BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Talking 2020 718 Cayman GT4

Hi all!

I recently scored an hour in a 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4. I got to take it on highway, city and mountain roads. I know many of you love sports cars, so I thought I'd share my impressions! (My full write-up with more pictures is here.)

* The seat and suspension comfort in the GT4 (with Porsche's base sports seats) was better than I expected out of a motorsports-oriented Porsche. I was comfortable on the highway and would road trip the GT4. I also found the chassis confident on back roads. The GT4 holds its line over severe bumps.
* Having experienced the 911 GT3 engine, I was disappointed with the Cayman GT4 engine. Yes, the GT4 is a revver, but it's not as reactive or torquey as the GT3; I felt like it was missing the special sauce. The S65 V8 feels more reactive than the GT4's flat-6.
* Shifting the GT4 6-speed is bliss. This is one of the best manuals I've ever used!
* But the 6-speed's long gearing muffles some of the engine's punch. I like cars where the engine terrorizes the rear tires. The GT4 doesn't have the gearing or power to do that.
* The GT4 has incredibly informative steering, though it still talks with an EPAS accent. (I prefer the well-oiled slickness of a true hydraulic rack, but the GT4 EPAS is extraordinary and completely satisfying.)

I had a great day playing with the GT4. I'd be happy owning one! Please send money!

Best,
Mike

05-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Nice review! So how does the GT4 compare to our venerable E92 M3? Especially one with some mild suspension mods like solid subframe bushes and coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Nice review! So how does the GT4 compare to our venerable E92 M3? Especially one with some mild suspension mods like solid subframe bushes and coilovers.
Well, it's been a year since I sold my stock competition pack E90 on PS4S tires. So I'll be putting fuzzy memories against fresh ones. That said, here I go!

I think I prefer the fizz of the S65 engine to the GT4's flat-six; there is more excitement to the final RPM in the S65. Suspension-wise the GT4 is superior, and better able to deal with rough roads. I actually think my M3 had a better cabin than the GT4, but then again I had the extended red leather and this GT4 was in base cabin trim. The GT4 feels lighter and more race-ready (especially with respect to the brakes), and more agile, too. Money no object, I'd take the GT4. However, as a cheaper way to get the motorsport engine thrills, the E90 M3 is very compelling!
      05-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The GT4 in stock form is a great driving car but Porsche purposely gimped transmission gearing on the car to make it uncompetitive with the GT3. The long gearing makes it feel less powerful and not rev as fast.

The aftermarket has come and fixed it though. Changing the gearing completely changes the car.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/transmiss...oxster-SHAT464
      05-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The GT4 in stock form is a great driving car but Porsche purposely gimped transmission gearing on the car to make it uncompetitive with the GT3. The long gearing makes it feel less powerful and not rev as fast.

The aftermarket has come and fixed it though. Changing the gearing completely changes the car.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/transmiss...oxster-SHAT464
I was under the impression the long transmission ratios had to do with some sound regulations for full throttle in 3rd gear.

The gearset upgrade looks like the ticket! Too bad it's so dang expensive!
      11-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I just bought a 2020 GT4 a couple weeks ago and am now selling all of my "fun" M cars. E39 M5, E92 M3, and E46 M3 all going away. Every backroads/track oriented M car I own now feels wasted compared to a GT4. E92 is a great and special car but a GT4 is a top-notch purpose-built sports car, so it's really hard to compare them without the unfair advantage given to the GT4 since if you are even considering a GT4 in the first place, you're clearly interested in performance. We aren't having a discussion about daily driver cars, which M cars are well-suited for.

I've put 1000 miles on the GT4 now, and prior to purchasing this example (I bought it off of a friend), I drove it for a track day at Road America about 6 weeks ago right before they tore up the track for repaving. At the time I told my buddy "let me know if you decide to sell this" and 2 weeks later he called me so I bought it. Let's get the sound and gearing discussion out of the way next:

The S65 is nigh unbeatable for sound no matter what you are buying. Other cars like a Gt350's Voodoo might be on par, but "better" would be subjective at that point. There are several V8 engines that could be considered "peak" NA high revving sounds on par with each other. The last 1000 RPMs of the 4.0 in the 718 GT4 pulls very strong and sounds good. Something to understand is that the style of engine being a Porsche flat-6 NA is always going to give you a very mechanical noise, and a satisfying engine whine. The note is still very motorsport-inspired and with the engine right behind you inside the cabin you get so much of it.

Regarding gearing, to me the feel isn't much different than my 6MT S65 - the gearing in the S65 with a manual isn't all that great.

For me, I don't compare the cars in this manner because I enjoy breathing with the car as it climbs RPMs and listening to it. With an aftermarket backbox-only exhaust, the GT4 sounds incredible. I'm fine with some longer gearing and listening to the car climb RPM with such a measured pace that you can legitimately process what is happening and what you're hearing. If the car just rips through the gears, that has a benefit but it doesn't come without other compromises.

