BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-23-2021, 01:41 AM   #1
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
My Garmin Catalyst Review

I saw this when I was shopping for a new helmet, and I had heard about it and was curious about its capabilities. Anything that can improve my laptimes will get serious consideration.

I'm a pretty big AIM Solo DL fanboy, as the data analysis and tight data integration with all of my cars makes for an invaluable tool. However, I feel AIM has dropped the ball with the AIM Solo 2 DL since there are numerous quality of life things they forgot to include (USB connector, hello? Another power cable for 12v socket?).

So let's get to the unit:

In the box, you get the tablet, and 1080p 30 fps quality camera with a polarized lens cap to cut down on windshield glare. A pretty sturdy RAM mount is included, which has a magnetic quick-release that holds the tablet pretty well. I don't imagine it's going to come off unless you hit it hard - I spun out and it stayed fixed.

You also get a hard-wire cable that you can directly wire into your car's power supply, as well as a 12v socket plug and corresponding USB cables. The camera itself does not have a battery built into it, so you must run a cable from it to the power brick attached to the magnetic mount:

Out of the box, some 3M sticky cable routing guides can be used to route the cable around the windshield to prevent it from blocking the field of view. The cable is pretty long so can be hidden behind headliner etc.

An additional USB cable is run from the magnetic mount to one of the two power supplies (hard-wire or socket USB).

The tablet itself is running a pretty old version of Android (6) but it isn't really a factor since the software package only allows you to run the Garmin software. The software recognized my 2.4GHz wireless router, but not the 5G one. I updated the software twice - once when I first connected it, and then again a few days later when another bug-fix release came out. This is actually promising to me as it implies there is active development behind the product.

The software on the tablet is very easy to use. It's obvious that the Catalyst was designed to be entirely self-contained with no need to use a laptop or anything to pull data off. More on this in a minute.

You can set up multiple cars and multiple drivers, but I did not test this feature. I imagine this is extremely helpful when there is a driver that is much more experienced than you that can drive the car and provide a reference lap for you to compare to.

The Catalyst can connect to both GPS and GLONASS and it found the track right away. It is very easy to add a track if it isn't found. Once the tablet is connected to the magnetic mount and camera, you can press the drive button on the screen to get ready to go. You need to do an alignment procedure with the camera before you can run though.

The alignment procedure just checks to see if the camera is level and if you have centered it in the car. The camera is going to be looking to see where the edges of the track are and where you position the car, so it needs to be accurately set up. I didn't have any issue with the alignment procedure even though my camera is lightly offset from center.

I have a pair of Samsung Buds Pro wireless bluetooth earpieces that I was able to pair successfully to the catalyst. This is pretty neat because while you are driving the Catalyst is able to give you information about Lap Times, and when you use some of the race coach functionality, it will give you advice on how to proceed and how you did:
* "For the next right turn, turn earlier/later"
* "For the next turn, try braking sooner/later"
* "Good apex"
* "Good braking"
* "Brake softer/harder"
* "Better than average speed through corner"
* "Keep pushing"
* "Lap time was 2:00.54" etc.

I did not find this to be annoying, it had the correct balance of not being too chatty while giving meaningful feedback on how you did. I believe this is tied specifically to the opportunities for improvement it will give you when you are done with a session.

Once you are done with a session it will give you an overview of how you did and what you can do to improve:

When you click on the "Opportunities" button it will present you with 3 things you can do to best improve your laptime, and will let you cycle through them. For this opportunity, I was told to brake later, and then it even showed me a picture of where the best braking point was!

You can see that if I break at the 3 cone marker, I will set a faster lap time than my average lap time:

Now, it is hugely important to understand that the car relies on YOU to figure out what the best points are. It is basically a tool to give you the ability to figure out what worked and what didn't, so exploration (within safety limits obviously) is key to getting a better understanding of how to improve your lap times. If you are somehow able to keep consistently doing the same thing, it won't give you any areas of improvement.

Most people are not like that, so I think that 95% of us, even advanced drivers, can get utility out of this.

I tested this at Chuckwalla on the weekend of the 20th Feb 2021. The first day was a wash for me as I was busy struggling with suspension setup from new parts, and time attack competition, as well as not being ready for the first session of the day etc. In short, it was a mess.

On the 2nd day, where I was able to just focus on self-improvement once I got the car in a place I liked, I was able to improve on my lap times in each session. Every session was literally a PB.

What I would do before gridding for my next session, is I would take 5 minutes to review the "Opportunities" on what I can do to improve. With the advice the car has for me fresh in mind, you can click on the "Race Coach" on each segment if you think the advice is useful. The Catalyst will then talk to you about these specific segments.

