BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-04-2020, 01:47 AM   #11925
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Hey, that's racing! What tire do you use now?
Exactly exactly. I mean i like R7 but going widebody this year and they’re so pricey when they’re 325s lol. You see the Hoosier close out sale going on? Selling Contis from the race series for hilariously cheap. Considering running those this year but need to make sure they’re not expired.
So you prefer the R7 to DH? I'm kind of getting tired of buying take-off DHs that baaaaarely last 5-6 20minute sessions (including rotating)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #11926
Jack14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
So you prefer the R7 to DH? I'm kind of getting tired of buying take-off DHs that baaaaarely last 5-6 20minute sessions (including rotating)
I had a set that lasted me a full weekend and had me really impressed. They definitely got a bit slower but never really fell off. I’ve also had a set that last 2 sessions and fell off hard (which they were designed to do for the racing series they were used in). R7 isn’t the longest lasting tire out there. Somewhere between a sprint and an enduro tire. Definitely more consistent than the DH though. You can pretty much run em to the chords. For that reason they’re certainly better for what we do.
Appreciate 1
Shmelgy443.50
      05-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #11927
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I like Hoosiers, because they are so transparent with their setup and design parameters and you can get a TON of useful help out of them if you just ask or even better, have a rep on-site as they often do at big events. You can set up the tire for a variety of priorities and it'll deliver, with compromise to some others. If you want a ballistic first session out of a set of fresh tires, it'll do that, but you don't get 12 awesome cycles afterwards if you pound the crap out of the first one.

You can bring it in easy on its first session and then have a longer plateau of excellent performance

Or you can run real low pressures to get more pace at the expense of wear, and it'll usually handle it

And it's very friendly at the limit

It's a company worth supporting, even if tthey're now under Conti's corporate wing
      05-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #11928
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Well, I had a super fun weekend Friday & Saturday at Hallett, it felt almost like CoVID didn't exist out there. Just everyone having fun with their cars. Watched some great SM and Legends races, my car's running well, and overall it was a fun mental health weekend. Even got to eat dinner out at a full service restaurant Friday night!

Main issue though that I started to have in August last year and now starting back up again with summer coming fast is cooling. Ambient temps were in the 80's in the afternoons and I've been pushing the car harder on sticky tires, so it's time to start looking into doing some added cooling. DCT shifts got a bit laggy a few times and just generally the car's just running hotter than I'd like to see.
I know do88 is the way to go... but ouch, their stuff is pricey and I'm a bit worried about shipping and importing right now. I've been hearing a lot right now about packages getting stuck in transit for weeks or longer. One guy had another e92 out there this weekend as well with the do88 kit and told me the import duties were pretty steep when he purchased it on top of it already being a pricey kit...

Are there any other alternatives out there?

Also, no lap videos yet as I haven't had time to pull and overlay the AiM data, but here's a link to a hairy moment Saturday thanks to an MGB who oiled down the track in front of me in T1 right after the out lap second session of the day...

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads

Last edited by Kelse92; 05-04-2020 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11581.50
kyippee1072.00
dparm3849.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      05-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #11929
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Went to Willow Springs for the first time this Saturday. Nice to be back out on track. Last event was at VIR in October of '19, and this track is sweep-ier and faster. Ran a 1:38.8 But that pavement is terrible. Didn't really expect that. Fun otherwise though.

Bartledoo2691.50
      05-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #11930
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Well, I had a super fun weekend Friday & Saturday at Hallett, it felt almost like CoVID didn't exist out there. Just everyone having fun with their cars. Watched some great SM and Legends races, my car's running well, and overall it was a fun mental health weekend. Even got to eat dinner out at a full service restaurant Friday night!

Main issue though that I started to have in August last year and now starting back up again with summer coming fast is cooling. Ambient temps were in the 80's in the afternoons and I've been pushing the car harder on sticky tires, so it's time to start looking into doing some added cooling. DCT shifts got a bit laggy a few times and just generally the car's just running hotter than I'd like to see.
I know do88 is the way to go... but ouch, their stuff is pricey and I'm a bit worried about shipping and importing right now. I've been hearing a lot right now about packages getting stuck in transit for weeks or longer. One guy had another e92 out there this weekend as well with the do88 kit and told me the import duties were pretty steep when he purchased it on top of it already being a pricey kit...

I did a lot of research on this and you can make an alternative. Using a quality Derale cooler with fan from Summit, all you need is an adapter plate like this https://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-e36-e4...tting-kit.html, and then some AN line. The DCT cooler is just the Oil cooler for the 335i. 335i guys put huge oil coolers on their cars, if you google you'll see. And you can also get some ideas for mounts. Some guys just bend some aluminum to make a bracket.

I am planning this using this cooler, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15660, and either a temperature switch or a toggle switch in the cab.
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      05-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #11931
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I'm back on street tires now. Because siding is more fun lol

Plus I don't even go anymore!!
      05-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #11932
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
Went to Willow Springs for the first time this Saturday. Nice to be back out on track. Last event was at VIR in October of '19, and this track is sweep-ier and faster. Ran a 1:38.8 But that pavement is terrible. Didn't really expect that. Fun otherwise though.

Gahh SG E90's on black wheels look so damn good.
      05-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #11933
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nice! Saw you out there but was keeping my distance with people. I got my new pb of 1:26.2 during the first advanced session, in traffic
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #11934
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the coolest damn thing i've seen in a long time.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reduction.html
      05-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #11935
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post

Also, no lap videos yet as I haven't had time to pull and overlay the AiM data, but here's a link to a hairy moment Saturday thanks to an MGB who oiled down the track in front of me in T1 right after the out lap second session of the day...

