BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Deal Breaker

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/04...ersion_04.html

This article states that the M3 pictures that were released on 4/4/07 are of the 100% final production model. While only four of the links work, they are the same pictures featured in the Car and Driver article here: http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...otos-info.html

I am extremely disappointed in BMW and their efforts. While the exterior of this car is quite attractive and the specs are so far impressive, the interior is a tremendous let down.

The interior of a car is very important to me as it is where I spend about 95% of my time interacting with the vehicle. For a car as unique, powerful, and exclusive as an M3, I demand a more luxurious interior. I realize this is a sport oriented GT coupe, but a sport interior can be done with an exceptional amount of luxury in this price range. For example, look at the recent photos of the Audi S5 http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/N...Show-53/page5/ or any base 911 to see what a current generation interior should be. If the shots we've seen are truly the new M3 interior, BMW is about 2 generations behind.

I realize this car will have outstanding performance, however I question where and when I'll be able to use that performance. On legal streets, its very difficult to fully realize even the 335's potential, let alone the new M3's business. While many here talk about the track, I will most likely never track an M3. If I do make my way to the track, I think I will do so in a car designed for the track, such as a Porsche Cayman S or a Lotus Elise S. As such, the M3 is more about the full overall package for me than about performance. This means a current generation, quality interior is a must, and I just don't see that in the new M3.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post

This article states that the M3 pictures that were released on 4/4/07 are of the 100% final production model. While only four of the links work, they are the same pictures featured in the Car and Driver article here: http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...otos-info.html

I am extremely disappointed in BMW and their efforts. While the exterior of this car is quite attractive and the specs are so far impressive, the interior is a tremendous let down.

The interior of a car is very important to me as it is where I spend about 95% of my time interacting with the vehicle. For a car as unique, powerful, and exclusive as an M3, I demand a more luxurious interior. I realize this is a sport oriented GT coupe, but a sport interior can be done with an exceptional amount of luxury in this price range. For example, look at the recent photos of the Audi S5 http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/N...Show-53/page5/ or any base 911 to see what a current generation interior should be. If the shots we've seen are truly the new M3 interior, BMW is about 2 generations behind.

I realize this car will have outstanding performance, however I question where and when I'll be able to use that performance. On legal streets, its very difficult to fully realize even the 335's potential, let alone the new M3's business. While many here talk about the track, I will most likely never track an M3. If I do make my way to the track, I think I will do so in a car designed for the track, such as a Porsche Cayman S or a Lotus Elise S. As such, the M3 is more about the full overall package for me than about performance. This means a current generation, quality interior is a must, and I just don't see that in the new M3.
Can you please substantiate your statement!? Which particular points do you not like 'bout the interior. Especially I can't follow your comparison with the 911. Don't know if you US guys do have more leather equipment standard, but the european standard 911 interior is full of plastic material.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Do you remember the Porsche 959 or the Jaguar XJ220? The interior in those cars were drab for the time as well, especially the 959. I think a different leather colour and or carpet will add effect. But i do understand your point it doesnt look the most interesting of interiors.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
That is sad. The interior is overly bland and so outdated. The pattern on the seats are so 80's. I think it might actually look worse than the regular 3 series interior.
How can they do this? Such a dissapointment.
They really need to get with the times.
The interior is just so odd for a $70k car.
I thought the previous gen M3 interior was kinda weak.
This hurts my overall enjoyment in my downpayment.
      04-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

How did you feel about the interior of the M3 Concept?, because apart from the alcantara steering wheel, that's effectively how it will look.

Within BMW the viewpoint seems to be that the interior of the production M3 looks plusher and more appealing than the Concept. But I would agree the grey interior doesn't sell it very well.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
How did you feel about the interior of the M3 Concept?, because apart from the alcantara steering wheel, that's effectively how it will look.

