BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

My car was totaled, tips/advice on insurance, etc

Last week I was rear-ended on the freeway and my car was totaled. I'm beyond devastated, my M3 was my baby and was planning to keep it forever. I've never been in an accident before so this is all very new to me and I'm looking for any tips or advice on dealing with insurance and getting a fair price for my car.

Basic details:
•Car specs: 2008 E92 M3, Alpine White with Fox Red interior, manual transmission, 84k miles. Lightly modified - KW V3 coilovers, Encore Innovations Titanium exhaust, carbon fiber Vorsteiner trunk lid, LCI tails, car was on stock wheels at the time (style 220's with 18mm/15mm spacers front/back) and i had my front bumper filled in/molded to remove the amber side-markers for a euro-style bumper.
•Other party was 100% at-fault and their insurance has accepted full responsibility (I'm going through my own insurance and then they will seek reimbursement from the other company)

When i started searching for this car, i had 4 must haves: alpine white exterior, red interior, 2-door coupe and manual trans. It took 9 months to find and I ended up purchasing it sight-unseen from a dealership 3,000 miles away, then had it shipped (which took another 3+ weeks ). I'm not sure how rare/common the white on red is but i do know how infrequently they come up for sale (and how fast they go when they do come up for sale) but from everything i'm reading and hearing, it sounds like insurance won't take that into consideration when determining the fair market value.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and have any tips or advice for me? Is there somewhere I can find production specs for specific color combos (based on exterior and interior color) to find out how many similar cars were made (hoping this might help add value to my car but more so will tell me whether i'll stand any chance of finding another one to buy)? Any particular sites i should look to find comps for sale (or recently sold) other than forums, craigslist, autotrader/cars.com, etc?

And now for pics:

Luckily i was able to steer away from hitting the guardrail head-on and instead came into contact just behind the drivers door

Took this pic while sitting in the patrol car waiting for the tow truck to get there. State Patrol officer was filling out the rest of the paperwork for the guardrail damage (DOT property damage)

After being dragged out of the ditch and before being loaded onto the tow truck

Guardrail did it's job and slowed me down enough to come to a stop just a few feet from a tree and the ravine

And a few more from the impound lot:

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 5
      07-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Wow that is a bad hit, glad to hear you seem to have got away from it ok OP! No advice for you mate other than focus on being healthy and happy, getting another car will be a minor detail here.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Damn ! I'm so sorry man ! And feel your pain..
Yeah. It's #reallysucks !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Did he bump you while at speed? Glad your OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

make sure when they look up the comps that its for same color combination/options. also find your own comps to counter them. Never take the first settlement offer from insurance, the claim does not close until you accept settlement.
      07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

They're not going to take color into account when calculating a settlement, unless you can show that the market value of the car is legitimately higher because of it. Hell, you'll have trouble even getting them to value options for much on an '08.

I do agree that you don't want to take their first offer. I'd head to the doctor, as well. I was in a virtually identical situation years ago (stopped on highway, rear-ended by kid in 3/4-ton pickup going 55mph) and I ended up getting about $15k more than the initial offer, mostly by not being in a hurry to sign the settlement offer.
      07-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

What is your estimate for what the car is worth?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
They're not going to take color into account when calculating a settlement, unless you can show that the market value of the car is legitimately higher because of it. Hell, you'll have trouble even getting them to value options for much on an '08.
this is not true. i work in the industry, and had 2 of my e90 total in the last 2 years.
      07-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

wow ... that's is some hit
basically damage to almost every panel and side of the car

please get yourself a reputable personal injury lawyer in your state
i'm sure you're physically banged up from that hit
make sure you get fully checked out and treated ... you don't want the injuries to keep bugging you for years down the road

any decent law firm will have people who can help you in dealing with the property damage as well. i know i do that for my clients although it's a lot of time and doesn't add to my fees

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Wow, that's quite a hit! Looks like I-405 NB just before Bothell-Everett HWY exit?

I agree it's a good idea to use your own insurance vs. the other party, even though they've already accepted liability. Your company will have more of your interests in mind than the other driver's carrier.

I'd start looking for similar year, color combo, etc. and have your own research ready to go, vs. just waiting on your insurance to come back with a value and presenting it to you. Agree with others don't accept the first offer.

Also is that a Euro bumper? You should snag that thing, looks like it can be resprayed! Er, unless that's a crack I see...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Did he bump you while at speed? Glad your OK.
I'm guessing she was going at least 60-65mph (freeway speeds) when she hit me and I'm guessing I was going about 40-45mph ish. I was in the far right lane and my lane was coming to an abrupt stop/slow down due to a car up ahead having engine problems. That car quickly swerved onto the shoulder so my lane was just starting to accelerate again when she slammed into the back of me without ever seeing me or the brake lights or touching her brakes.

There was no one behind me when we first started braking so I'm guessing she was either merging into my lane or had swerved into my lane because she admitted that she wasnt looking because she was too distracted by the car that had pulled onto the shoulder. I'm not sure how or why but she ended up hitting me 2 or 3 times (2 for sure and i'm about 95% sure there was a 3rd hit) before i slammed into the guardrail and came to a stop in the ditch/ravine.

