BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #23
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I have been involved with 3 total loss accidents in the last 10 years, none of them my fault.

1) you're apparently OK

2) it's a car, it can be replaced

3) I can't help you with value, that aspect of it may suck

4) bottom line, you lived to tell the tale, you'll get another car and everything will be OK.

You have to keep the focus on the big picture, you and your loved ones/family or fine. I've kind of reset my clock on what is really important and what is not.

Glad you walked away from what could have been a really bad accident.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34448.50
SDPLV493.00
      07-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #24
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
again, unless you are speaking from experience, please stop posting your opinion. i got $10k more than original offer after going over complete options list 3 months ago.
The funny thing about opinions is that you're not the only one that gets to share yours, so could we try to be civil?

I've got 'enough' experience dealing with auto insurance settlements. The sources the insurance company uses to determine the value of a 10-year-old M3 will show about $2k of difference in value between a base model and a completely loaded model. I would guess that they're going to offer something in the very low $20s. I would say that it's unreasonable to think a loaded '08 will net $10k more in an insurance settlement than the most basic model.

I've actually gotten better money from mods (with receipts) than factory options because while loaded cars cost barely any more than base models on the used market, mods can really only be valued by the cost to replace them.

YMMV.
      07-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Sorry to see but glad you walked away from it.

I've never seen detailed specs for specific combinations, only the most general stuff like "Alpine White sedans for 2011". There was some information on ZCP vs non-ZCP straight from BMW NA, but I've never seen it broken down by interior color and options.
      07-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #26
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Could you have it towed to your garage (if you have one) to take the mods off and sell separately?
Appreciate 1
Mvy537.50
      07-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #27
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wow serious accident...go to the doctor, they will start sweating and give you full coverage plus any costs for your inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Glad you are ok. The money to be recovered here will be pain and suffering from your injuries vs the car itself. To pull together the kind of money to replace the car, keep that in mind. Id agree its going to be hard to get more than 20k for the total. And if practical, pull the mods off and sell them as Smyles noted. That will bring you a few extra bucks.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #29
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Glad you're not more hurt from that impact. That's a scary looking collision

So colors like Interlagos Blue that cost extra new are not taken into consideration with replacement values?
      07-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

you could keep the car. the insurance will give you slightly less money but you could sell your mods and the engine and transmission and come out ahead.
i did this with an e36 m3 that was total loss. i took 500 less kept the car and made an additional 3500.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #31
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfst1 View Post
you could keep the car. the insurance will give you slightly less money but you could sell your mods and the engine and transmission and come out ahead.
i did this with an e36 m3 that was total loss. i took 500 less kept the car and made an additional 3500.
And put your Fox Red interior in your new car if you cannot live without it!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #32
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

That's right
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #33
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Everyone parrots this idea but in practical terms it's going to be a nightmare unless you have a lot of garage space, huge array of tools (such as an engine hoist), and the time/patience to disassemble. Then there's the issue of disposing of the "leftovers", e.g. all the body panels, subframe, and whatever else you couldn't sell.

Sure, if time and money were no object, keep it and part it out. But we all have jobs, families, and lives to live so the proposition tends to fall apart once you look at the logistics involved.

My advice would be to talk to your own insurance agent and explain the situation around the unusual combination/rarity of that. Ask them how to proceed to ensure you don't get completely dicked by the other guy's insurance on valuation.
      07-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #34
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
The funny thing about opinions is that you're not the only one that gets to share yours, so could we try to be civil?

I've got 'enough' experience dealing with auto insurance settlements. The sources the insurance company uses to determine the value of a 10-year-old M3 will show about $2k of difference in value between a base model and a completely loaded model. I would guess that they're going to offer something in the very low $20s. I would say that it's unreasonable to think a loaded '08 will net $10k more in an insurance settlement than the most basic model.

I've actually gotten better money from mods (with receipts) than factory options because while loaded cars cost barely any more than base models on the used market, mods can really only be valued by the cost to replace them.