When I say when you think the advice is useful, it's important to understand the limitations of the device. The Catalyst has no way of knowing if you're actually braking, it relies on an accelerometer built in to figure this out. In one instance, the race coach was telling me to brake harder in a section of the track where it isn't a braking area - this is simply the car scrubbing off speed in an off-camber turn. On the other hand, this is still useful information because it's telling me that I'm pushing too hard in this area when going slow-in fast-out is probably a better approach.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 6
roastbeef11584.50
beats225.00
CSBM52721.00
admranger2984.50
Exclusivs542.00
Jon H391.50
      02-23-2021, 01:42 AM   #2
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
When you are done with a session, you can actually see what your optimal lap would look like - it pieces together the best sectors of your lap to create one continuous stream of footage. This can be kind of amusing when you see cars suddenly warp in and out of existence. Here's what it looks like:

It is very easy to view video on the Catalyst, as it organizes all the laps in sequential order and skipping ahead to various segments is quick and painless. I know I've spent way too much time trying to pan my way through a GoPro video for footage of me sliding through a corner - I'm able to recall the data almost instantly. They really nailed the UI and transitions. All of the video data is stored on a removable SD card (the device comes with two SD card slots, one internal that you can get to via an easily removable cover, and one external). It comes with a 32 GB SD card.

Now, when you're done for the day and want to upload this to Youtube, how do you do this?

There is a "SYNC" button that you can use to upload your data to Garmin Connect. Unfortunately, you have to do this in order to export your lap data, I wasn't able to figure out how to pull this from the device, though it might be possible. This means signing up for an account and all of this.

Look mom, I can run 77 mph:

To export track data, there is an activities button on the left side of this Garmin Connect website, and it will show you all your laps. From this screen, you can click on one of these sessions to pull up this next screen:

The gear tab will let you export the track and lap data to a file that RaceRender can understand. I chose to export to a TCX file. The videos themselves are easily extractable by connecting a micro USB cable to your computer and the Catalyst, and pulling the data out of the SD card. The data directories are not named after anything arcane or cryptic, you can easily drill down to the user, track, car, and time of day to find the video you're looking for.

Here's the end result of what it looks like, only using data from the Garmin Catalyst:

instagram.com/titomanlio

Last edited by redpriest; 02-23-2021 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11584.50
CSBM52721.00
admranger2984.50
Ximian1917.50
      02-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #3
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I am very impressed with the unit. Lack of CAN bus integration and inability to inter-operate with my historical AIM Solo DL data which contains thousands of laps is the only reason I can't switch completely to using this. But this is my primary review tool at the track, as you really do need a good 15-30 minutes to look through AIM data.

At the chaos of the track, having to fix stuff that breaks, as well as socializing opportunities, you don't always have time for this. But you do have 5 minutes before session start to have something fresh on your mind right before you go out. Limiting it to 3 big possibilities for improvement is a pretty good compromise on not overwhelming you with data.

I can see this product only getting better as they continue to iterate on this in the future. At $1000 it can be a tough sell for people, but track time is expensive, and so are consumables, so maximizing your learning opportunities is important.

I don't see this as a 100% replacement for professional coaching, if anything, this acts as an ENORMOUS complement to a professional coach, because you can let them set a fast benchmark time and use this as a tool to slowly work on getting to their level.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11584.50
Exclusivs542.00
CSBM52721.00
admranger2984.50
      02-23-2021, 02:06 AM   #4
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Areas of improvement I would love to see:

* Overlay on device of sensor data - speed, accelerometer, especially for something like the optimal lap. This would let you better visualize as part of one streaming flow when to hit the brakes, when to turn in, etc. Now the Catalyst does do this, but it only does it through still frames.

* Why not skip the connect to the computer step altogether and let me upload this directly to Youtube with some basic overlays?

* Better quality camera - it's not bad, but the cameras can be bought stand alone for $180. Having the ability to connect an even better camera with 60 fps would be fantastic. I have always passed on the Smartycam with the AIM for the reason that paying $1000 for 720p just seems backwards.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      02-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Thanks for the review, I have been thinking about picking this up as well to use along side my Solo ii DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I have always passed on the Smartycam with the AIM for the reason that paying $1000 for 720p just seems backwards.
Agreed 100%, I don't get how they keep selling such an oudated camera. 1080 60fps is all I need. The price is just outrageous for what you get.
      02-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Agreed again the smartycam. Allow us to connect a camera built after the dinosaurs were extinct, please. You can charge just as much for your device, just allow me to connect an actual camera.

I use 4k60 and it makes a big difference
Appreciate 3
CSBM52721.00
Polo088161610.00
      02-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

truly it's the best $900 anyone can spend on a track car. it's helped me shave off over 4 seconds off personal bests at my member track.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Thanks for the review!

I actually bought one for my Wife to test on her M2, Thunderhill 3/6. Lets see how it goes! I bought a suction cup for the camera so it is more portable. I may end up buying another base + camera to put in my car so I could just swap the Catalyst unit itself and switch driver profiles.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      02-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
E34nication
Private
Rep
Drives: 964/991/D90/G55/LX570

I’ve only used mine at one track day so far, but I’m a big fan. For the novice track day driver it’s ultra easy to use and provides some useful info without being overly complicated. The tablet is huge... which is good and bad... I put mine in the same location you did.

