BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #23
peter de la mare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Intrax 1K2 are very good.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I'm considering selling my MCS 2WNR that are only a year old if you are interested. I would include springs 600/900 and a set of ground control street camber plates and be within your budget.

If you daily your car though I might look elsewhere. I am looking to daily my car again and am considering Bilstein Damptronics. The MCS have been phenomenal on track but I don't enjoy them on the street as much.
What about them has been less great on the street? Just generally high spring rates or harsh dampening, or noise and such?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower15 View Post
I'm getting AST 5200 soon, currently have Ohlin's R/T. I'll be writing a review on once I get some miles on them.
Are you getting the true rear coilover or getting adaptors for the standard setup with springs/shock?
Let us know how you like them too!

Quote:
I'm considering selling my MCS 2WNR that are only a year old if you are interested. I would include springs 600/900 and a set of ground control street camber plates and be within your budget.

If you daily your car though I might look elsewhere. I am looking to daily my car again and am considering Bilstein Damptronics. The MCS have been phenomenal on track but I don't enjoy them on the street as much.
It's my daily driver. Those spring rates are a little stiffer than I'd like. Someone is selling a set of springs in the private sale section.
I have the same question as above regarding why you don't like them for the street?
Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #26
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
What about them has been less great on the street? Just generally high spring rates or harsh dampening, or noise and such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I have the same question as above regarding why you don't like them for the street?
Thanks.
So it's a combination of the harsh spring rates (which may be solvable) and the noise levels. Just keep in mind that the design point of the MCS dampers is track performance and racing. For a track focused street car I think it's acceptable but for a car I daily my personal preference is to go for a softer and quieter setup. Some people daily this setup, SYT_Shadow for example, so don't let me dissuade you if you really want to go that route. I also have a particularly long commute on harsh roads which factors in. If I had a 3 mile commute I might stick with the MCS setup and throw in some softer springs.

And actually if I eventually convert my car into a dedicated track car, which I may do at some point, then I will probably buy MCS 3-ways. Big fan of the product. I also appreciate what it is designed for and what my street/comfort tolerance levels are.
      03-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
So it's a combination of the harsh spring rates (which may be solvable) and the noise levels. Just keep in mind that the design point of the MCS dampers is track performance and racing. For a track focused street car I think it's acceptable but for a car I daily my personal preference is to go for a softer and quieter setup. Some people daily this setup, SYT_Shadow for example, so don't let me dissuade you if you really want to go that route. I also have a particularly long commute on harsh roads which factors in. If I had a 3 mile commute I might stick with the MCS setup and throw in some softer springs.

And actually if I eventually convert my car into a dedicated track car, which I may do at some point, then I will probably buy MCS 3-ways. Big fan of the product. I also appreciate what it is designed for and what my street/comfort tolerance levels are.
Noise - FYI, MCS has been working to address the noise caused by the valve closing on the 2WNRs. I've been told they've addressed it and have been using the fix for months.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 03-04-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #28
///MPower15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Are you getting the true rear coilover or getting adaptors for the standard setup with springs/shock?
Let us know how you like them too!
I'm getting true rear coilovers.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

Answering the question of why track suspensions aren't nice for the street:
-
One factor is noise. You're moving from suspension top mounts and perches that have rubber to full metal on metal contact.
The suspension itself also makes some noise
-Spring rates. I run 700/1000. It's not brutal, but it's not cushy like the stock ride.

That said, I find the 3W to be a better street suspension than the 2WNR I also have. The 3W is almost completely silent in operation and retains excellent body control even when you soften the settings.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00
aus891.50
      03-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
MCS 1WNR and 2WNR both fall within your budget. I had the 2WNRs on my f82 M4 until I upgraded to the 2WR. The 2WNR is an excellent street and track suspension option. Great street manners even with higher spring rates.

The AST 5200 is $4k, not $5k. Also, you can request a non-coilover rear setup. However, AST has just started re-selling suspensions in the US after stopping for a few years - they had reliably issues previously.

