S
- New Golf GTI or R
- ... shoot even a Fiesta ST

Get on that for a year.. make some money and put it in a 'Vegas fund' and then get that 650s
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #81
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3
You can drop a turd out of an airplane, and it will accelerate to 60MPH in under 3 seconds..... and so it goes with a Corvette.

There is just so much more to a car than what GM is selling.
Truth or not, this is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on a car forum. My biggest issue with the Vette is that there are too many around. I am in the search for the next car to replace my e92 and I am really having a hard time finding anything under like $150k that provides a significantly better subjective and objective driving experience. I want something to come along and just blow me away but it just hasn't happened yet.
You're 100% correct...There are very few if any options that have the cachet, the pure adrenaline rush, the exotic sound or performance of the e9x...
Also agree on how many vettes are out there and the kind of person that is attracted to the vette versus the E9X...
It's all relative... Simply suggest people find what makes them happy and gives them that shit eating grin when you're driving down the street and screw all the rest of the mental gyrations about what you can get for X dollars that would be a better deal or a better high
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #82
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
You're 100% correct...There are very few if any options that have the cachet, the pure adrenaline rush, the exotic sound or performance of the e9x...
Also agree on how many vettes are out there and the kind of person that is attracted to the vette versus the E9X...
It's all relative... Simply suggest people find what makes them happy and gives them that shit eating grin when you're driving down the street and screw all the rest of the mental gyrations about what you can get for X dollars that would be a better deal or a better high
For me i prefer the german made. but IMO they really suck now of days. not feeling the new C63, or F80 M3 and i am bored with my E92. I also dont want to have to drop a blower on this thing.

the stingray is sexy (when done right), it has a N/A powerful V8, manual trans, 2 seater (plus for a guy without kids) and cost less than a F80.

But its common car, and doesn't have that M badge. back in the E92 days i would never take a C6 over a M3. but now of days with ugly cars from BMW and Benz and turbo engines. I would rather drive a common corvette.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #83
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Did you ever consider a gen 5 Viper? It is possibly the only American car short of the Ford GT that I would consider.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #84
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
For me i prefer the german made. but IMO they really suck now of days. not feeling the new C63, or F80 M3 and i am bored with my E92. I also dont want to have to drop a blower on this thing.

the stingray is sexy (when done right), it has a N/A powerful V8, manual trans, 2 seater (plus for a guy without kids) and cost less than a F80.

But its common car, and doesn't have that M badge. back in the E92 days i would never take a C6 over a M3. but now of days with ugly cars from BMW and Benz and turbo engines. I would rather drive a common corvette.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from... For me I still get a kick out of the naturally aspirated S65 roar
You know maybe I'm a dinosaur in that regard...then again, I liked Triumph's back in the day, and the AlfaRomeo spiders and 2002 Tii's, not for what they weren't but for what they were
I think the 2011 ZCP E90 is going to be a classic for years to come...
Whatever you find that's more enticing, I wish you to have that same sense of little boy wonder and appreciation
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #85
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightUpFitness View Post
- 14-15 Camaro 1LE 2SS (drive one before you judge)
I second this. I test drove one and it was a pleasure to drive and throw around. Great braking, great turn in, power and torque were on point, amazing sound, etc. The HUD was a nice touch as well. The one thing that made it completely out of the question was the interior. It had a few nice Alcantara bits and very spartan, but it was just poorly designed. I couldn't get over how awful it was, even for Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #86
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

I almost bought a 2016 stingray (must have the z51) I also test drove the new m4 ... The stingray hands down is the most sexy looking . The m4 was a total disappointment . I started with m cars all the way back with the original m3 e30 and followed by 2 e46 m3's an e60 m5 and an m6. All having that high redline and naturally aspirated engine makes you feel like your driving a race car. Pure love ?. This is lost in the new bmw. I couldn't careless about torque. It's how the car makes you feel when you drive it.
The vette was much better then the previous generation (but not exhilarating in the least ) . Get the z06 if you wanna be as fast as it looks.

Personally I supercharged my M. I'm half invested and loving it. Different strokes for different folks .
Bucki14155.50
      02-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #87
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I think stingrays are meh, everywhere! Like everybody's been saying maybe just get the zo6 c7?

I have a 2011 335d with 430whp 650tq and it throws down...

Just the other day a new 16' camaro SS (I believe it's the same 6.2 in the stingray) on a honk roll got demolished, maybe 6-7 lengths by 120 (and a cloud of coal ). The driver looked speechless...

Just depends what your into. I'm into being the little diesel that could on 41psi while still getting 40mpg. I didn't buy this car for the looks or badging, but I will say it's been a phenomenal ride
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #88
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
I think stingrays are meh, everywhere! Like everybody's been saying maybe just get the zo6 c7?

I have a 2011 335d with 430whp 650tq and it throws down...

Just the other day a new 16' camaro SS (I believe it's the same 6.2 in the stingray) on a honk roll got demolished, maybe 6-7 lengths by 120 (and a cloud of coal ). The driver looked speechless...

Just depends what your into. I'm into being the little diesel that could on 41psi while still getting 40mpg. I didn't buy this car for the looks or badging, but I will say it's been a phenomenal ride

That's awesome...what have you done to the car?
Appreciate 0