BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

01-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

upright kit : installing and driving

I installed this kit on my track only E92 M3 with SPL arms(without R/C washers) and drove 10 session at the track for 2 days.

1. Features when installing
1) The production quality of this product is at the top level.
Areas that receive a lot of stress are reinforced than OEM.

However, there is one problem(?) that needs to be corrected.
The difference from OEM is that there is a thread in the hole to install the brake caliper mount. Because of this, I couldn't mount the bracket, so I deleted the thread by drilling.
After that, there was no problem with installing and using the caliper.

Except for this, everything was perfect.

2) When OEM lower arms were installed, the negative camber value decreased by min.0.2~max 0.4.
Previously, it was -3.4~-3.6, but after installing this product, -3.1~-3.2 were measured.
This is very normal. This is because the point where the lower arms are mounted is lower.
So, after removing the roll center correction washers (6mm) from the SPL arm and adjusting the length of the arm slightly longer than the oem,
I mounted it with this product instead of oem arms, then set the camber value to -3.5.

3) The difference in weight is about 500g (1.1lbs).

2. Features when driving

1) This product clearly showed a difference in tire wear.
Previously, the outside of the tire was worn more, but after installing this, the tire was worn relatively evenly.

2) the car's movement in the corner has definitely changed.
I'm currently driving with a 295-30-18 A052 square setup.
Unlike my expectations, while there are corners with increased understeer. But, There are also corners with reduced understeer.
Since the front grip has changed while driving, I think it will be necessary to change the suspension setup.

I will see if this increases the grip at the corner and has a positive effect on lap time with this upright kit.
Because the car's movement in the corner has changed a lot more than I thought.
Attached Images

2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 10
roastbeef11586.00
tsk941522.00
redpriest2147.00
b4hand661.00
///Mobbin1478.00
tlrid3r513.50
Kelse921131.50
      02-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Looks hot!! Good job and thanks for the pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
2) the car's movement in the corner has definitely changed.
I'm currently driving with a 295-30-18 A052 square setup.
Unlike my expectations, while there are corners with increased understeer. But, There are also corners with reduced understeer.
Thanks for posting about these uprights. Can you clarify the above comment? You're saying there are corners that have MORE understeer since these were installed? Which track did you attend and what corners had more understeer? Which ones had less understeer?
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      02-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

With the geometry changes of this knuckle, I would expect (all things equal) that you would experience more understeer in almost all situations. Not because this creates understeer, but because the car will have been setup around the inherent issues with the OEM geometry.

I would expect that you could go down in front swaybar stiffness and/or spring rate by a decent amount with these, because of the geometry change and resulting mechanical support at the contact patch.
      02-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Should need a little less static camber too.
      02-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Be interesting to hear more feedback, and get an idea of how much if any adjustment/correction the upright offers over the spl arms in a lowered car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have also installed these upright and experienced similar situations. Some corner felt more understeer and some a lot more oversteer. Since I didn't know exactly how the car will behave I had left all previous setup the same to prior installing the upright.
I spoke with Strom Motorsport and they recommended more rear camber. I'm also going to try less front bar. My last track day was too short to dial everything. First 2 session was getting a feel and last 2 was adjustments.

I wonder if the car would benefit from correcting the roll center at the rear since the front was addressed.
Any option out there for rear roll center correction.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #8
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
I have also installed these upright and experienced similar situations. Some corner felt more understeer and some a lot more oversteer. Since I didn't know exactly how the car will behave I had left all previous setup the same to prior installing the upright.
I spoke with Strom Motorsport and they recommended more rear camber. I'm also going to try less front bar. My last track day was too short to dial everything. First 2 session was getting a feel and last 2 was adjustments.

I wonder if the car would benefit from correcting the roll center at the rear since the front was addressed.
Schirmer, mk rennsport, or Millway (who I went with) for rear RC, BS and camber correction.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post

Schirmer, mk rennsport, or Millway (who I went with) for rear RC, BS and camber correction.
Thank you. I like the MK and Millway options. Can you share more details on those option. What you felt, install or pros and cons.

Thanks
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #10
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Millway seems to be great quality, replaceable sphericals if/when they start to get some play and the cost is literally half of the MK stuff. Bonus it's Swedish along with the ohlins dedicated track I'm just waiting to get installed.

I'll get back to you on what I notice from them once I get to the track to wring it all out.
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      04-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #11
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

I'm interested to hear the results of the rear rc correction. From my understanding, there is not much to be gained as the roll center is less affected by suspension height, and camber is gained in compression. Time will tell!
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      05-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Posted this is the other upright thread but figured I'd post here as well.

Does anyone here that's replaced their uprights with these storm units have the stock ones they'd be willing to sell? I need a set of stock M3 front spindles/uprights for a different project. If anyone has a pair they sell me for a decent price let me know!

Edit: Got some!

Last edited by tsk94; 05-11-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0