YMMV.
funny thing to me is that you dont understand the difference between opinions and facts based on relevant experience. my career is in the auto collision industry. i deal with this stuff on a daily basis, and my comments arent for your benefit, its for the OP's benefit in order to give them ammo for fighting the insurance companies.

again, options heavily affect the valuation of the vehicle. modifications DO NOT unless you have an aftermarket parts amendment on your policy. i will state again, my initial settlement offer from my insurance was $25k, i told them no way in hell i would settle, and after going over my own comps and a complete vehicle options list i was offered $35k and accepted. this is a fact, not my opinion. 2 years ago my 335d was totalled, it was a fully optioned M-sport model. First settlement offer from insurance was $13k. After explaining that there was not another model for sale in the country with comparable options, they readjusted the value and offered me $21.5k, i accepted. This is another fact, it happened.
      07-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #35
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Wow, that's quite a hit! Looks like I-405 NB just before Bothell-Everett HWY exit?

Also is that a Euro bumper? You should snag that thing, looks like it can be resprayed! Er, unless that's a crack I see...
Yep, that's exactly where the accident was, I was in the far right lane that turns into the exit lane as I was on my way to the Discount Tire on Bothell-Everett Hwy.

And yes, it was a euro bumper (technically it was my OEM bumper and I had a shop fill in/mold to remove the amber side markers - way cheaper than buying an actual euro bumper!). And sadly yes, the front drivers-side was damaged pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Aren't the mods a useless claim without receipts or useless in general regarding payback?
No, not necessarily. If the accident were my own fault and I did not have them listed on my policy then yes, mods are useless (if its your own fault and you do have them listed on your policy then you're covered - ironically that is/was the case with the wheels i have for this car, i just didnt have them on the car at the time of the accident because I was on my way to get new tires put on my factory wheels). When an accident is not your fault, insurance is required to return your vehicle to how it was prior to the accident.

*I learned that insurance will also reimburse for any maintenance paid within the last 6 months (this was news to me, i had no idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
"Is there somewhere I can find production specs for specific color combos (based on exterior and interior color) "

I believe you can find all that production data on this forum, in the stickies at the top.
I did read through that sticky before posting however it only lists production specs for exterior color - there is no info in the sticky regarding interior color (which is specifically what I'm looking for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Could you have it towed to your garage (if you have one) to take the mods off and sell separately?
Unfortunately every single aftermarket part was damaged in the accident except for one tail light. I do plan on at least finding out what the buy-back price will be just so I can entertain the idea of swapping the S65 into my E30 (in all honesty though, my E30 would be a death-trap at that point so I would end up selling the motor and using the funds to buy an S54 or similar - something a little more suitable for an E30 to make fun and fast without being scary fast). The interior is in near perfect condition (other than the seam-damage from the air bags deploying and seams can be resewn) and the factory wheels are in decent shape but those are about the only items salvageable on the entire car.

Quote:
Yep, I do plan on finding out what the buy-back price will be to see if it's even worth the effort of parting it out. Keeping my fingers crossed on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Everyone parrots this idea but in practical terms it's going to be a nightmare unless you have a lot of garage space, huge array of tools (such as an engine hoist), and the time/patience to disassemble. Then there's the issue of disposing of the "leftovers", e.g. all the body panels, subframe, and whatever else you couldn't sell.

Sure, if time and money were no object, keep it and part it out. But we all have jobs, families, and lives to live so the proposition tends to fall apart once you look at the logistics involved.
I totally agree. Luckily I do have the garage space and enough of the necessary tools. Since there aren't a ton of salvageable parts, parting it out wouldn't be too difficult but yes on time consuming. In all honesty, I doubt i'll end up buying it back unless the price is worth it. I've already got a buyer for the engine and transmission and a few other pieces but it'll all just depend on price.

