BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Octane short shifter from eas, thoughts?

Hey fella's,

I'm thinking about getting the Octane short shifter from eas. They give a great description and details about it and its quality.

But before I pull the trigger on it, I'd like all your thoughts/inputs/experiances in installation, quality, application and everything else.

I'll be installing it myself so what special tools, tricks, and things do I need to know and look for.

Also, how will this affect the BMW warrenty on the transmission? Can or could it cause any drive train issues?

Thanks,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I am curious as well. I bought one but have yet to install it. I was told it would void the warranty on the trans.
      08-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM3 View Post
I am curious as well. I bought one but have yet to install it. I was told it would void the warranty on the trans.
Time to find a new dealership.
      08-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Time to find a new dealership.
My dealer wouldn't even install my springs, which turned out to be a good thing. Found a great indy mechanic, BMW factory trained and 30 years experience. He installed my Eibach Pro kit today and is calling the BMW rep for me to confirm no warranty issue with the shifter I got from you Nate.
      08-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
My dealer wouldn't even install my springs, which turned out to be a good thing. Found a great indy mechanic, BMW factory trained and 30 years experience. He installed my Eibach Pro kit today and is calling the BMW rep for me to confirm no warranty issue with the shifter I got from you Nate.
My local BMW dealership installs RE SSK's here in IL. It comes down to building a good relationship with your SA
      08-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
My local BMW dealership installs RE SSK's here in IL. It comes down to building a good relationship with your SA
I work directly with the Service Manager and he refuses to install any non OEM parts. Kind of sucks because they are close, but the Indy shop is great
      08-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

BMW Legally cannot void warranties just because you have an aftermarket part on the car... But if that part causes any damage to another part of the car still under factory warranty, sure they can void that specific warranty, but they cannot void the WHOLE car's warranty. So for example, if you put something on your car like for example an exhaust, and one of the hangers broke off and hit part of your rear suspension, they will not cover your warranty on your suspension.

Hopefully that makes sense, but to get the full legal mumbo jumbo, check out the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act. I would say get the SSK, it made our E92 M3 feel much better. Easier shifts, less time going through gears, and it makes driving in traffic a lot easier if that's what you experience on a day to day basis as well.

PM me for pricing
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
BMW Legally cannot void warranties just because you have an aftermarket part on the car... But if that part causes any damage to another part of the car still under factory warranty, sure they can void that specific warranty, but they cannot void the WHOLE car's warranty. So for example, if you put something on your car like for example an exhaust, and one of the hangers broke off and hit part of your rear suspension, they will not cover your warranty on your suspension.

Hopefully that makes sense, but to get the full legal mumbo jumbo, check out the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act. I would say get the SSK, it made our E92 M3 feel much better. Easier shifts, less time going through gears, and it makes driving in traffic a lot easier if that's what you experience on a day to day basis as well.

PM me for pricing
Call BMWNA as I did today. They do not void the warranty on the entire car, however if you have any transmission issues they will "more than likely be blamed on the after market shifter" and the warranty repair may not be warranty. So if your trans blows up, don't count on BMW fixing it on their dime. I also had the local rep called today and he confirmed the exact same thing.
      08-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Call BMWNA as I did today. They do not void the warranty on the entire car, however if you have any transmission issues they will "more than likely be blamed on the after market shifter" and the warranty repair may not be warranty. So if your trans blows up, don't count on BMW fixing it on their dime. I also had the local rep called today and he confirmed the exact same thing.
Sorry, that's what I meant by specific warranty, meant to say that specific parts warranty, or whatever can be associated with it.

All dealers are different though... I had a customer come in the other day who said his service manager said that he would void his WHOLE suspension warranty if he put aftermarket wheels on his car... The dealer I take mine to, doesn't even care that I have full exhaust on my car, that a check engine light is on because I don't have cats let alone the few other things I have on (including the Rogue Short shift kit).

But also note, the dealership has to prove BEYOND a shadow of a doubt, that the short shift kit (in this instance) was the sole reason behind the transmission blowing. Also note, that in all my years of modding cars and being involved with aftermarket parts, I've never seen a short shift kit ruin a transmission in the car, especially with parts from Rogue.

So at least you'll have peace of mind when you put that SSK in your car
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Sorry, that's what I meant by specific warranty, meant to say that specific parts warranty, or whatever can be associated with it.

All dealers are different though... I had a customer come in the other day who said his service manager said that he would void his WHOLE suspension warranty if he put aftermarket wheels on his car... The dealer I take mine to, doesn't even care that I have full exhaust on my car, that a check engine light is on because I don't have cats let alone the few other things I have on (including the Rogue Short shift kit).

But also note, the dealership has to prove BEYOND a shadow of a doubt, that the short shift kit (in this instance) was the sole reason behind the transmission blowing. Also note, that in all my years of modding cars and being involved with aftermarket parts, I've never seen a short shift kit ruin a transmission in the car, especially with parts from Rogue.

So at least you'll have peace of mind when you put that SSK in your car
I understood what you meant, just wanted it to be clear for others......

It is all about the Dealer and how much they want to be a stickler for the rules. I only have one BMW Dealer near me and they are sticklers. Wheels are not an issue and a slip on exhaust is not an issue but that is as far as they go. As far as them proving the issue was caused by the after market part you are 100% correct, it is on them to prove that. I just see it that if they have to prove it they are going to take forever getting you your car back because they are going to dig and dig until they can't anymore hoping that they find some sort of proof or abuse so they can make you pay. I have the shifter and fully intend to get it installed. If the trans blows I know there is a real chance I will end up paying, but I understand I have to pay to play.
      08-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

SSKs are prone to increased gear grinding, so M&M wouldn't mean squat; that's why both Porsche and BMW stopped installing them at the factory. Whoever installs one, better assume they no longer have tranny warranty. And to legally fight BMW would likely cost more than a new tranny. Plus 9 out of 10 jurors probably would't be into modding, so odds are totally against driver in such lawsuits (ECU tuning is another example). And even if removed, BMW would know one was installed. But yes, everything else would still be covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
SSKs are prone to increased gear grinding, so M&M wouldn't mean squat; that's why both Porsche and BMW stopped installing them at the factory. Whoever installs one, better assume they no longer have tranny warranty. And to legally fight BMW would likely cost more than a new tranny. Plus 9 out of 10 jurors probably would't be into modding, so odds are totally against driver in such lawsuits (ECU tuning is another example). And even if removed, BMW would know one was installed. But yes, everything else would still be covered.
How would they know that one was installed? I had grinding on my car before I installed my ssk and I still do. How do they increase gear grind?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Properly designed and installed SSK are not prone to increasing gear grinding. Shitty, or inexperienced, drivers are...and that goes for rushing stock shifts or SSK shifts.

1st to 2nd requires a hesitation on this tranny. 4th to 5th is physically long and can be awkward if taken at the wrong angle. Other than that, if you are grinding, it means there is something up with the tranny, fluid level, clutch, etc...or you simply screwed up the timing. Most transmissions will also grind if you shift too aggressively before they are up to temp.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Good info fella's,

I might have to give this some thought. I'm sure the probability of a SSK doing damage is minimul, but that would be my luck.
Appreciate 0