BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Ajeezy5
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Clunk/thud. Differential or clutch?

Hey guys, been trying to source this issue for awhile now. I’ve just been living with it but it’s high time I get to the bottom of it.

Car: 6speed e92 m3 2011 comp
Mileage: 132k

Symptoms: clutch chatter (which I know is somewhat normal) but if I don’t get a smooth enough disengagement of the clutch it will thud. So you can imagine going up a curb slowly where you have to engage and disengage a lot quickly can get brutal. If I don’t get the gear change perfect it will thud every gear change. If I’m cruising on the freeway, let off the throttle and get back on quickly the thud is most prevalent.

Being it’s a high mileage there are endless possibilities lol and there’s not a lot of other high mileage m3’s out there, yet. I’ve replaced the guibo, all the bushings/bearings in the driveline. I was set on the diff being bad but recent thoughts are pushing me towards the clutch since its 132k on factory clutch. I know of clutch failing symptoms but unfamiliar with the dual mass flywheel. Clutch doesn’t slip.

What’s your guys opinion? I’ve also read that the clutches in the diff on these cars could go bad. Thanks I’m advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
remi34000
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

it's the same for me ... to go crazy
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Mog-10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeezy5 View Post
Hey guys, been trying to source this issue for awhile now. I’ve just been living with it but it’s high time I get to the bottom of it.

Car: 6speed e92 m3 2011 comp
Mileage: 132k

Symptoms: clutch chatter (which I know is somewhat normal) but if I don’t get a smooth enough disengagement of the clutch it will thud. So you can imagine going up a curb slowly where you have to engage and disengage a lot quickly can get brutal. If I don’t get the gear change perfect it will thud every gear change. If I’m cruising on the freeway, let off the throttle and get back on quickly the thud is most prevalent.

Being it’s a high mileage there are endless possibilities lol and there’s not a lot of other high mileage m3’s out there, yet. I’ve replaced the guibo, all the bushings/bearings in the driveline. I was set on the diff being bad but recent thoughts are pushing me towards the clutch since its 132k on factory clutch. I know of clutch failing symptoms but unfamiliar with the dual mass flywheel. Clutch doesn’t slip.

What’s your guys opinion? I’ve also read that the clutches in the diff on these cars could go bad. Thanks I’m advance!
I have an 08 95k stock clutch, super 8.8 diff with 12k miles new one piece drive shaft and no quibo I am having the same problem. I have got under it and spun the drive shaft back and forth and I can hear the clunk/thud coming from somewhere inside the transmission. I do not have any slipping issues. When I turn the driveshaft back and forth their is a bit of slack along with the thud.

Last edited by Mog-10; 10-19-2021 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #4
Mjlevine
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i/m3

Any updates? 2010 86k miles 6mt thud happens mainly if I accelerate hard while cruising without rolling into it replaced the guibo and a diff support bolt that also held the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 04:49 AM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

a thud from a fast clutch engagement is likely the diff

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0