BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #13707
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Hey guys, what are some tracks around the USA that offer arrive and drives or heck even some pace laps if I brought a rental car.

I am trying to check off some tracks around the USA. I know there are some arrive and drive exotic car programs like Xtreme Xperience, but what other low key options are there.

I forgot what the program was, but I remember one group would do a legit track day, but you could pay like X amount for 1 lap to get a "test" in, but that was pre-COVID and I dont remember seeing that in recent years. I know it wasn't Track Night in America, but I don't remember who it was.

Basically looking to see if I am on vacation somewhere in the USA within earshot of a track, what tracks out there would let me get a lap in to "check the box".
If we plan it right, you can take my junk around laguna seca for a session. One of my favorite tracks and general areas. Great food.
      09-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #13708
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Hey guys, what are some tracks around the USA that offer arrive and drives or heck even some pace laps if I brought a rental car.

Basically looking to see if I am on vacation somewhere in the USA within earshot of a track, what tracks out there would let me get a lap in to "check the box".
Eagles Canyon Raceway has a handful or Porsche's and I think now several M2c's that you can call-ahead and rent for one of their in house HPDE's called "Performance Driving Days" Just have to call ahead and ask Brad the track manager. Track is 60mi from Dallas if you wanted to come check out Texas some.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #13709
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Went back to Area 27 on Thursday and did a personal best of 2:32. Not fast by any mean, but overall pretty happy as it was only my 3rd time there. Had to dial it back a bit in the afternoon as it got really hot (38C). Which I think it was a good call because there were a few offs, one M3 clipped a wall which had to be towed home.

Also first time running video via GoPro with external mic and overlaid Solo 2 data via Race Render. Took awhile to sync it up, it was kind of pain to do.

Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      09-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #13710
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Went back to Area 27 on Thursday and did a personal best of 2:32. Not fast by any mean, but overall pretty happy as it was only my 3rd time there. Had to dial it back a bit in the afternoon as it got really hot (38C). Which I think it was a good call because there were a few offs, one M3 clipped a wall which had to be towed home.
That track looks super fun! Hope to make it up there someday.
      09-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #13711
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
That track looks super fun! Hope to make it up there someday.
It is a very fun track, and in a beautiful setting surrounded by vineyards.

It is more technical than the Ridge. Lots of elevation changes. Turn 7, 9 and 11 are completely blind and turn 11 also has a hump at the apex that really upsets the balance. My instructor told me to stay at least a foot off the inside curb and never try to correct if I spin, better to go wide and off track than into the wall. Lots of people lost their car on the wall at turn 11. A few corners also have camber, late apexes and double apex. The Area 27 academy instructor said the only "normal typical" corner they have is turn 8.

Only downsize to Area 27 is they are a membership track. Public can only go there 3 times a year. This past Thursday was my 3rd, otherwise I would love to go back at least once more this year.

Hopefully the border will open back up next year so you can make the trip up. I also missed going to the Ridge this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      09-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #13712
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
If we plan it right, you can take my junk around laguna seca for a session. One of my favorite tracks and general areas. Great food.
Haha noted.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #13713
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hopefully the border will open back up next year so you can make the trip up. I also missed going to the Ridge this year.
Also, Pacific is worth visiting down here. Pretty sick vintage racetrack with high speeds through a hilly forest, and some bumpy and committing zones.
      09-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #13714
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha noted.
You could seriously write an article on the laguna trip itself. The food, where to stay, the car culture of the area, and a couple laps in the titanium chariot down the corkscrew.
      09-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #13715
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
You could seriously write an article on the laguna trip itself. The food, where to stay, the car culture of the area, and a couple laps in the titanium chariot down the corkscrew.
No doubt, but you live so far away the flight would get me upside down on the return on investment, but......

if I am over in CA for another story, I will def take you up on the offer.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11591.50
      09-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #13716
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No doubt, but you live so far away the flight would get me upside down on the return on investment, but......

if I am over in CA for another story, I will def take you up on the offer.
It's an investment in fun and unforgettable memories. And it pays dividends.
      09-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #13717
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

I am trying to check off some tracks around the USA. I know there are some arrive and drive exotic car programs like Xtreme Xperience, but what other low key options are there.

I forgot what the program was, but I remember one group would do a legit track day, but you could pay like X amount for 1 lap to get a "test" in, but that was pre-COVID and I dont remember seeing that in recent years. I know it wasn't Track Night in America, but I don't remember who it was.

Quirt Racing at MotorSport Ranch Cresson (southwest of Fort Worth, TX) has several Porsches you can rent: a Spec Boxster, a Cayman, and a 996 Cup car.

