BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

01-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Better Alcantara than Sonax?

Hey Guys,

Wanting to restore my alcantara steering wheel, I have the Sonax but I'm not a fan of it. Seems more like it does it's job spot cleaning, but I'm looking to restore the fluff and feel and Sonax fails imo for that. I've used CG fabric clean with a mf and have liked it, but I still feel there's something else out there that can restore the softness even better. Suggestions?

Thanks
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Hey Guys,

Wanting to restore my alcantara steering wheel, I have the Sonax but I'm not a fan of it. Seems more like it does it's job spot cleaning, but I'm looking to restore the fluff and feel and Sonax fails imo for that. I've used CG fabric clean with a mf and have liked it, but I still feel there's something else out there that can restore the softness even better. Suggestions?

Thanks
Use the sonax as the instructions indicate, then you can go over it with a hand held steamer or hot water and a mf, you want to get the sonax/dirt grime out of the fibers as much as possible. After it dries, you can fluff it back up with a soft brush/toothbrush.
      01-23-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
Use the sonax as the instructions indicate, then you can go over it with a hand held steamer or hot water and a mf, you want to get the sonax/dirt grime out of the fibers as much as possible. After it dries, you can fluff it back up with a soft brush/toothbrush.
Thanks for the push, I changed my method up and am actually very pleased with the result as from before now.

Was putting the foam on a horsehair brush to apply and spread around before, couldn't get it around and deep enough evenly it was always splotchy to me. Now I put a bunch on a mf instead and gently rubbed in then went around the wheel with it, back and forth. Waited 10m then steamed another mf and rubbed clean with horsehair brush after. Really feels great, a fan of the steam more now too
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0