BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

12-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #23
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Ice we be around for awhile my
Friend. No need to rush 😉
True, but will it still be "good"?

About the gearing issues, the V12 doesn't even use 1st gear, it literally is unavailable unless you switch to manual and down shift into it. Even launch mode, it starts out in 2nd gear. It will down shift quickly with a throttle stab, but will cruise in the highest possible gear all the time. Damn fuel mileage rules
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #24
DM5PAV
Religious Truth Teller
Rep
Drives: Ď23 BMW M3CX, Ď22 Porsche 718

As to the gearing, I do not enjoy driving my cayman in the city or in traffic. I dislike it so much that I really try to avoid it. I wouldnít make a cayman my DD.

But, out on the back roads is where this car lives and breathes freely. Yes, youíll frequently be doing 105mph just exiting 4th and have to slow it down or hold steady (I donít need to go to redline to enjoy rowing gears), but when you have multiple stretches of road a mile or two long followed by some nice low mph turns and those repeat over and over, and when there is hardly ever a soul on them save yourself - well, then the cayman is great. Thatís maybe not the most common use case so I can see the complaints, but it works out for me.

It isnít just about constantly rowing the gears up though. For me, a lot of the joy of the manual is actually in ďbabysittingĒ the transmission, getting a perfect downshift is as fun and I get really bored driving a car that asks nothing of me, that always puts itself into the best gear and all I have to do is find a way to stay awake long enough to steer myself wherever Iím headed.

Itís no knock against autos, but thereís a reason that most people who drive their cars with no particular destination in mind prefer a manual, itís more fun.

I can honestly say I have never, that I can remember, driven an automatic just for the fun of driving. An auto is exactly what I want when I just have to get somewhere, or I need to go through heavy traffic, or I am in the city.

Different use cases.
I donít think that the long gearing is as much an issue as some say, but I admit I am using the car simply as a toy on roads that I pick out. If I had to dd it, I may agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Because it's a German car, geared for the Autobahn. I remember when I had my M Coupe and worked in Germany, I asked why I never saw them over there. The response was they were geared so redline in fifth was very nearly at 155mph, and no one wanted a car that made that much noise and ate that much gas on the AB.
BUT I HAVE 7 FUCKING GEARS. I understand 7th as a full blown loping freeway eater but 3rd through 5th needs to be way, way shorter. I want the sensation of flicking up and down through the gears but......... I exit in second, flick up to 3rd annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd i am at 140kmh, some 40kmh over the speed limit.
But 140kph is 110 below the normal governed speed for most German cars and the 718 isn't governed. So being able to have 4-6 be useful at over 200kph provides AB and track drivers a useful advantage over cars that are geared for only lower speeds with a huge overdrive. Plus you have a flat torque curve, so shifting is a bit redundant anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 02:35 AM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Because it's a German car, geared for the Autobahn. I remember when I had my M Coupe and worked in Germany, I asked why I never saw them over there. The response was they were geared so redline in fifth was very nearly at 155mph, and no one wanted a car that made that much noise and ate that much gas on the AB.
But BMW doesn't usually gear as tall. My M2C 6MT at 80 MPH is turning faster than I would prefer. Above 100 it's a lot of revs, it could really use a 7th, could get annoying if you were cruising there. My Z4M wasn't much different.
Appreciate 0