BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Squeaky brakes

HI all - picked up my M sedan today, the brakes are very skueky. Is this normal? The car only have a couple miles on it... tia !

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Do a search on this. Discussed many times.

It's normal. It will go away once the brakes are bed-in. Find an empty road and really get on the brakes 70mph-20mph about ten times without allowing them to cool down in between. Then drive around slowly and cool them down.
      07-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Do a search on this. Discussed many times.

It's normal. It will go away once the brakes are bed-in. Find an empty road and really get on the brakes 70mph-20mph about ten times without allowing them to cool down in between. Then drive around slowly and cool them down.
i did and they still squeak

again?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
i had the same problem. Mine used to squeak a lot as soon as I bought it. After abt 1300 miles, they are good now. Try the braking hard thing, it shud stop much sooner.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
IMO - I don't support bedding breaks in the way you noted/or suggested by aftermarket tuners... I have heard this isn't always the best option, even from some German engineers... and isn't this usually reserved for track set-up anyway.
The bedding procedure will indeed depend on pad compound. It is always possible that what I proposed above is not the most appropriate procedure for the stock compound. I researched this and could not get any specific info from the dealer and anyone else who knows about the stock compound. (They won't recommend doing something like what I suggested in the manual for safety/liability reasons). After speaking to a friend of mine who has a Mat Sci PhD, and hearing that the efficacy of the procedure is plausible, I executed the procedure at my own risk, and the noise almost completely disappeared after the procedure, and I've been beating up on the brakes pretty hard on the track with no issues. (Stock pads do lose some performance on the track toward the end of a session by the way for obvious reasons, so track pads are recommended there). So, I offer evidence in the context of n=1 in this case.
      07-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
i did and they still squeak

again?
Sounds like we've got n=2 now.

So, you didn't experience any difference in noise after things cooled down? You really got on the brakes, right? In theory, you should have a film of material deposited on your rotors. I don't know if you can check for that visually or not. Report back in a couple of weeks I'd say.
      07-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sounds like we've got n=2 now.

So, you didn't experience any difference in noise after things cooled down? You really got on the brakes, right? In theory, you should have a film of material deposited on your rotors. I don't know if you can check for that visually or not. Report back in a couple of weeks I'd say.
I didnt.
I did it as stated in the forum in the past: warming up the car breaking normaly going for a long straight line and accelerate to 60-70mph and break to 40/30/20/10/0 without periods between (accelerating normal cause the car is not broken in yet). I didnt exactly listend to the breaks after that but i noticed the squeaking yesterday sometimes while soft breaking.

May i repeat the procedure on the coming weekend and what should i look for?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I didnt.
I did it as stated in the forum in the past: warming up the car breaking normaly going for a long straight line and accelerate to 60-70mph and break to 40/30/20/10/0 without periods between (accelerating normal cause the car is not broken in yet). I didnt exactly listend to the breaks after that but i noticed the squeaking yesterday sometimes while soft breaking.

May i repeat the procedure on the coming weekend and what should i look for?
So, we really have n=1 then.

My understanding is that this won't work if you do not really get on the brakes, but not to the extent that you glaze the pads. Braking normally will not achieve anything different at this point; you are doing that when you are driving around anyway. Also, clarification: You should not come to a stop between the runs, and there is no need to accelerate quickly.

These instructions are similar to what I'm suggesting and seen at various other places:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

They do suggest that you should warm up the brakes first. Try it at your own risk...
      07-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

Bed the brakes, if done properly this should eliminate the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
So, we really have n=1 then.

My understanding is that this won't work if you do not really get on the brakes, but not to the extent that you glaze the pads. Braking normally will not achieve anything different at this point; you are doing that when you are driving around anyway. Also, clarification: You should not come to a stop between the runs, and there is no need to accelerate quickly.

These instructions are similar to what I'm suggesting and seen at various other places:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

They do suggest that you should warm up the brakes first. Try it at your own risk...
Thanks for the link Lucid

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Thanks for the link Lucid
If you follow the Stoptech link on the Zeckhausen link I posted, you'll see that they are recommending pretty much the same procedure for street performance pads, but doing 2 sets of 10 runs rather than just one set.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
      07-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Lucid, thanks for thei info and link
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Yep, normal problem.
      07-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have 4000 miles and they still squeek sometimes, not all the time, at slow stops. People tell me it's just something BMW owners have to deal w. A lot of people w the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

squeaky brakes?

I did as the manual says and have had no problems now at 3200 miles. At almost a .5mph or just before stoping I have heard a little squeak but nothing big to worry about. I have a '04 Saab 93 Aero and after a while, the original brakes at about 49,000 mile now squeak but I noticed that my driving technique is a bit different with the M3, on the Saab I brake softer/longer and with the M3, shorter and harder as if not worring about break wear. The Saab tech once told me, every once in a while romp on the brakes a few good times from higher speeds just like bedding them and it does work. He had mentioned that the brakes/disc get a bit glazed from normal brake use.

I did the run-in step down from about 70-20mph several times and let them cool, then do it again and have had no problem on the M3, but not sure if that was the proper method. I waited after the 300 mile run-in as the manual specifiys first though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

I Give Up On Mine!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

my M made people at the red light cover their ears. its loud, its horrible, its obnoxious, but idk i just abuse my breaks and slam on the all the time, i make the best of it i guess..

anyone still have this problem? im at 4600 miles almost.

called bmw north of america - said "take it in, show a foreman" i know thats a waste of time so whatever

let me know if theres any solutions by the dealer or antyhing please?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeor View Post
my M made people at the red light cover their ears. its loud, its horrible, its obnoxious, but idk i just abuse my breaks and slam on the all the time, i make the best of it i guess..

anyone still have this problem? im at 4600 miles almost.

called bmw north of america - said "take it in, show a foreman" i know thats a waste of time so whatever

let me know if theres any solutions by the dealer or antyhing please?
When they put new pads on my car I asked about the bed in procedure. The tech (I talked to him directly) said he takes the car out and beds them in properly. If you take it in, have them put on new pads and they should bed them for you.

For some reason I don't think the cars come from the factory with the pads bedded.
Appreciate 0