BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #45
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Awesome, eagerly awaiting the results.

Did you order new OEM enclosures to modify or did you cut up the factory ones?
I cut out the plastic ribs inside the enclosure to allow the SWS-8 to be fully installed without any gasket.

This mod is totally reversible as the OEM connectors were replaced/combined with Molex connectors and the silicone can be cut and the SWS-8 removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #46
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshozx View Post
What amp are you using to drive these?
I'll be using a PDX 4.150 in 3-channel mode for these pair of SWS-8, with a undecided trunk sub. A PDX4.100 will drive the rest of the OEM 4" component and coaxial sets (they are 4 ohms). I don't feel that they need replacement at all, just a custom tuning.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #47
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I'll be using a PDX 4.150 in 3-channel mode for these pair of SWS-8, with a undecided trunk sub. A PDX4.100 will drive the rest of the OEM 4" component and coaxial sets (they are 4 ohms). I don't feel that they need replacement at all, just a custom tuning.
So you're using these as midbass drivers not subs. How do you think they would work out as strictly subs? I know it's would be hard to say until how hook up an aftermarket amp but that's what I had in mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #48
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
So you're using these as midbass drivers not subs. How do you think they would work out as strictly subs? I know it's would be hard to say until how hook up an aftermarket amp but that's what I had in mind.
In my previous installation I had those SWS-8 set from 35Hz to 250Hz, so they can "mimic" a small sub very well. There is distortion/complaints below 35Hz...

My plan is to do the same in this Premium Audio setup, and let the 4" drivers handle everything above 250Hz. The center speaker will be filtered by a CDT CenterStage CS-256 crossover at 500Hz @-11db connected in parallel with the front speakers. I want less center speaker "presence" than what the OEM amp processing is doing now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #49
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

Is there any speakers other than the sws8s that can b used under the seat as deep subs so that I won't have to put nething in the trunk?
      10-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #50
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I'd be very interested in install pics when you swap out the amp for the 2 sws subs. I am assuming that you will have to run new wiring for the amp.

did you re-affix the sub covers under the seat? If so, how so that the sws travel does not hit it?

In the past I have just thrown in a 10" JL wedge with a JL monobloc amp to give better low end, but if these SWS 8s are adding a little more umph I'd much rather keep the trunk space and OEM look.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #51
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_dot View Post
Is there any speakers other than the sws8s that can b used under the seat as deep subs so that I won't have to put nething in the trunk?
So far, any other shallow sub will require, in the best case a deeply modified OEM enclosure, or a completely custom enclosure in the worst case.

IMO, the SWS-8 in the OEM enclosure -when properly driven by an 150W RMS per channel aftermarket amp- is the best compromise and OEM solution. It really goes deeper and stronger in the bass notes as it seems that it fully take advantage of the OEM enclosure door sill ducts with its longer throw cone movement. Even driven with the Premium OEM amp the sound/bass difference is immediate.

Earthquake already came up with a 2 ohms SWS-8 for direct replacement of the standard/base M3 sound system, so I hope that it is just a matter of time that they also can come up with a direct-replacement 7 ohms version for the Enhanced Premium Sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #52
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
a) I'd be very interested in install pics when you swap out the amp for the 2 sws subs. I am assuming that you will have to run new wiring for the amp.

b) did you re-affix the sub covers under the seat? If so, how so that the sws travel does not hit it?

In the past I have just thrown in a 10" JL wedge with a JL monobloc amp to give better low end, but c) if these SWS 8s are adding a little more umph I'd much rather keep the trunk space and OEM look.
a) The OEM amp in the Enhnced Premium Audio cannot be replaced, as it is a digital inputs amp. So what I'm doing is using a Cleansweep and summing module to recreate and de-EQ the OEM amp output signal and then use a DQXS processor to create my own, separate EQ curves for the front, rear, underseat woofers and undetermined trunk sub before hitting the PDX amps.

Personally, I don't like at all so many D/A conversions, but there is no way so far in the USA to change the outputs of the OEM HU/iDrive CCC from digital to analog, as it can be done in Europe, to be able to totally bypass the OEM amp and its filtering and processing.

b) I did not re-install the covers because of that reason.

c) I'm sure that there will be more and stronger bass in the SWS-8 once I power them with the PDX 4.150 and tune them with the DQXS. For the OEM look, up to 3 PDX amps can be stacked (with a custom-made bracket) on top of the OEM amp when the OEM CD changer trunk trim is used. The CD Changer access door is conveniently positioned to have access to all the gain/filter control of all 3 posible PDX amps.

So done right, no aftermarket equipment will be visible in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #53
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
a) The OEM amp in the Enhnced Premium Audio cannot be replaced, as it is a digital inputs amp. So what I'm doing is using a Cleansweep and summing module to recreate and de-EQ the OEM amp output signal and then use a DQXS processor to create my own, separate EQ curves for the front, rear, underseat woofers and undetermined trunk sub before hitting the PDX amps.

Personally, I don't like at all so many D/A conversions, but there is no way so far in the USA to change the outputs of the OEM HU/iDrive CCC from digital to analog, as it can be done in Europe, to be able to totally bypass the OEM amp and its filtering and processing.

b) I did not re-install the covers because of that reason.

c) I'm sure that there will be more and stronger bass in the SWS-8 once I power them with the PDX 4.150 and tune them with the DQXS. For the OEM look, up to 3 PDX amps can be stacked (with a custom-made bracket) on top of the OEM amp when the OEM CD changer trunk trim is used. The CD Changer access door is conveniently positioned to have access to all the gain/filter control of all 3 posible PDX amps.

So done right, no aftermarket equipment will be visible in the trunk.

Well im totally lost so I hope u will have a full DIY after this all said and done cause i need to upgrade my sounds asap.
      10-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #54
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_dot View Post
Well im totally lost so I hope u will have a full DIY after this all said and done cause i need to upgrade my sounds asap.
+1 LOL
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0