BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Side Safety Nets and Race Cars

Anyone running these in their car? Backstory, I spend all day at a computer with little to do but look up random stuff about cars, and I found myself exploring the safety hole.

I just finished instaling the back half cage in the car, and am running OMP buckets (non Halo)

Would these be worthwhile to invest in or are they only designed for Halo seats? All the pictures I'm seeing show them with Halo seats. The other hurdle would be where to mount the front of the net since I don't have any hard mounting points in the front half of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Recommendation: Ask yourself if you know of a HPDE incident where the side net would have changed the outcome or added safety relevant to the incident.

I'm not leading you to a conclusion - I've used this to make my own safety equipment decisions.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Recommendation: Ask yourself if you know of a HPDE incident where the side net would have changed the outcome or added safety relevant to the incident.

I'm not leading you to a conclusion - I've used this to make my own safety equipment decisions.
Definitely not. I definitely have a problem where I find something that's new to me (in this case side safety nets) and I want to learn as much as I can about it to find out if it's something that I should add to my setup. I honestly can't say that I've ever even seen anything but a fully prepped W2W race car running side safety nets. I typically talk to the safety equipment reps at the track days I attend, but between those events, I like to bounce ideas off the forums here when I can't find things related to my search elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0