BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Strange instrument cluster issue

I have had an electrical issue that has been driving me crazy for too long now. The center part of the display where you can toggle between the different functions like time/temp, speed, oil level, etc. just cycles through on its own. It seemed like a sticky stalk control so I swapped out the entire stalk system and slip ring (a fairly easy process) and the new one does it too. As it cycles through it sometimes changes settings like the date and time all by itself.

When I first start the car it acts completely normal until the car warms up and then it has a mind of its own. I watched the battery voltage on my P3 gauge and it does not show any spikes or drops when it starts cycling. All of the other gauges work perfectly with no issues or other lights. There were a few times where it would say Electrical System Failure and everything still worked except cruise control but that has not happened in months. I could be wrong but I think it all started when I took the car in to the dealer for a recall - not the battery cable but a different one. I replaced the end of the battery cable myself years ago with the DIY here.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

I have the same problem! Did you end up resolving it?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Unfortunately no - it still does it and I have no idea why.
Appreciate 0