BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

08-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Just to update this thread. The dealer could not diagnose the problem because it was intermittent. Every time I went, they could not reproduce the problem.

I tried replacing the subwoofers with upgraded ghost subs... which did not solve my problem. My stock subwoofers looked fine. No broken speaker cables like some people have seen.

What I ended up doing was replacing the amplifier and that solved the problem. Somehow all channels worked except the subwoofer channels. Also, there's many different models of EPS (Individual Audio) amplifiers so I went through a few used amps before I found one that worked without re-wiring or coding. The newer EPS amps would work, but you need to re-pin the plugs and add new connectors to make it work. I ordered a new amp from the dealer but they were not able to give me the wiring diagram and a step by step on how to re-wire the harness and code the amp. They could do it for me and it was not cheap.

Since the amps are out of production, I had to rely on eBay and I'd pick up an amp when one showed up every few years. Real OEM helped as it had a list of which parts were directly compatible.

Anyway, happy my subwoofers finally work after 8 years of it not working.

Going on 12 years of happy ownership and still enjoying the M3!
      08-27-2020, 01:50 AM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Good lord u went all this time with no subs? Glad u finally got it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Good lord u went all this time with no subs? Glad u finally got it sorted!
When I had the new car warranty, I tried to get it covered but they could not figure it out. After the warranty expired, I just lived with it as I only drive the car once a month or so.
      03-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Just to update this thread. The dealer could not diagnose the problem because it was intermittent. Every time I went, they could not reproduce the problem.

I tried replacing the subwoofers with upgraded ghost subs... which did not solve my problem. My stock subwoofers looked fine. No broken speaker cables like some people have seen.

What I ended up doing was replacing the amplifier and that solved the problem. Somehow all channels worked except the subwoofer channels. Also, there's many different models of EPS (Individual Audio) amplifiers so I went through a few used amps before I found one that worked without re-wiring or coding. The newer EPS amps would work, but you need to re-pin the plugs and add new connectors to make it work. I ordered a new amp from the dealer but they were not able to give me the wiring diagram and a step by step on how to re-wire the harness and code the amp. They could do it for me and it was not cheap.

Since the amps are out of production, I had to rely on eBay and I'd pick up an amp when one showed up every few years. Real OEM helped as it had a list of which parts were directly compatible.

Anyway, happy my subwoofers finally work after 8 years of it not working.

Going on 12 years of happy ownership and still enjoying the M3!
Man I have a similar issue today, had water leak damage it though and now my sub on left front just makes popping and screeching noise. If I max the volume it muffles it out but still...

I'm in the opposite boat I think, I have the new amp with 3 separate plugs.

OP did you get an amp that matched part number on the the M3 diagram or no? I see a lot of similar looking amps with my same plugs but from a BMW X3 for example, much cheaper, not sure if it would work.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #27
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Man I have a similar issue today, had water leak damage it though and now my sub on left front just makes popping and screeching noise. If I max the volume it muffles it out but still...

I'm in the opposite boat I think, I have the new amp with 3 separate plugs.

OP did you get an amp that matched part number on the the M3 diagram or no? I see a lot of similar looking amps with my same plugs but from a BMW X3 for example, much cheaper, not sure if it would work.
It has to be one that matches the part on your car. If you look on realoem, it has a list of ones that are directly compatible so those work as well.
      03-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It has to be one that matches the part on your car. If you look on realoem, it has a list of ones that are directly compatible so those work as well.
Damn alright, guess I'm back at the 700$ price range.
Appreciate 0