Road manners in the GT4 are as OP stated. It does not punish you and can definitely be driven on the street as needed. I still wouldn't daily drive it. It doesn't get very unsettled by bumps in the road, and the adaptive suspension is way less crashy than you might expect for a Porsche GT car. My wife has fused discs in her back and has had back problems for 18 years and is particular about seats - the carbon buckets in the GT4 are fine for her. Very comfortable once you get in. Still stiffer on the road that I would like and wouldn't make it my everyday car.

Everything else the OP is saying about the shifter, steering, all that is just top notch. Easily one of, if not the best manual shifters I have ever driven. It's crazy how perfect the throw is and the snicksnick is so satisfying. The mechanical click engagement of the shifter is so good.
      11-12-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

So what are you keeping as a practical car — back seat, useable trunk, etc? I can see giving up the 3 you are selling — none are GT4 substitutes; they are all significant compromises.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

This is how I felt when I drove an Evora GT with MCS suspension and some other suspension mods. The turn in makes the E92 feel like an Escalade; even with loads of camber and caster. But its not any faster in a straight line and the engine was not on the level of the S65. And at 100k I felt it was a bad ROI for money spent vs fun had. I dont spend much time at the track so I personally prefer my Harrop E92 over a Gt4 or a Lotus. If I tracked it more or had a better backroad to highway ratio I would have made the jump. But to buy a slower car that sounds worse wasnt enticing me. Hopefully one day I live in a place where I can enjoy a Gt4 style experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I struggle to believe the GT4's suspension + tire sizes make it feel more compliant over bumps or bad roads than virtually any BMW but maybe its much improved over my 2015 991.1. Even with a suspension controller and performance winter tires the 911 is way, way harsher than my BMW's (especially E90 M3 non-EDC) and I would reach for the Bimmers anytime I just want to relax.

No way I'd sell any daily driver BMW to just own a Porsche sports car as my only car but maybe I'm getting old. It has also been mentioned back seats and trunk space also being an advantage. When the roads get curvy though no question which car is better up to the task.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:22 AM   #10
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

He's keeping the e92 now but also has a '21 X5 Msport and I think he still has his Honda Element for the dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
So what are you keeping as a practical car — back seat, useable trunk, etc? I can see giving up the 3 you are selling — none are GT4 substitutes; they are all significant compromises.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #11
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I struggle to believe the GT4's suspension + tire sizes make it feel more compliant over bumps or bad roads than virtually any BMW but maybe its much improved over my 2015 991.1. Even with a suspension controller and performance winter tires the 911 is way, way harsher than my BMW's (especially E90 M3 non-EDC) and I would reach for the Bimmers anytime I just want to relax.

No way I'd sell any daily driver BMW to just own a Porsche sports car as my only car but maybe I'm getting old. It has also been mentioned back seats and trunk space also being an advantage. When the roads get curvy though no question which car is better up to the task.
I went for a ride in the GT4 and having ridden in i_love_cars e92 on Ohlins and daily driving my e90 on ST XTA3+ I can honestly say I was shocked at how well the GT4 handled bumps. It feels extremely compliant and dare I say, comfortable. I did not expect the combination of bucket seat and GT car to be as good as it was. It was a very dynamic ride because the moment he asked it to hold the road it did exactly that without beating you up on the way.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Took my E92 with suspension mods on Big Willow and was keeping up with a 3.8 GT4. I had to work hard, don't get me wrong but on track for a 20 min session the cars were basically even.

Now I'm sure the GT4 is a blast to drive and has great feel but for $100k on the used market, you are not getting something that is vastly superior in terms of HPDE performance.

2021 Camaro LT1 A10. the DD- Torque baby!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #13
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

I recently drove my buddies 2022 718 Boxster Spyder and the front end of that car is truly unbelievable. It is a true engineering marvel, the whole car.

However, the motor in that car is not more special than my S65. It's good, but if I had one complaint it was the motor was not on the level with the rest of the car. The suspension was unlike anything I have ever felt and I will own a Porsche Gt car soon enough but for now me e92 is just fine.

Dont get me wrong I would love a modern GT car like a gt4 or Spyder or gt3, but there's a reason why I still have my e92 for now, the s65 is right there...
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I recently drove my buddies 2022 718 Boxster Spyder and the front end of that car is truly unbelievable. It is a true engineering marvel, the whole car.

However, the motor in that car is not more special than my S65. It's good, but if I had one complaint it was the motor was not on the level with the rest of the car. The suspension was unlike anything I have ever felt and I will own a Porsche Gt car soon enough but for now me e92 is just fine.

Dont get me wrong I would love a modern GT car like a gt4 or Spyder or gt3, but there's a reason why I still have my e92 for now, the s65 is right there...
Yeah, in my experience you need the GT3 engine to match (beat?) the fizz of the S65.