BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #23
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
A rice-rocket (no offense) vs. a BMW... mmm. Let me give that some thought.... I think I'll go for the BMW.

All of us could buy Evos and Subarus if we wanted to instead of the old E46 M3 too, but most of the people on this board chose the M3? Why? Superior handling, quality and countless reasons that have made the BMW marque unique and one of the most respected brands in the world. I've driven the Evo's and Subarus, and I am not impressed. Never have been.

Best regards,

Jussi
i think it's only because you are so used to driving bmw that you are so used to it. bmw has definately better, higher quality than any of the cars that were mentioned earlier but, i am wondering how you determine "rice-rocket."
i am not trying to offend your or anything because i made the stupidest mistake when i got my infiniti G35 coupe. because i could've gotten e46 m3

thanks for sharing your opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #24
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the rice statement, let me make that clear at first. Ok. It was just sarcasm.

In my case my love relationship with BMW's built up slowly during the years while driving many different cars because of my work, on work related travel and on other occasions. And also because of starting to work with first car-related products and then cars at a certain point.

The moment I was finally lost to BMWs was when E46 came out. I already had a E36 323i at that point, which I loved, and I appreciated RWD cars for their handling, but the E46 really blew me away. It's one of my most memorable driving experiences ever, driving the first E46 328i out of the yard of the dealership for a test drive. Unforgettable. I think that was in Spring or Summer 1999? Anyway, it was the first 328i E46 to come to this country, it was when only the Sedan had came out, nobody knew to really "wait" for a Coupé because that's when BMW first made it so different and special from the Sedan when it came out in E46 model... And way before they upgraded the engines to the new M54's... it was with the M52B28.

It's just so many things you could write a book about it. The handling, the feel of the road, the cabin layout (esp. back in E46), the straight six engines, their incredible sound... I could go on and on, but don't have the time.

Besides BMW's, I've come to love Maseratis, and have been fortunate enough to drive a few (3200GT and the old Quattroporte), RUF and Ferrari. I have had a chance to drive a F355... very special, but it was still the old manual, and I didn't like the feeling of it's transmission. It was laborous to drive (so that you wouldn't break it. - or maybe I was just being too careful.)

Overall, I've probably driven about 300-400 different vehicles from different manufacturers, including pretty much all the popular available sporty cars that are still within the means of ordinary citizens to purchase (like NSX, S2000 etc.) And on the other hand, during my stint in the US, SUVs, the mega-Fords, Cadillac Escalades (which was my company car for a while actually, aaarghh!)

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #25
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i wish i can drive ferrari...
you didnt offend anyone with rice statement btw (at least i hope not)

anyways, m3 better be in US by this fall...i will kill someone if it's not coming in 2007
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #26
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
i wish i can drive ferrari...
you didnt offend anyone with rice statement btw (at least i hope not)

anyways, m3 better be in US by this fall...i will kill someone if it's not coming in 2007
There are rentals in DC area that rent Ferrari's. Google around and you will find. And in Los Angeles too, which is the perfect place to take a F360 for a spin (for example.) - expect to pay around $2000 a day, plus a huge deposit on your credit card though, better have a good credit. I didn't dare rent Ferrari's for my company, but I did rent BMW's on almost all my trips to LA and was very satisfied with the service (and they weren't that expensive, relatively...)

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #27
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah i know which one you are talking about.
they rent gallardo/murcielago/360modena/bentley,etc.
i am not that desperate to put down 2grand for a day
gotta keep my budget up for m3!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah i know which one you are talking about.
they rent gallardo/murcielago/360modena/bentley,etc.
i am not that desperate to put down 2grand for a day
gotta keep my budget up for m3!!!

Yeah, and it's usually more fun if you can find an experienced person who has driven those cars and a track to drive it on, if you want to experience a Ferrari or another supercar. Just renting it and driving it on the roads isn't worth the $$$ in my opinion - that's why I haven't wasted my money on it either - I'd rather spend the same money on another luxury (like a class upgrade on long flights) etc.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #29
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Yeah, Im glad Jussi got to it. Even though I agree that the Skyline will be a phenomenal car and will outperform the new M3, I wouldnt buy it over the M3. The Skyline compared to the M3 will be a joke, even if the cost was the same, (which it won't obviously) and the Skyline outperforms it by alot, its still a damn Nissan!
Just like the EVO, STI, NSX, Supra are still Mitsubishi's, Subaru's, Hondas (my fav japanese company) and Toyotas. I used to be on the Japanese wagon before my first ride in an E36 M3. AND THAT WAS THE US MODEL!!! But ever since that day, I haven't looked at a Japanese car the same

There are far superior manufacturing tendencies with German cars compared to Japanese cars. Build quality, saftey, interior and power for starters are produced better by German manufacturers. And along with those things comes, reputation, prestige, and status. Which is something that even though alot of people don't like to admit, are the reason why then go to German cars. Think about it, as a kid you don't aspire to be a lawyer one day and drive a Acura or Lexus. You dream about an MB or BMW...well at least I hope you do.