Otherwise, if you want to go all-out, W2W Racing does arrive-and-drive with Cayman GT4 Cup cars at a variety of tracks (COTA, Barber, NOLA, etc), though they are based in Texas. I think it's $3500 a day, all inclusive.
Kelse921133.50
      09-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #13718
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Also, Pacific is worth visiting down here. Pretty sick vintage racetrack with high speeds through a hilly forest, and some bumpy and committing zones.
Yes! I want to check out pacific raceway. Signed up for an event there back in June but that got cancelled. Hopefully next year!
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      09-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #13719
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Also first time running video via GoPro with external mic and overlaid Solo 2 data via Race Render. Took awhile to sync it up, it was kind of pain to do

Last edited by LeveragedTiger; 12-28-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1589.00
      09-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #13720
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeveragedTiger View Post
That was me.

First time I've ever binned my car. Third time I've spun it now, so thinking I need to monkey with the rear suspension settings and/or add some aero in the back. Rear end is kinda spooky even with -2.2 camber, staggered fitment and exhaust + engine tune. Or maybe I'm just a shitty driver?

I'll post the GoPro footage once it's processed.
Could be setup. The rear end on these shouldn't be too sketchy, especially with staggered fitment. Hope you get it fixed up and back out soon. Sorry it happened. Breaking stuff always sucks.
      09-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #13721
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Could be setup. The rear end on these shouldn't be too sketchy, especially with staggered fitment. Hope you get it fixed up and back out soon. Sorry it happened. Breaking stuff always sucks.
I'm on MCS 2WNR. Running 8 for rebound, and 7 for compression. Thinking I need to slow down rebound to make it less skittish? Maybe a little more toe in as well (+2mm currently).

Last edited by LeveragedTiger; 12-28-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Montaver2270.50
XKxRome0ox1589.00
      09-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #13722
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Watched it without sound. Looks like car was unsettled cresting that hill because there was steering angle. Try pre-positioning the car next time for these crests so you can land with the steering wheel straight

(with sound: also sounds like there was a throttle lift)

Last edited by kyippee; 09-13-2020 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 3
Bartledoo2691.50
beats225.00
      09-13-2020, 02:22 AM   #13723
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Watched it without sound. Looks like car was unsettled cresting that hill because there was steering angle. Try pre-positioning the car next time for these crests so you can land with the steering wheel straight

I'd echo this.
      09-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #13724
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

so was that turn 11 that MaximusB mentioned?

Quote:
I'm on MCS 2WNR. Running 8 for rebound, and 7 for compression. Thinking I need to slow down rebound to make it less skittish? Maybe a little more toe in as well (+2mm currently).

Here's the video (fast-forward to 1:30)

Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #13725
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

First, I am sorry for your mishap and glad to see you are OK.

I was thinking the same.
both tracks I go to, NYST and LRP have a jump that you spend time going slower to learn the line that allows you to you position the car to jump with ~0 steering angle land then apply steering if needed (NYST).

It is only after you jump with a straight steering you can add more speed. We had an E46 M3 that got sever damage on Friday jumping the hill, landing, and to going to the tire wall.

It was not clear to me if that can be done on that track.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #13726
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:

Here's the video (fast-forward to 1:30)

Turn 11 is literally a car killer. Glad you're alright and the damage is as minimal as it is - could have been A LOT worse.

Turn down the rear rebound a bit and add more toe-in out back. Both will help get the rear end more settled.
Appreciate 1
MaximusB1404.00
      09-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #13727
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Agreed. My thoughts as well.

I'm highly annoyed with myself, because I thought I was coming over the crest with no steering angle, but GoPro says I was. Whether this was because I was taking more speed through the corner by the afternoon, which means I was too slow in correcting, or whether I had been going through with steering angle all morning, I'll never know.

Nevertheless, my first instinct once the car's all fixed is to go straight back to Area 27 and get it right!!

Last question, what's the impact of the throttle lift before the crest? I'm assuming this further lightens the rear-end and exaggerates the loose rear from the crest?
      09-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #13728
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
That was me.

First time I've ever binned my car. Third time I've spun it now, so thinking I need to monkey with the rear suspension settings and/or add some aero in the back. Rear end is kinda spooky even with -2.2 camber, staggered fitment and exhaust + engine tune. Or maybe I'm just a shitty driver?
Glad you're okay though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClutch888 View Post
so was that turn 11 that MaximusB mentioned?
Yes, that's the infamous turn 11. My friend lost his S2000 (not the blue CR) there last year. I had an instructor from Area 27 Academy with me when I was there last month, and he didn't want me to tackle turn 11 all morning. Kept telling me to slow down and stay off the apex. It was until the afternoon where he was comfortable with my lines before he started giving me pointers for that corner. By then he drove enough fear in me that I now hit the brake and chicken out going into 11.
Appreciate 0