We are both incredibly lucky - neither of us had any passengers with us and there were no major injuries. It did f*ck up traffic pretty bad for about 2 hours in the middle of the day, and my 92yr old grandma saw my car on breaking news 3 hours away (although luckily she didnt know it was my car at the time), but all in all it could have been much, much worse.

*As a sidenote - there is a valid argument that lowered suspension can save lives. My car ended up coming to a stop about 3 feet in front of a large tree because i bottomed-out and got high-centered on the rough and bumpy terrain (the same terrain is what ripped my exhaust off as the tow truck was dragging my car out ). But had my car not been lowered, I may not have stopped until i hit the tree.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
make sure when they look up the comps that its for same color combination/options. also find your own comps to counter them. Never take the first settlement offer from insurance, the claim does not close until you accept settlement.
Thank you. That's definitely my plan, the hardest part is just finding cars with the same color combo (let alone options). Keeping my fingers crossed i'll be able to find some comps!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I do agree that you don't want to take their first offer. I'd head to the doctor, as well.
I do worry that color won't be taken into account for the settlement, mainly because there's not really a way to prove the color adds value. I can certainly prove that this specific color combo doesnt come up for sale often and can also show that they sell very quickly (sometimes within hours) when they do come up for sale, but how do you relate that into a monetary value....

And yes, I went to the doctor the following day and was referred to a Physical Therapist and massage therapist. I'm definitely making sure I get checked out by all the right people and won't be letting a single ache or pain from this go untreated as i know injuries can come up later down the line if left untreated.

Quote:
this is not true. i work in the industry, and had 2 of my e90 total in the last 2 years.
Oh really?! That's really promising to hear! I spoke briefly with a lawyer earlier and he didnt think color would be taken into consideration (although he also sounded very rushed to get off the phone and didnt want to answer many of my questions so who knows.. )
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
What is your estimate for what the car is worth?
I honestly havent even had a chance to do any research yet. I know the value of the aftermarket parts and have started that list and i'll be checking kbb and nada within the next few days so i can get a basic idea for the car's value.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Which part are you referring to? Unless the color combo is part of some special edition that adds value, it's highly doubtful that they're going to offer a higher settlement. As for the options, these are 10-year-old cars, so that original iDrive isn't going to add much to the bottom line.
      07-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #16
cromagnon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

You can probably claim the tax paid on a replacement vehicle. I’m sure there’s a time limitation though.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which part are you referring to? Unless the color combo is part of some special edition that adds value, it's highly doubtful that they're going to offer a higher settlement. As for the options, these are 10-year-old cars, so that original iDrive isn't going to add much to the bottom line.
again, unless you are speaking from experience, please stop posting your opinion. i got $10k more than original offer after going over complete options list 3 months ago.
      07-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Aren't the mods a useless claim without receipts or useless in general regarding payback?
      07-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #19
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 991.1 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Lindsay. View Post
I do worry that color won't be taken into account for the settlement, mainly because there's not really a way to prove the color adds value. I can certainly prove that this specific color combo doesnt come up for sale often and can also show that they sell very quickly (sometimes within hours) when they do come up for sale, but how do you relate that into a monetary value....

And yes, I went to the doctor the following day and was referred to a Physical Therapist and massage therapist. I'm definitely making sure I get checked out by all the right people and won't be letting a single ache or pain from this go untreated as i know injuries can come up later down the line if left untreated.

Oh really?! That's really promising to hear! I spoke briefly with a lawyer earlier and he didnt think color would be taken into consideration (although he also sounded very rushed to get off the phone and didnt want to answer many of my questions so who knows.. )
Did they give you an MRI? .. please make sure to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #20
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Had this happen to my 08 Interlagos back in April. The adjuster provided an estimate on my repairs (over $17k) and decided to total the car. They sent me a full breakdown with a check amount. I corrected a few items, adjusted the price by $500 and that was it. Whole ordeal took 2 weeks. I had a rental covered by insurance for 3.5 weeks until I could find a replacement (had to ask for extension since the initial rental was only 2 weeks).

Been without a M3 (or any car) ever since. Been itching to get back into something. Thinking a w204 C63 this time #begentle

Best of luck mate. PM me if you have any other questions.
      07-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #21
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

@.Lindsay.

"Is there somewhere I can find production specs for specific color combos (based on exterior and interior color) "

I believe you can find all that production data on this forum, in the stickies at the top.

Happy you're OK, not happy you have to go through this.
      07-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #22
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

KBB and Nada are probably gonna be between $18 and 22k. They will probably try to fight you for lower end and you can fight for higher end. But if I had to guess just from what I have seen 2008's go for here you would be at $23kish to find the same car due to manual and Fox Red. Not sure if you are thinking more or less. Would love to see jiggz and UPSROD give an opinion.
Appreciate 0