Examples of this are typically seen in the tuner market where the people start with Honda Civics, etc...then move to EVO's/STI's, then when the success and money comes then switch over to the European market. And they act like they have loved it all the time.

All in all, I love all cars. But my honest opinion is that German cars are far superior to any other in the world. With Italians coming in second place by a little bit.

-Pete. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #30
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i really wanna know how close it will be to have a race between GTR vs new E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #31
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here people may think M3 GTR when you say GTR - it would be murder ;-)

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #32
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

^^^Yikes! Be carefull with that! Hahah.

I think that the Skyline will oblibliterate it. The car will have a guaranteed 450+ HP and should only weigh in at 3100-3200lbs. Coupled with the most advanced AWD system in the world. This is not like your ugly understeering AWD EVO's and STI's. It will be a treat to see it in action.

It should see well under 4 seconds to 60mph (100km/h) And should be around the 'Ring well under 8 minutes.

However, at the end of the day when you roll up to the dinner in your car, its still a Nissan.

And...
Supercharged E92 M3 > R36 Skyline.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #33
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

no doubt...thats the reason why i am leaning towards to E92 m3, not skyline GTR (lol!)
not because it's nissan but i think V8 NA has more potential than hooked up V6.
just my 2 cents opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #34
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Everything is possible with engines. Don't buy the M3 because of the engine. Buy it because you know the best car that fits you, and its the one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #35
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yes everything is possible with engines but i dont know...
this force that attracts me from bmw is stronger than nissan even if it has GTR coming :/
i cant stop it!!! help me!!! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #36
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

That force is something we all got. The car is so sleek and sexy looking. It pulls you in!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #37
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
i guess you will be buying m3 then.
Probably...I've seen recent reports on the GT-R between $70K and $85K...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #38
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you should be expecting minimum 80k.
i am pretty sure that fully loaded new M3 will be 70k top.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #39
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

AWD does not make a car faster unless you don't drive on roads. AWD makes a car heavier, tends to add understeer, and adds complexity. AWD makes a bad driver faster but tends to make a good driver slower. Now depending on which camp you are in, you might go faster

Also I wish people would stop talking about "great BMW handling". Go drive some other cars like the corvette, evo, lotus, or s2000 and see if you still think its so great. Its good, but not great.
      11-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #40
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

BMW handling not great? Wow...I won't respond. But anywho, I never said that AWD cars are faster. And I know that AWD cars typically suck, in that they hinder RWD drivers from driving it their way. I have only driven one AWD vehicle, a Subaru WRX non-STI and it understeers the same as an FF Integra Type-R. I was just giving a few facts on the R36 GT-R, one for example being that the AWD system will not be THAT understeer prone.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #41
BrianJA
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 Audi RS4

I think we are kidding ourselves to think the Nissan GTR (the new model has nothing in common with the Japanese Skyline) isn't going to give the M3 a run for its money.

Engine by Cosworth...suspension by Lotus...this thing is going to be killer. Nissan has officially stated that the 997 Turbo is what it is going after.

That said, there are certainly reasons why I have a deposit at a BMW dealer and not a Nissan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #42
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJA View Post
I think we are kidding ourselves to think the Nissan GTR (the new model has nothing in common with the Japanese Skyline) isn't going to give the M3 a run for its money.

Engine by Cosworth...suspension by Lotus...this thing is going to be killer. Nissan has officially stated that the 997 Turbo is what it is going after.

That said, there are certainly reasons why I have a deposit at a BMW dealer and not a Nissan dealer.
engne by cosworth...suspensio by lotus...for new GTR?
i cant wait til it comes out.
it's gonna be some serious competitions.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #43
BrianJA
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 Audi RS4

Quote:
engne by cosworth...suspensio by lotus...for new GTR?
i cant wait til it comes out.
it's gonna be some serious competitions.

yup. Nissan contracted both of them to develop the mechanicals on the new car. Should be something special... and pricey. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #44
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
AWD does not make a car faster unless you don't drive on roads. AWD makes a car heavier, tends to add understeer, and adds complexity. AWD makes a bad driver faster but tends to make a good driver slower. Now depending on which camp you are in, you might go faster

Also I wish people would stop talking about "great BMW handling". Go drive some other cars like the corvette, evo, lotus, or s2000 and see if you still think its so great. Its good, but not great.
Without arguing, let's just say your postition on AWD is VERY controversial and can be spun either way depending upon on many variables.

"great BMW handling" is most often in comparison to other sedans and true 2+2 Coupes, and for that they have earned their rep.
Appreciate 0