BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-07-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 M3 6MT

I have a catless exhaust with a double x-pipe setup leading to stock resonanators and muffler. My X-pipe is placed high up towards the headers. I have been experiencing this raspy/rattling sound at 2-3k rpm’s then after it sounds good, any clues? Really bummed about this but I like everything else when I’m at high rpm’s.
I don’t want to lose the sound as far as volume goes but I believe I need to add resonators despite having them on my car?Next step would be a different muffler system which I am not sure would be best for the exotic sound I am going for?
Here are some audio clips:

The first one you’ll hear this raspy sound in the very beginning, almost like a catless hemi as bad as that sounds. Be sure to hear me before I go WOT.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rTuq2aE4Ji0?feature=share

Second one is fine, rasp is not bad in idle when revving

https://youtube.com/shorts/_edpCO13Uig?feature=share

This is the video I was trying to replicate despite not having a muffler system like his displayed in the video:

https://youtu.be/O6CXTjlYe74
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticM3 View Post
I have a catless exhaust with a double x-pipe setup leading to stock resonanators and muffler. My X-pipe is placed high up towards the headers. I have been experiencing this raspy/rattling sound at 2-3k rpm’s then after it sounds good. Really bummed about this but I like everything else when I’m at high rpm’s.
I don’t want to lose the sound as far as volume goes but I believe I need to add resonators despite having them on my car. Next step would be a different muffler system which I am not sure would be best for the exotic sound I am going for.
Here are some audio clips:

The first one you’ll hear this raspy sound in the very beginning, almost like a catless hemi as bad as that sounds. Be sure to hear me before I go WOT.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rTuq2aE4Ji0?feature=share

Second one is fine, rasp is not bad in idle when revving

https://youtube.com/shorts/_edpCO13Uig?feature=share

This is the video I was trying to replicate despite not having a muffler system like his displayed in the video:

https://youtu.be/O6CXTjlYe74
Where you going to ask a question in there orrrr?

I have no idea what you are trying to obtain or if you are asking to change x-pipes or do we know why it rasps orrr….

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #3
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DukeofAlexandria how to minimize the rasp, I gave a pretty lengthy description of what I was asking for.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 03:01 AM   #4
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Generally questions include question marks. I don’t see any in your post.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 07:24 AM   #5
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
DukeofAlexandria how to minimize the rasp, I gave a pretty lengthy description of what I was asking for.
Point me specifically to where in your post you asked a question.

You made statements about things, and general observations.

You even stated you were going to add resonators to reduce rasp. So again, no actual questions just a statement that is what you were going to do.

X-pipes will usually include/introduce rasp; ESPECIALLY catless systems. Now dependent on what make you have (the ONE piece of info that could help us!)it could be a small amount of rasp, vs ungodly like some manufacturers. Also, you said "double x-pipe"; wtf do you mean? Are you talking about a double helix setup orrrr? If you are, that would be a huge part of your rasp but I don't know what are are trying to describe there.

If you think it's bad now, adding any after market muffler to it will make it unbearably louder and raspier. Your suggestion of adding baffles/resonators would be your best option, or changing out to a different x-pipe. Because you didn't give us the make of the x-pipe (again, wtf) I can't tell if it's a race type or standard catless or what. Some manufacturers have a bunch of names for different types and how they build them: a la challenger/RKP.

Give us specifics about the xpipe, actual questions, and we'll be glad to answer.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #6
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DukeofAlexandria Honestly take it down a notch buddy.

I attached an image of the x-pipe. It’s a double X-pipe, so imagine you take and xpipe that’s placed towards the headers and add the stock one with no cats to it. It’s “fully” CATLESS. The video “if you watched it” shows the setup I did except the aftermarket resonators and muffler. Tips on how to reduce raspiness is what I was asking for since I obviously didn’t want it to be raspy as much as it is already.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #7
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
DukeofAlexandria Honestly take it down a notch buddy.

I attached an image of the x-pipe. It’s a double X-pipe, so imagine you take and xpipe that’s placed towards the headers and add the stock one with no cats to it. It’s “fully” CATLESS. The video “if you watched it” shows the setup I did except the aftermarket resonators and muffler. Tips on how to reduce raspiness is what I was asking for since I obviously didn’t want it to be raspy as much as it is already.
Yeah, so a double helix like I mentioned.

Why would remove a cat and then put in another x-pipe for resistance again? Also, you're either catless or not.

But I watched the last video fully….

Flex tube exhaust, eBay valves, and he cut his plenum open and put filters on his trumpets….

I'm fucking out, good luck if that's who you're trying to emulate.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #8
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DukeofAlexandria thanks for finally leaving the post, you were of no help anyways. If I wanted to be b*tched at I would have said so, but that clearly wasn’t a question in my post
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
bstone801
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine e90 M3 slick stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
Point me specifically to where in your post you asked a question.

You made statements about things, and general observations.

You even stated you were going to add resonators to reduce rasp. So again, no actual questions just a statement that is what you were going to do.

X-pipes will usually include/introduce rasp; ESPECIALLY catless systems. Now dependent on what make you have (the ONE piece of info that could help us!)it could be a small amount of rasp, vs ungodly like some manufacturers. Also, you said "double x-pipe"; wtf do you mean? Are you talking about a double helix setup orrrr? If you are, that would be a huge part of your rasp but I don't know what are are trying to describe there.

If you think it's bad now, adding any after market muffler to it will make it unbearably louder and raspier. Your suggestion of adding baffles/resonators would be your best option, or changing out to a different x-pipe. Because you didn't give us the make of the x-pipe (again, wtf) I can't tell if it's a race type or standard catless or what. Some manufacturers have a bunch of names for different types and how they build them: a la challenger/RKP.

Give us specifics about the xpipe, actual questions, and we'll be glad to answer.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:51 AM   #10
Scythe17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2010 M3 E93 6 Speed

Garage List
So I am no expert by any means, but I have learned that how far the X-pipe is from the header/collector determines where in the rpm range it is most effective.

For example, my setup with Bomiz Race midsection and valvetronic rear has the X pipe closer to the headers than other exhaust midsections, this means there is less drone down low in the RPM range. You can talk quietly over the idle, and while cruising it is really round and tame but doesn't drone, at 63mph in 6th gear you can whisper over it even though it is completely catless and straight piped.

The point is, where you put the x-pipe, resonators, and muffler can affect drone and rasp. These have equal length headers with true duals (4-1 collector) stock which makes it not have that rumble of something like an LS. So the pulses are pretty evenly spaced to begin with, likely you shouldn't need more than one x-pipe, but for the specific sound you are looking for, you have the freedom to do whatever sounds good.

If you are running 2 x-pipes it is possible the distance between them is causing a strange spot where the pulses are clashing down at 2-3k rpm.

I would also just be sure that isn't just from bogging down low or just that you have a crack or weak spot in your plenum where it is flexing with the speed and pressure of the air, could be induction causing that and not exhaust.

Hope this helps with some ideas on what it could be!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]

Huh