At some point in the near future I plan to remove my DO88 DCT cooler. My car has their full package installed by the previous owner and I'm not too sure why he did the trans cooler given that my car is 6MT. I noticed that even the OE cooler for 6MT has a block-off plate installed so even removing that alone opens up more cooling for 6MT without spending a $.

The only big downside is that the car also had a Harrop SC and the carbon shroud had to be trimmed in a few spots for the heat exchanger lines.

Not sure how big of a rush you are in but it's on my list to pull after I get past the really nice spring driving weather season. I'm in Georgia so summer will be here any minute and I won't care as much about putting the car on jackstands again.
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      05-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #11936
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

I also posted this in the engine section but figured I'd copy and paste here as this sub is pretty active and not sure you all visit all sub forums. I figure a few have maybe been down this road......

I picked up my M3 in October of last year and I'm starting to look at tuning options. I would ideally like to run test pipes and remove the OE primaries so that I can run a "Stage 2" tune that makes the most of this.

I live in Georgia and we have to do yearly emissions testing. Because Stage1 tune is for all stock I'm not too worried about it messing with my ability to pass. They don't actually do a tailpipe sniff test, just plug up to ODB and do some kind of scan that checks for readiness monitors. I believe we are allowed to have one fault here and still pass.

Due to the increase in power and overall ability for the engine to breathe better I would really like to remove the primary cats but I have some concern that in doing so and having a tune that really allows me to make the most of it means the car will end up in a state where I can't get the readiness monitors to set and therefore fail emissions. I'd like to find a solution that is more set it and forget it than having to yearly swap the xpipe and tune, then drive around to get readiness set only to have to go back as soon as I pass and re-install the test pipes and tune.

Has anyone been down this road? Am I asking too much here?

I realize I could swap stuff yearly but right now it's a headache I don't feel like dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #11937
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
I also posted this in the engine section but figured I'd copy and paste here as this sub is pretty active and not sure you all visit all sub forums. I figure a few have maybe been down this road......

I picked up my M3 in October of last year and I'm starting to look at tuning options. I would ideally like to run test pipes and remove the OE primaries so that I can run a "Stage 2" tune that makes the most of this.

I live in Georgia and we have to do yearly emissions testing. Because Stage1 tune is for all stock I'm not too worried about it messing with my ability to pass. They don't actually do a tailpipe sniff test, just plug up to ODB and do some kind of scan that checks for readiness monitors. I believe we are allowed to have one fault here and still pass.

Due to the increase in power and overall ability for the engine to breathe better I would really like to remove the primary cats but I have some concern that in doing so and having a tune that really allows me to make the most of it means the car will end up in a state where I can't get the readiness monitors to set and therefore fail emissions. I'd like to find a solution that is more set it and forget it than having to yearly swap the xpipe and tune, then drive around to get readiness set only to have to go back as soon as I pass and re-install the test pipes and tune.

Has anyone been down this road? Am I asking too much here?

I realize I could swap stuff yearly but right now it's a headache I don't feel like dealing with.
Catless with a stage 2 tune can pass. Not sure if all stage 2 tunes cause only one readiness failure, but mine does. Iirc only a readiness failure for the cat shows. If you just ask your preferred tune supplier how many readiness fails their stage 2 tune provides they may give you an answer. Just don't ask them if they can make you pass emissions with an illegal exhaust haha.
      05-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #11938
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Catless with a stage 2 tune can pass. Not sure if all stage 2 tunes cause only one readiness failure, but mine does. Iirc only a readiness failure for the cat shows. If you just ask your preferred tune supplier how many readiness fails their stage 2 tune provides they may give you an answer. Just don't ask them if they can make you pass emissions with an illegal exhaust haha.
This is what I'm wondering as well. I'm not looking to ask for anything illegal, just trying to get by within the limits so that I can avoid a yearly swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #11939
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:

oh wow
didn't realize any events were on in CA already

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #11940
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Quote:

oh wow
Speeddistrict has been holding events somehow for most of the lockdown. But there had been issues at willow springs with the sheriffs dept barring entry to the track until they verified that precautions were being taken. People in the paddock were pretty good about being safe I thought.
      05-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #11941
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh wow
Speeddistrict has been holding events somehow for most of the lockdown. But there had been issues at willow springs with the sheriffs dept barring entry to the track until they verified that precautions were being taken. People in the paddock were pretty good about being safe I thought.
50 people limit open track day is why speed district is holding events still
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #11942
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh wow
And willow springs makes us sign a "lease" with them for the day
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #11943
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh wow
And willow springs makes us sign a "lease" with them for the day
Which is definitely not a legal document. Or so I've heard.
      05-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #11944
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Stock ZCP suspension plus swift lowering springs.

Getting 18" EC-7's

What widths am I supposed to buy to have most tire options. I want to stay staggered. Apex recommends 9.5 and 10.5
      05-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #11945
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post

Getting 18" EC-7's

What widths am I supposed to buy to have most tire options. I want to stay staggered. Apex recommends 9.5 and 10.5
Square bro, truuuuuuust me
10 square and live your life imo
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11581.50
Bartledoo2691.50
Kelse921131.50
      05-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #11946
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post

Getting 18" EC-7's

Square bro, truuuuuuust me
10 square and live your life imo
I do like the idea of being able to rotate tires. Concerned about changing up the dynamics of the car. How many people in this thread are running square?