BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #67
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
bimmergixxer's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Railside Performance

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Seriously though keep the M car as a change up on days when u miss the sounds of an air and gas fed engine and exhaust.
OR
If the sound and feel of that magical NA V8 doesn't truly pull at your heart and soul then go ahead sell the M3 now.
__________________
E92 M3 Manual , E71 X6
R8 V10 Manual
Ducati Streetfighter 1098
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #68
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
321
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: M town

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
It all comes down to opportunity cost. And as such, there are a few aspects.

If driving the M3 still holds thrill and excitement, there's your opportunity. The cost is the proceeds you could invest and gain yearly returns. Keeping it purely for monetary purpose is simply not a good idea. But if the vehicle evokes emotion, that's a very powerful thing that perhaps can not be matched by numbers in a bank account.

Keep in mind, buying a car is a lot like dating. At first you go through the "honeymoon stage" where everything is just perfect. You fall in love. Once in love, things may progress and become stagnant, where things just feel normal. Right now you are in the "honeymoon phase" with your Tesla.

When you first bought your M3 I bet you felt like it was the most incredible machine, every drive put a smile on your face. After some time, it becomes normal. The same thing will happen with the Tesla. As this new technology progresses -- faster, better looking, and more advanced electric cars will enter the market and you will soon get bored of the Tesla. At that point, will you miss the M3?

Just some food for thought. Whatever you may choose, you can't really go wrong. Congrats on the Tesla!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #69
Adrian g.
First Lieutenant
Adrian g.'s Avatar
150
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: ///M x 2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (10)

My wife has been driving a Model S for the last few years, and while it is a great daily, it is sooooo boring to drive compared to my e92. Keep both.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #70
GORDON.M3
Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
752
Rep
2,097
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (8)

If I had to sell my M3 for a Tesla it would have to be a 100D.
The Model 3 sucks, the interior is like an entry-level Korean car.
Sure it feels great to drive, the torque is instantaneous but the car is just damn ugly.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH | CSF | IND | BILSTEIN
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #71
m3jala
Captain
500
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tysons Corner, VA

iTrader: (0)

Keep the e93. It's your summer convertible.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #72
Bimmer Barney
Captain
Bimmer Barney's Avatar
305
Rep
875
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Sell the ugly, lame Tesla and drive the M3. Also feel good knowing you aren't contributing the the future problem of battery disposal.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 DCT ZCP Slicktop
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #73
Richbot
Brigadier General
1821
Rep
4,970
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Derp

- you have the same volume of oil disposal (recycling really, see below) to deal with on an M3, plus low value lead acid batteries that are not particularly attractive to recycle because lead is cheap, as is sulfuric acid;

- gasoline vapor (look up what causes smog - nox plus stray (mostly from vehicle refueling and incomplete combustion and imperfect HC catalysis) hydrocarbons

- exporting emissions to power stations far away from population is a good thing for human health even if you’re using coal, and in CA, you’re mostly not;

- lifepo battery recycling is economically viable and happening now; and,

- Tesla batteries already reach 200,000 miles in fleet use, and that's the old design
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 10-09-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #74
neilum
First Lieutenant
366
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.

I found this thread because I am also thinking of moving on from my M3. The reasoning for me is more about my lifestyle, and almost always staying within 5 miles of my house for my transportation needs and thus an EV makes a ton of sense.

At the end of the day it boils down to a Tesla being an immensely better daily driver compared to an M3 but an M3 being more fun, and alive.

I am really on the fence because I always really been very meh on EV's, but they are the future and its becoming really obvious faster than I thought.

From a pure a--->b transportation EV's are a complete homerun for so many reasons I can't begin to list, and its this honest realization of my logical self thatis eating at me. I know the induction motor is superior to ICE, and its (way) more economical, reliable, responsive, durable, efficient, more tractable (torque all the time), etc etc etc.... I have a house with a garage so charging is a slam dunk, no emissions, no $60 fill ups, no or very little maintenance, way more tech.

I may be parting from ICE sooner than later but no rush, I want to see how resale and servicing is on these EV's first before I make the move.

Last edited by neilum; 02-09-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y1278.00

      02-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #75
akkando
Brigadier General
3089
Rep
4,172
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmmac View Post
I wouldn't sell it but then again I never would have bought an electric car. Call me old school but they have no character and to be honest are simply downright ugly. The lack of exhaust sound would drive me crazy.
Looks better than BMWs latest designs for g series and the new m235 GC.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #76
akkando
Brigadier General
3089
Rep
4,172
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.

I found this thread because I am also thinking of moving on from my M3. The reasoning for me is more about my lifestyle, and almost always staying within 5 miles of my house for my transportation needs and thus an EV makes a ton of sense.

At the end of the day it boils down to a Tesla being an immensely better daily driver compared to an M3 but an M3 being more fun, and alive.

I am really on the fence because I always really been very meh on EV's, but they are the future and its becoming really obvious faster than I thought.