The Nitron R1 is another great one-way adjustable suspension option or, if you raise your budget to $5k, the R3 is an awesome option and it's three-way adjustable. Non-coilover rear setups are an option.
Where can I get AST 5200 with springs/plates for $4,000?
I maybe able to use my current plates and rear springs.
I'm not sold on the external reservoirs; they look bad ass, but seems like extra trouble I won't make use of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If OP wants JRZ I can sell my JRZ RS to him.

After like 1 street mile they are rattle buckets. Seriously WTF

Removed them and swapped to a MCS 3WR on one car and MCS 2WNR on the other and haven't looked back
Did you contact JRZ about fixing them? I remember there were issues with them when they first came out. My buddy has the RS-Pro's with external reservoirs and likes them a lot. They're 2 way system is right in my price range and I like that you can select spring rates.

There seems to be a big hole in this price range ($3,000-4,000) other than the KW ClubSports and the JRZ for a 2 way system all in with plates and springs.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 12:55 AM   #31
///MPower15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I'm not sold on the external reservoirs; they look bad ass, but seems like extra trouble I won't make use of.
AST 5200 come with springs and camber plates and you can choose true rear coilover or not. I saw that AST recently increased all of their prices, the 5200 used to have a $4k MSRP. If you are interested in AST I can give you the info of my shop who I ordered through.

I don't think the external reservoirs are too much more work, but I'll find that out when install time comes around.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Did you contact JRZ about fixing them? I remember there were issues with them when they first came out. My buddy has the RS-Pro's with external reservoirs and likes them a lot. They're 2 way system is right in my price range and I like that you can select spring rates.

There seems to be a big hole in this price range ($3,000-4,000) other than the KW ClubSports and the JRZ for a 2 way system all in with plates and springs.
There was nothing 'wrong' with them. They had just come from Olsen Motorsports which is the premier JRZ rebuilder. I called Olsen to verify they had indeed rebuilt them.

I used them for 2 weekends and took them off the car. I'm selling them cheap.

Just like what happened with Koni's in my E46M, JRZ is blacklisted in my mind.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #33
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Turner Motorsports

The F strut is an inverted strut so the reservoir is attached to the top of the damper (i.e., comes out of the camber plate). Painless to install. The reservoir on the R dampers isn't difficult to install - pop out side vents in the trunk, slip reservoirs thru, make a notch in each vent for the reservoir hose, reinstall the side vents.
Appreciate 2
aus891.50
      03-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #34
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

If you don't like noise from the springs interfacing with each other on the coilovers get the Delrin thrust sheets. Swift makes them for sure but I know there are others.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
If you don't like noise from the springs interfacing with each other on the coilovers get the Delrin thrust sheets. Swift makes them for sure but I know there are others.
Yeah, Bimmerworld uses this now and I have it on both MCS cars
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      03-26-2018, 01:14 AM   #36
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was able to talk to someone at AST at a Euro meet this weekend. They have 3 E9x there, one race car and one street car and both on their rear true coilover suspension. He was very confident there is no issue with running a true coilover in the rear without any reinforcement. They have many cars running them. He even knew the E36 and E46 rear shock mounts are weak and would need reinforcement.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I was able to talk to someone at AST at a Euro meet this weekend. They have 3 E9x there, one race car and one street car and both on their rear true coilover suspension. He was very confident there is no issue with running a true coilover in the rear without any reinforcement. They have many cars running them. He even knew the E36 and E46 rear shock mounts are weak and would need reinforcement.
I remember people successfully doing true rear coilovers without reinforcing on the e46 which has sheet metal made of playdough

I still didn't do a true rear coilover on the e92
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      10-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #38
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

FYI, APEX is having a group buy on JRZ coilovers for 20% off if enough are purchased.

https://www.gangup.com/apex/jrz-rs-e9x-e82-q3-2018.html
Appreciate 0