BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #1
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Considering NBT evo retrofit

Due to the issues with the mr12volt unit, I'm looking at alternatives, namely a full blown NBT EVO retrofit. NBT EVO supports wired and wireless carplay.

Looking at the retrofit kits, unless I'm completely mistaken, doesn't seem dramatically more complicated than putting in one of these carplay boxes to begin with. Many of the steps are the same.

From what I gather, there would be a quadlock adapter harness, an interface adapter box I would have to hide, harness run to the new idrive controller, and a cable run to the factory mic, all of which are identical to most carplay boxes.

In addition to that- I'd have to eliminate the combox, install the new head unit, screen, and run the new display cable to the screen. Doesnt seem like a whole lot more, especially now that I have a far greater understanding of this system from my adventures with the mr12volt unit.

My question is about what functionality is lost by doing the retrofit? In combing old threads, It seems like the M mode settings only allow you to select 3 levels of DCT shift speed, as newer cars only had 3 levels as opposed to 6. Other than that- I'm not aware of any drawbacks.

Anybody else been down this road and can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:39 AM   #2
tonynguyen
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

I did this to my 6MT and now I can not adjust the M button behavior, such as Sport or Sport plus, EDC mode. In Evo M setting, all is disabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:35 AM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Due to the issues with the mr12volt unit, I'm looking at alternatives, namely a full blown NBT EVO retrofit. NBT EVO supports wired and wireless carplay.

Looking at the retrofit kits, unless I'm completely mistaken, doesn't seem dramatically more complicated than putting in one of these carplay boxes to begin with. Many of the steps are the same.

From what I gather, there would be a quadlock adapter harness, an interface adapter box I would have to hide, harness run to the new idrive controller, and a cable run to the factory mic, all of which are identical to most carplay boxes.

In addition to that- I'd have to eliminate the combox, install the new head unit, screen, and run the new display cable to the screen. Doesnt seem like a whole lot more, especially now that I have a far greater understanding of this system from my adventures with the mr12volt unit.

My question is about what functionality is lost by doing the retrofit? In combing old threads, It seems like the M mode settings only allow you to select 3 levels of DCT shift speed, as newer cars only had 3 levels as opposed to 6. Other than that- I'm not aware of any drawbacks.

Anybody else been down this road and can chime in?
When done properly you dont lose any functions, I have NBT evo in my car and I can control the MDM settings and MDM memory.

NBT EVO absolutely blows CIC out of the water as there is no replacement the abilities of NBT evo especially when coupled with carplay. The best part of NBT is everything is basically contained to the unit no need for a combox or mulf or anything of that sort. The wifi antennas go under the dash and you can use a OEM type back up camera on NBT without a TRSVC module.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

an NBT Evo retrofit will probably cost 5x-10x the price of the 12volt unit.

Of course NBT Evo is better, it's newer and that is how tech works.

It's cool and definitely impressive to me, just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #5
drwankel
Major
Rep

Absolutely aware of the cost difference. The car will be a lifer, and as such getting a fully sorted solution is extremely important to me. Cost appears to be around ~$1500 for a NBT conversion to ~$2500 for NBT EVO

There's a few other points that are making me consider NBT EVO as an upgrade path:
  • CIC navigation map updates appear to be done. I'm a big fan of OEM navigation. My attitude may change on this front with a sorted carplay solution.
  • NBT + supports FLAC audio at high bit rates (24 bit 96khz)
  • NBT EVO can directly use the factory MIC
  • Better system integration with carplay, instead of the hijack the signal approach that the adapter boxes use.

I actually prefer the NBT interface compared to NBT evo- but the carplay situation on NBT is identical to CIC/CCC (need an adapter box, and everyone is using AUX audio)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

What's wrong with the $500 android unit? I have it and I love it. Has the newest BMW interface which looks cool but is completely worthless and a back up camera which is great. I have waze and can download every app on the Google store. Installed in about an hour or 2
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:27 PM   #7
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
What's wrong with the $500 android unit? I have it and I love it. Has the newest BMW interface which looks cool but is completely worthless and a back up camera which is great. I have waze and can download every app on the Google store. Installed in about an hour or 2
There are so many of these out there, hard to tell which is good, and 0 documented guides to walk the user on how to actually install it. Even the vendors selling them, have half ass instructions.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post

Every other option besides the mr12volt box has the same problem. Aux audio.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:55 PM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Every other option besides the mr12volt box has the same problem. Aux audio.
I have A mr12V system in my dads 535. It’s not good but it’s also not bad, being aftermarket with a stand-alone camera there are some kinks. For the purpose in that 535 it gets the job done, IMO I would Never put it into my M3 just because of the fact that you run a fiber optic signal through this thing and CAN which if something goes wrong with it you’ll be chasing a CAN or fiber optic signal for a issue for a real long time.
Appreciate 1
derbo3611.50
      06-17-2022, 04:43 AM   #10
jaeyon
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
When done properly you dont lose any functions, I have NBT evo in my car and I can control the MDM settings and MDM memory.

NBT EVO absolutely blows CIC out of the water as there is no replacement the abilities of NBT evo especially when coupled with carplay. The best part of NBT is everything is basically contained to the unit no need for a combox or mulf or anything of that sort. The wifi antennas go under the dash and you can use a OEM type back up camera on NBT without a TRSVC module.

Hi how did you retain MDM with the nbt evo? I've got an NBT evo in my E90m3 and can't get the MDM to work with the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have NBT Evo in my daily driver F30. It works pretty good.

But the extra cost of adding it to a E90/92 is way too much for the benefit of having it. All the places that I see kits for sale have a "Ask" price and the few DIY guides are pretty vague.

I just use bluetooth audio and mount my phone to the dash for navigation. The phone is always updated and never out of date. The audio is not as good as a direct optical connection but way better than aux-in audio.
      07-18-2023, 03:34 PM   #12
treishu
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeyon View Post
Hi how did you retain MDM with the nbt evo? I've got an NBT evo in my E90m3 and can't get the MDM to work with the retrofit.
Hi,
did you ever get an answer or figure out the solution?
Appreciate 0