BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

12-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #177
schnellster
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, S54 MCoupe (previous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
The answer is "it all depends".. Depends upon how old the valve covers are and how much of the OEM paint is bubbling or peeling. Since the valve covers are magnesium, they are porous. The hot oil eventually soaks through the valve cover metal and starts to lift and bubble the OEM paint. Then oil leaks from under the bubbling paint.

IF your valve covers have very little paint peeling and bubbling then as Helmsman mentioned many people just do the gaskets and the bolts. See the DIY thread. I just had mine done and am now wishing I had paid the money for powder coat new ones from Vedubin01 because I can already see some seepage after less than 2K miles after valve cover gasket replacements.

According deansbimmer a portion of his customers *who don't get new valve covers installed* end up returning to his shop (after a while) to get the job done again due to leaks again. After 74K miles the OEM valve covers don't owe you anything IMO. So why not go ahead and replace them while you're in there? Just my two cents. You could also find a local shop to powder coat and refurbish your existing valve covers to save some money.
https://precision-sport.com/products...32457004875839
https://futureclassic.us/products/fu...alve-cover-set
Great feedback and confirms the route I should take...replace. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      12-09-2022, 04:54 AM   #178
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellster View Post
Super helpful info, this was not on my list but will be now!
The list never ends hey, sorry about that...
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      01-19-2023, 10:21 AM   #179
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Not contributing to the DIY other than to say this: New genuine BMW valve covers come dressed with gaskets, oil breathers, and bolts for about $1050 for the set if you can find a good sale. SEll the old ones to somebody wanting to powdercoat and you can offset that some. All you need is the Drei-Bond, spark plug tubes, and 4x cam position o-rings (13627796699)

It comes with new aluminum bolts for the breathers too, just have to reuse the cam sensor bolts or buy new if you like spending money, which you do if you bought new valvecovers.
Does anyone have the part number and quantity for the cam sensor bolts? I suspect mine may have started weeping again after the PO just replaced the gaskets, thinking about going this route and just ordering 2 new valve covers instead of replacing the gaskets and bolts/grommets.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak

Last edited by B8bydesign; 01-19-2023 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0