Last edited by .Lindsay.; 07-18-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #36
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Sorry this happened to you, hope you are ok. Hate seeing things like this happen to e92 M's. Hope you find your way into another one!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #37
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Sorry for your loss. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Check the BMW M-Registry for additional information on production figures:
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50

Also there are a few threads in here that cover production stats. You should find a bit more info on your specific color. Truthfully though, the Alpine White was one of the more popular colors. I'm not sure if it'll pull you a premium such as having an actual individual color. Either way, good luck and glad that you're still around to search for another M3.

Aggregated E90/E92 M3 Production Stats (North America) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863761

Final E92/E90 M3 Production Numbers and DCT/MT Take Rates (NA and Worldwide) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863649
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
dpsb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP LMB

Ugh, so sorry! Glad you're ok. I don't know how they come up with comps, and my car is a 2011 E90 ZCP, but I just bought it a couple months ago and I'm happy to share the bill of sale, etc if that would help your case at all. Just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #39
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your car saved your life. Glad to see that you are okay!

That is another reason I love these cars. I always feel like I am much safer in mine than most other cars I have been in - even for a 10 yr old car to walk away from a hit like that is incredible.

Once the dust has settled and insurance gives you an agreement, maybe you could get an attorney and get an extra $10k+ to get you back in the car you deserve to be in.

I've also never had a wreck like this (*knock on wood*), and I know someday it could happen, just scares the crap outta me but its reassuring knowing the M3 will take the beating instead of me.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #40
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

This really has been an interesting thread for only three days. How long does it usually take for insurance to make their offer?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #41
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
Sorry for your loss. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Check the BMW M-Registry for additional information on production figures:
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50

Also there are a few threads in here that cover production stats. You should find a bit more info on your specific color. Truthfully though, the Alpine White was one of the more popular colors. I'm not sure if it'll pull you a premium such as having an actual individual color. Either way, good luck and glad that you're still around to search for another M3.

Aggregated E90/E92 M3 Production Stats (North America) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863761

Final E92/E90 M3 Production Numbers and DCT/MT Take Rates (NA and Worldwide) https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863649
Thanks. I actually did already read through all of those posts with products stats but none include the info i'm looking for. I know Apline White was one of the most common colors but it's the interior color stats that i'm most interested in. Thank you though, I appreciate the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsb View Post
Ugh, so sorry! Glad you're ok. I don't know how they come up with comps, and my car is a 2011 E90 ZCP, but I just bought it a couple months ago and I'm happy to share the bill of sale, etc if that would help your case at all. Just let me know.
I don't know how they come up with comps either but i got the first initial estimate from the insurance company and the "comp" they used was no where near an actual comp. Literally the only thing that was the same/similar is the year and make. Everything else that adds or subtracts value (including condition, mileage, etc) was no where near the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Your car saved your life. Glad to see that you are okay!
It truly did save my life. I honestly give partial credit to the seats - I'm fairly small so i keep the bolsters at the tightest setting and I'm pretty sure that helped me from being jarred around too much. I also had both hands on the wheel at the time, which isnt always the case, and that certainly helped as I was able to control the car a little better immediately after getting hit. I'm seriously thanking my lucky stars, there are so many 'what if' scenarios that keep crossing my mind and all would have resulted in a much different ending, like the fact that I was planning on driving my E30 that day but the night before, decided against it because I was going to try and get an appointment at the tire shop. Had i actually driven my E30 that day, I dont think i'd be here to tell about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
This really has been an interesting thread for only three days. How long does it usually take for insurance to make their offer?
I had the same question and can now answer it - I got the first initial offer yesterday so it took one week. Not sure how long the going back-and-forth will take before we come to an agreeable amount though.

Last edited by .Lindsay.; 07-20-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #42
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

And.....What was the offer?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #43
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
And.....What was the offer?
$21k
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #44
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
SickFinga Do you think you could help .Lindsay. with a production number of this configuration? Might help with the valuation process.
Appreciate 0