BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Nisfro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

How to identify a tune

Im looking at this e92 for sale and just learned from the PPI it has a aftermarket race headers and cat delete with stock muffler so rear o2 senors are still there. Also the inspector said the faults are being blocked which I suspect is some aftermarket tune. Im not familiar with tunes on these e9xs but is there some way to find out what is has? The guy said it bogs down until higher rpm and then gets going. Not sure if thats by design or something not done right with the modifications. I only test drove one of these (there are not many e9x m3s around here. Sadly EAG owns them all) and it was a DCT but I didnt notice any bogging.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

no possible way. most tuners require proof of purchase from original owner before they can re-tune. which seems like you wont be able to get. so you'll either pass on the car and find something else. or get a new tune yourself and enjoy it and deal with the headaches that might come up later.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Post up the car, if you can. Maybe someone on here will recognize it.
      09-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

It really shouldn't bog down in the lower RPMs until it gets going. Most tunes bring life to the motor especially in the lower RPMs. These cars stock are known to not hit peak torque until further up in the RPM range, but all the mods should make it more responsive. I'd talk to him and see about a burble tune being part of the aftermarket tune he purchased. A burble dumps raw fuel into the combustion chamber at certain times to make the sound and maybe coating the plugs with carbon, which maybe affecting their performance. Just a thought to consider. Burbles can burn up O2 sensors which can affect performance, but that's assuming he has a burble tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Nisfro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
It really shouldn't bog down in the lower RPMs until it gets going. Most tunes bring life to the motor especially in the lower RPMs. These cars stock are known to not hit peak torque until further up in the RPM range, but all the mods should make it more responsive. I'd talk to him and see about a burble tune being part of the aftermarket tune he purchased. A burble dumps raw fuel into the combustion chamber at certain times to make the sound and maybe coating the plugs with carbon, which maybe affecting their performance. Just a thought to consider. Burbles can burn up O2 sensors which can affect performance, but that's assuming he has a burble tune.
I thought it might have burble but I dont think the dealer would know that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Email all the big tuners your VIN and see if it pops up in their system.
      09-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisfro98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I thought it might have burble but I dont think the dealer would know that.
Take the car out and rev it past 4K and let off the gas and see if it burbles is a fun way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
R-35
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I don't know about engine tunes but you can tell if it has a GTS DCT tune because when you start the car it will always start in the automatic Drive (D) mode, instead of the paddle shifter mode.

Also engine tunes usually get rid of the bogging issue that happens at low RPMs, so if the car you drove bogs at low RPMs, chances are that it has no engine tune or maybe something else is wrong.
Appreciate 0