Honestly, I had hoped that the interior of the concept was not indicative of the production version. BMW had blacked out the windows of the concept and did not release any information or pictures of the interior of the car, so I had hoped that it was just a quick fix for the show car with a much imporved interior to come.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

What do you want in an interior exactly? I don't understand what some people were expecting to find on the inside? Look at the E46 M3 interior as an example - what was that different from the standard car? Do you want goofy looking proper racing seats with a red harness? More boy-racer(ricer?) CF bits all about?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
southlight
Rep

Take a look at this, looks so hot IMHO:

[source: www.bmw.de ]

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
South,

That shot hasn't been shown anywhere else? Have any more shots to change our minds?
The backseat pic is especially disturbing.

The side bolsters don't look like your typical adjustable kind.
      04-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

m3 envy????

lol...aerisol..for someone who appears to hate the new m3 (from all the negative posts you've written and constant audi superiority remarks), you sure do troll around here quite a bit. it appears you look up more info on the new m3 than anyone else here. why follow a car sooo intently that you dislike soo much???

hmm....u either have m3 "envy" or are a troll. don't feed the trolls folks!

Last edited by ajj; 04-05-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: none
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
South,

That shot hasn't been shown anywhere else? Have any more shots to change our minds?
The backseat pic is especially disturbing.

The side bolsters don't look like your typical adjustable kind.
That's the only interior shot so far, but more exterior pictures here in Greg's post.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ajj

I actually have loved BMW automobiles for over 10 years and am quite excited about the new M3. My recent negative posts have been in regards to over pricing the vehicle for what it is and pictures of what seem to be a sub par interior. It may well be that this is sitting in my garage next July, but it won't happen just because its an "M3".

As far as looking up information, I am an anesthesiologist with time off this week so it is just habit for me to have as much information as possible at my disposal before making decisions or making statements.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

haaa..my apologies..just have never heard u say anything positive about the car in all your posts..made me wonder.

ps. i believe u when you say you have a lot of free time...i luv u guys..im an interventional radiologist and use u guys all the time! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

I can relate to the concerns about the BMW interiors vs. the competition. You would think that if BMW is going to charge $65-70K for the next M3, they would upgrade the interior to make it special over the standard 3 series. Having said that, BMW has never placed a high priority on interior aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post

Within BMW the viewpoint seems to be that the interior of the production M3 looks plusher and more appealing than the Concept. But I would agree the grey interior doesn't sell it very well.

The shapes are the same, but the carbon is conspicuously absent on the production model (not that it matters to me). Carbon pattern leather is offered instead. IMHO the carbon pattern leather does not look very good.

To me the interior is fine. Nothing innovative to be sure, but that is what I expected anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #16
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

I have the carbon pattern leather on the dash of my Z4M Coupe and for me its one of the best and more expensive trims I have owned on a BMW. Certainly better than fake aluminum or wood veneer.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
dan6470
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

I really do not understand where many of you people are coming from. I drive an E90 330xi and I love the interior and I am glad that the M3 is for the most part the same. The simplistic look is amazing and iDrive is great also. Why would anyone want such a complicated and busy interior like an Audi?...even the 911 is kinda busy for me. This isn't an airplane cockpit...its a BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #18
TheDreamer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Scion Tc

Interior is very important to me as well, because you spend so much time in it. However, while the M3's interior isnt the most plush or exquisite, it's certainly not the worst. +, besides the I-Drive, it looks to be fairly spartan, and should let me focus the majority of my attention on the road, which is the way I like it
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
ddsm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330ci

Quote:
ajj

I actually have loved BMW automobiles for over 10 years and am quite excited about the new M3. My recent negative posts have been in regards to over pricing the vehicle for what it is and pictures of what seem to be a sub par interior. It may well be that this is sitting in my garage next July, but it won't happen just because its an "M3".

As far as looking up information, I am an anesthesiologist with time off this week so it is just habit for me to have as much information as possible at my disposal before making decisions or making statements.
You own a g35. How important is interior really to you? Not to be an ass, but BMW interiors are far superior to any Infiniti interior. Granted the m3 interior isn't as sport as the e46 interior, but it looks pretty decent to me. Porsche interiors aren't great. They come with a bunch of plastic if you don't spend 3k on full leather.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:

So, essentially, you're looking for a car only to impress your friends. Maybe the M3 isn't for you. Especially if you're all about luxury and not performance. Go MB or Audi.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0