I also kept the solo2 dl in the car, but just to monitor temps easier.
Appreciate 1
redpriest2145.50
      02-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

If anyone else needs it,

I bought this suction cup mount for the Camera instead of the sticky tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN14VTR?psc=1
Appreciate 2
redpriest2145.50
CSBM52721.00
      02-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

amazing tool. Great review. Plus it's worth more than your car right? :LOL:
Attached Images

02-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #12
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
If anyone else needs it,

That's brilliant actually - I'm glad they make suction cups in these size. I hate the sticky ones because they always end up being ruined when you try to relocate them.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:35 PM   #13
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
If anyone else needs it,

That's brilliant actually - I'm glad they make suction cups in these size. I hate the sticky ones because they always end up being ruined when you try to relocate them.
Yup! I was looking into a more temporarily solution so we could switch between cars without too much fuss. It won't be ideal if both cars I'm switching between are at the same track day, but it's a start.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #14
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

redpriest Excellent review. Curious about a couple lines you took at chuckycheesewallawalla. I forget the turn numbers but the squiggly bits (technical term) after the short chute and before the back straight: Could you slow down there so you can get on the gas before or at the apex of the right hander before the back straight? Seems like a lot of lost opportunity for loud pedal time.

Also, on the banked 180: Did the Garmin have you come in low and stay low vs. a higher entry and an easier time getting to the apex on the back side?

I am horrible in feeling the car watching a video, but it seems like you need more front grip (or slower entry?) in a lot of the turns. Seemed like you had a lot of corner entry understeer but again, I can't tell all that well from my couch.

The Garmin seems like a killer app. What would be epic is if you could crowd source the data and overlay your line/times vs. hundreds/thousands of other users lines online. Clearly not apples to apples but you could have some identifying data like FWD/RWD/AWD, car type, mods, tires, etc.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 2
Exclusivs542.00
redpriest2145.50
      02-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #15
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Also, on the banked 180: Did the Garmin have you come in low and stay low vs. a higher entry and an easier time getting to the apex on the back side?

I am horrible in feeling the car watching a video, but it seems like you need more front grip (or slower entry?) in a lot of the turns. Seemed like you had a lot of corner entry understeer but again, I can't tell all that well from my couch.
The banked 180 is my lack of imagination, it can only do so much based on what you do, and I think I'll try your suggestion next time around. I'll try your suggestions in a few weeks when I'm back again - there is definitely time to make up.

I actually felt like I had way more front grip than rear - but I'm basically messing around with suspension settings trying to get the rear to keep up with the front.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #16
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Ya know, as cool as the Catalyst is, what I need is one that helps me successfully justify to my wife why I need a 992 GT3, and new speakers, and a new DAC. That would be useful tech.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4692.50
redpriest2145.50
fanatic11018.50
      03-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Ya know, as cool as the Catalyst is, what I need is one that helps me successfully justify to my wife why I need a 992 GT3, and new speakers, and a new DAC. That would be useful tech.
That's what this forum is for. For a small "appreciation fee" we can collectively agree to whatever you want or need to validate.
redpriest2145.50
Kelse921131.50
      03-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #18
'ringmeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if anyone is interested i'm going to post my Garmin Catalyst for sale in the classified. Used for literally two sessions. No issues with it, I actually think is a great tool, but i've lost interest in tracking and i'm selling off all my track stuff and the car eventually.
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      06-04-2023, 07:01 AM   #19
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

In an effort to improve my driving, I also purchased a Catalyst and agree with everything in redpriest's initial review (from 2 years ago). While I have driven other cars on track with coaching, the vast majority of my experience is on Lime Rock Park's autocross course which is a ~.6 mile circuit. The downside is that the only coaching offered was from outside the car, and I was looking for more direct, tangible feedback.

The feedback prompts weren't intrusive and were the right frequency (for me) to not be overwhelming or distracting. What I did find interesting is that for 1 corner in particular, the Garmin gave the complete opposite feedback from all the prior instruction I had received, specifically that on a 180* uphill turn I should stay tight to the inside (Garmin) as opposed to carrying more speed on a wider line (live 'coaching'). This seemed to be worth ~.3 seconds for me and overall I dropped .8 seconds on a 47 second lap. Perhaps the wide line is still 'correct' but I just don't drive it correctly to take advantage of the extra pace.

And while much of what was suggested improved my lap times, I wouldn't follow all of the Garmin's suggestions or opportunities. On one lap, approaching the finish line, I took a more direct path, which did get me to the finish line quicker (by a tenth or so), but completely ruined the following corner by much more than a tenth. On subsequent sessions, the Gamin suggested this more direct path as an 'opportunity', so I do think that you need to have some level of knowledge, but overall it is definitely helpful to know what works best for you as an individual.