From a pure a--->b transportation EV's are a complete homerun for so many reasons I can't begin to list, and its this honest realization of my logical self thatis eating at me. I know the induction motor is superior to ICE, and its (way) more economical, reliable, responsive, durable, efficient, more tractable (torque all the time), etc etc etc.... I have a house with a garage so charging is a slam dunk, no emissions, no $60 fill ups, no or very little maintenance, way more tech.

I may be parting from ICE sooner than later but no rush, I want to see how resale and servicing is on these EV's first before I make the move.
You may want to lease an electric vehicle because the technology is moving so fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #77
New2Roundel
Captain
285
Rep
669
Posts

Drives: Some fun stuff
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.
My opinion on EVs is that they're strictly local, A-B cars. Other than MAYBE the Taycan, they really aren't designed for a compelling driving experience. I don't feel that the overall EV infrastructure is great either. So, with that, I'd be happy to get into a small AWD EV SUV with ~200 miles of range to drive around town. I wouldn't pay more than $30k for one however---and that's before any rebates. I keep reading from various auto execs that batteries are getting cheaper. Maybe. But the EVs themselves are still too expensive for what I'm looking for. So I don't hate or dislike EVs, but if I was to buy one now, they would have a very narrow use for me. I would not spend the money on a Tesla at this point in time.

In my theoretical garage, I'd have an EV for strictly local driving, a gas sports car for performance driving and vehicular engagement, and some type of gas or hybrid for regular driving outside of the just local errand running. So yeah, I do see a place in my life for EVs, but right now, it's pretty limited.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #78
e90335e36m3
Second Lieutenant
186
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: 19 M4CS; 14 Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Thinking of a Model 3 as a DD in the next few years.

I'd sell the E93. I think it will continue to depreciate irrespective of the trajectory of the car market. Very few, low mileage E9x cars will appreciate. I don't think yours will because it's a convertible, so why lose money on something that is not as fun to drive as what you're driving now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:22 AM   #79
GORDON.M3
Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
752
Rep
2,097
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Thinking of a Model 3 as a DD in the next few years.

I'd sell the E93. I think it will continue to depreciate irrespective of the trajectory of the car market. Very few, low mileage E9x cars will appreciate. I don't think yours will because it's a convertible, so why lose money on something that is not as fun to drive as what you're driving now.
Why even sell it? E93s are not worth much, enjoy it as a summer car and buy another car to replace its daily duties.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH | CSF | IND | BILSTEIN
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow4114.50

      02-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #80
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
6253
Rep
9,998
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.
i wouldn't put much weight on what other people think about this. having an electric vehicle is very much a personal decision.
for example, i drive an electric smart car. there is NO tech. i make it to work and back with 5-15% charge left (it has about a 60 mile range, but i'm almost all highway which significantly reduces range). most people can't fit this car into their routine- too long of a drive and too long to charge, it only seats two, very little cargo area, etc. it would not be a good primary car for most people. i wouldn't be able to have it as my only car, it just so happens to fit into my routine perfectly and i can daily drive it and have my other vehicles as backup. i spend less on everything. the money i save on fuel, maintenance, and tires pays for this car from a balance sheet perspective. its literally free transportation.

most people will come up with lots of reasons why an electric car (or my car) won't work for them. most of the reasons are irrational, misguided thought process, or simply based on myths. you need to drive one and figure out if it works for you. having an electric car paired with a sports car is the perfect combo.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #81
neilum
First Lieutenant
366
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i wouldn't put much weight on what other people think about this. having an electric vehicle is very much a personal decision.
for example, i drive an electric smart car. there is NO tech. i make it to work and back with 5-15% charge left (it has about a 60 mile range, but i'm almost all highway which significantly reduces range). most people can't fit this car into their routine- too long of a drive and too long to charge, it only seats two, very little cargo area, etc. it would not be a good primary car for most people. i wouldn't be able to have it as my only car, it just so happens to fit into my routine perfectly and i can daily drive it and have my other vehicles as backup. i spend less on everything. the money i save on fuel, maintenance, and tires pays for this car from a balance sheet perspective. its literally free transportation.

most people will come up with lots of reasons why an electric car (or my car) won't work for them. most of the reasons are irrational, misguided thought process, or simply based on myths. you need to drive one and figure out if it works for you. having an electric car paired with a sports car is the perfect combo.
Oh, I'm buying an EV probably a Y soon but I was curious to hear other people's plans or thoughts are on the subject as we all in this forum drive a truly special, rare car but one that is living in the past with a better way of getting around staring us all right in the face.

I plan on keeping the M for now but one day my practical logical side will win this internal debate as its very clear to me EV's are the future.

The general public will come around slowly but it will happen once more people really get behind the wheel and try it. The arguments I hear are typically revolving around an inconvenient situation that would occur about 1% of the time as their rational not to buy a an EV.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #82
Richbot
Brigadier General
1821
Rep
4,970
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (5)

Wish they would let you reserve a 7-seat Model Y. I'd have one reserved right now. It's everything I want from the W211 AMG wagon I've been hunting, without the downsides
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST