BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-04-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Effective wing recommendations E92 M3.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what y’all think the best application for a rear wing would be? Not going for looks, I’m actually wanting some real added downforce. I’m for sure a novice on track but I am getting way more confident and comfortable in my track days. I am not knowledgeable on attack angle and proper setup but I do think I would want adjustment there though. I know there are threads and I am going through them picking up information but I’d like to see some opinions based off use and maybe some pics of your applications if ya got’em. Thanx in advance!
      02-05-2023, 03:05 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The easy solution is a big APR wing with less angle. Other options are Zebulon and Aeromotions.
      02-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
The easy solution is a big APR wing with less angle. Other options are Zebulon and Aeromotions.
Thank you!
      02-05-2023, 05:59 PM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Thank you!
I’d think on this one. Your car looks (beautiful), but fairly stock? You’ll get more out of a bucket seat and harness than aero.

One of those wings will require a balancing splitter. Definitely will kill street manners.
      02-05-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I’d think on this one. Your car looks (beautiful), but fairly stock? You’ll get more out of a bucket seat and harness than aero.

One of those wings will require a balancing splitter. Definitely will kill street manners.
I was thinking of picking up a carbon trunk for the wing. I wanted to put a disconnect on the trunk wire so I can remove while regular street driving. That way the wing is on the carbon trunk and I can put my stock one back on fairly easy. I have a splitter now. It’s about 3” off the ground with brake ducts. Again I’m not ripping like the people around me but I am carrying my speed well and I want a lil more plant in the rear. A seat with harness is in my plans as well. Thanx for the recommendations.
      02-05-2023, 06:52 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
But what does the aero enable? Higher speeds in corners, stability for the first part of brake zone assuming you’re able to brake hard (tire and brake dependent), maybe stability in floaty sections on the track.

All things that will be tossing you around at greater propensity on the oem seats.

Also, still doesn’t address the balanced front. You’ll just introduce a ton of understeer.
      02-05-2023, 07:01 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
But what does the aero enable? Higher speeds in corners, stability for the first part of brake zone assuming you’re able to brake hard (tire and brake dependent), maybe stability in floaty sections on the track.

All things that will be tossing you around at greater propensity on the oem seats.

Also, still doesn’t address the balanced front. You’ll just introduce a ton of understeer.
Yeah I understand what your saying. I did notice a difference with the lip on my last 3 days. At speeds above 70 or so turn in feels more stable but I almost feel like the front is getting a little bit my rear is getting nothing new. Hard braking sometimes feels fishy at turn in and I thought a wing might mitigate some of that. Think a couple flicks on the front with the lip would help at all or no?
      02-05-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

What tires do you have? I just went full functioning Aero this year, chassis mounted splitter and wing. The problem now is that I am not up to the cars level. I have the aero feeling pretty balanced, but there's still more time left in the car and it's on me and trusting the aero.

I'd say get the 9lives wing, its very effective and pretty cheap with lots of upgrades, but I'd recommend seats and harnesses before that for sure. That was the biggest change for on track feel that I did, and it was so worth it.
      02-06-2023, 12:31 AM   #9
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
What tires do you have? I just went full functioning Aero this year, chassis mounted splitter and wing. The problem now is that I am not up to the cars level. I have the aero feeling pretty balanced, but there's still more time left in the car and it's on me and trusting the aero.

I'd say get the 9lives wing, its very effective and pretty cheap with lots of upgrades, but I'd recommend seats and harnesses before that for sure. That was the biggest change for on track feel that I did, and it was so worth it.
Yeah I agree on the seat but I guess I didn’t place it so high on the overall improvement list as much as safety. I do admit there are times when shifting around does steal a little physical attention from the task at hand. I appreciate everyone’s info on that though. Makes total sense and I might have to change my focus here.