BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-18-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
e86nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Exhaust Setup Dilemma - Corsa Rear Section, but its not enough!

Hello!

I know this topic has been beat to death, but my setup is a bit different so thought it might be worth soliciting opinions.

I have a 2013 E92 Comp that is completely stock. I recently got a really good deal on a set of Corsa mufflers (300 bucks!) and while I like the sound, Im looking for a bit more volume and tone. For context, when I removed the stock muffler to install the corsa, I drove around for a day without the muffler to see what that would be like. Of course, anything below 4k rpm its unbearable - the drone, volume raspy-ness is atrocious. But over 5k RPM, it sounded absolutely mind blowing. Almost like a 458, which is crazy for a cross plan crank motor.

The corsa is great tone-wise but I'm looking for a little more volume and high rpm symphony. I'm also not too keen on doing like a bimmer-world x-pipe or any other catless x-pipe which would require a tune unless I have no other choice

My initial idea was purely to cut out the secondary cat and either weld a pipe in its place or a resonator. Any opinions on if that would help? Or any other thoughts in general? Thanks!

PS: this is a video of the M3 all stock without the rear muffler: https://youtube.com/shorts/iaWveTaaS7k?feature=share. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by e86nut; 11-18-2023 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Welcome to the world of trial and error!! You basically need to find the sweet spot to you by removing cats and likely adding resonators in either the primary, secondary cat locations, or both locations depending on your taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86nut View Post
I'm also not too keen on doing like a bimmer-world x-pipe or any other catless x-pipe which would require a tune unless I have no other choice
If you keep the X in the x-pipe in the factory location, it is not absolutely mandatory to get a tune if you go catless. You could make more power by getting a tune, but you definitely wont be slower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86nut View Post
My initial idea was purely to cut out the secondary cat and either weld a pipe in its place or a resonator. Any opinions on if that would help? Or any other thoughts in general
Removing secondary cats is one good place to start to add volume while still being emissions compliant and not having a check engine light on for "increased emissions." Getting rid of the cats is what is going to increase your volume the most, but at the expense of adding some rasp. Rasp isnt a bad thing as long as its "badass racecar rasp" and not obnoxious 350Z/G35/JDM 4cyl rasp.

Depending on your personal opinions of what resonators actually do (some say they tune unwanted noise out but do not affect the volume, some say they make the exhaust quieter and reduce unwanted high frequency noises), I think removing the secondary cats and replacing them with straight exhaust pipe is a good start but may not be enough increase for you.

Removing the primary cats and secondary cats and replacing with resonators will likely give you lots more volume with the least amount of rasp. I've seen several people rave about the "Six Resonator" x-pipe being great.

I personally have the Corsa axle back exhaust with just test pipes that remove the primary cats. It has great volume- its loud when you want it to be up top, sounds great when around town, but can also be quiet when cruising at light throttle. The possible downside are the addition of rasp and check engine light for emissions. I think the rasp is a really good rasp sound, but some disagree with any amount of rasp at all so

youtube.com/@thatwhitem4 if you want to listen to some in-car footage of my E92.
      11-21-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Honestly, test pipes is probably what you want. Yes you will need a tune if you want to remove the check engine light, but its not too big of a deal, plus other benefits. The secondary cats do a good enough job at removing the smell, and there is little to no rasp with this setup. (stock resonators remain)

I'm in the Seattle area, and that is the combo I am running. Corsa + test pipes. If you want to hear it in person we could arrange something. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Find a used Macht Schnell x pipe, and keep the stock x pipe in case you sell your car. A. you won't lose money on the MS x pipe if you ever choose to sell it, and you can revert back to stock if you choose to sell the car. Last, get a stage 2 tune. It is worth it for a lot of reasons discussed on the board.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 04:52 AM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

dont cut up your stock x pipe, any aftermarket x pipe will enhance the sound.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

My first and only exhaust i have owned on my e90 m3 is the megan racing with test pipes. I love it, but i was interested in the corsa only if it were at least as loud as the megan. has anyone here owned both with test pipes? That is the biggest con i have heard with the corsa is that it is on the more conservative less loud side, slightly louder than stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #7
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I have not owned a Megan Racing exhaust, but I can confirm that Corsa exhaust with a catless x-pipe is definitely loud (in a good way).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #8
e86nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Honestly, test pipes is probably what you want. Yes you will need a tune if you want to remove the check engine light, but its not too big of a deal, plus other benefits. The secondary cats do a good enough job at removing the smell, and there is little to no rasp with this setup. (stock resonators remain)

I'm in the Seattle area, and that is the combo I am running. Corsa + test pipes. If you want to hear it in person we could arrange something. Let me know.
DM'ed you!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'd keep the Corsa and get a full Eventuri plenum, intake and airbox.

I have a Dinan exhaust and with the Eventuri set up, I have no desire for a louder exhaust.
Appreciate 0